US geography

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ninipelley

US geography

Post by ninipelley » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:19 pm

Can ya'll tell me when and if there is a study on USA, in particular each State? I can't seem to figure out which guide this takes place in and I feel kind of pressured to cover this soon. In 2nd grade..
2011-2012 plan
9.5 yr dd Preparing
7 yr ds finishing LHFHG
4 yr dd learning letters
almost 3yr dd tagging along

pjdobro

Re: US geography

Post by pjdobro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:39 pm

I don't think there is a study of the USA in any of the current guides. You will learn bits and pieces along the way while studying some of American History, but not real specific information on each state. How much state information do you need to cover? Would just covering the states and capitols be enough? There are quite a few resources available that wouldn't be too expensive or time consuming to look at some basic state info. We have a nice wooden puzzle that has the states' name and capital on it that the dc enjoy. It's a good way to sneak a little of that info in. :wink:
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

ninipelley

Post by ninipelley » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 pm

WEll, we don't NEED to, I guess I just thought it was important to cover
2011-2012 plan
9.5 yr dd Preparing
7 yr ds finishing LHFHG
4 yr dd learning letters
almost 3yr dd tagging along

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:32 am

With Bigger you make flashcards of state names and abbreviations. I can't remember if capitals were optional or not, but we did them as well. My children were required to study them for a few minutes every day with our map puzzle or an atlas and learn where each state was, the postal abbreviation and how to correctly spell the name of the state and the capital. At the end, I gave them a test that used a map with numbers for each of the states. On their papers, they had to write the name of the state, the abbreviation and the capital that went with each number (all spelled correctly). They had to take the test until they got them all right. During the time where they were studying their "state cards" I also had books on the coffee table that had interesting facts about the fifty states. They learned a lot with very little time added and it coordinated well with what Carrie was already doing in Bigger.
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:22 pm

That's great to know! :o You see, we're just at the beginning of Bigger and I had no idea that was ahead. I didn't notice anything like that in the table of contents or in the introduction. MommyMc,I love how you added just a little to the activity to compliment it. So OP, it looks like you'll be all set in your States study when you get to Bigger. :) Sorry to lead you astray. :wink:
Patty in NC

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:15 pm

My dd's aunt sent us Highlights state magazines. When ever I see an opportunity I add these fun work books in. They have a map of the state and history and famous places. I sort of use them as a unit study (for fun). When we were doing Daniel Boon he started out in Kentucky so we did that work book that week we didn't finish it but it sure was fun :-)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:42 pm

ninipelley,

In our upcoming guide after RTR there will be a 3 day a week state study where we will study each of the fifty states in depth. It is scheduled for this upcoming guide as the kiddos need to be old enough to be able to truly comprehend the time period and geography of the state study, and it also goes very well with the time period we will be studying as the states were becoming states for the first time! :D

In the guide to follow the new guide, there will be a once weekly state study scheduled to study your own state. Both of these studies will fulfill needed requirements and also be very interesting as they go with the time period of the guides! We desire to connect geography to history in each of our guides and feel that this plan meets that goal! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 pm

That's so neat Carrie that you have that planned in so we can cover all that state info including our own state without having to add to HOD! Thank you! :D
Patty in NC

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:52 pm

We're excited about it too! :D

Blessings,
Carrie