medical update...and 2nd and 3rd box days!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jewell

medical update...and 2nd and 3rd box days!

Post by jewell » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:31 pm

With all the flurry of dr activity, we have't offically started HOD yet. Not Even unofficially.
But no surgery looms on the horizon. HUGE sigh of relief...for now. Three feeding related tests later, we don't have any answers as to why he can't get things down. Two possibilities seem to exist.
1. he has a narrowing of esphophagus that they missed
2. his poor motor planning in other areas is affecting his eating.

we will repeat one test in may.

SO...now I've had my second box day as I got an incredible ebay deal on the reading program...do I really need to wait til next school year. Yes, jewell, they need to finish what they have started!

and I'm awaiting my third box day. can you believe someone offered me a FREE Little Hearts. And these precious folks at HOD were kind enough to exchange the one I bought for the next level up for my older son! I'm so excited!

jewell
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:59 pm

God answers prayers in many different ways. Celebrating His blessings with you! :D

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 am

I had been wondering about your little one! Thank you for the update and we will continue to pray.
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 am

I am excited to hear about your box days!!!
But I am sorry to hear about your lo!!! We have had struggles with Hannah Grace over the last 2 and 3/4 years. But we are praying for healing. I will pray for your lo also!!
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:22 pm

jewell,

Thanks so much for sharing your excitement! We'll also be praying for your little one, for healing and for answers.

Blessings,
Carrie

jewell

an eventful Friday...medical update

Post by jewell » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:29 pm

I don't want to make this a medical board, but some of you have been so kind as to show interest in our one year old w/ microcephaly. He is doing incredibly well in lots of ways, but feeding is still a huge issue. He is 15 months old and can't keep down foods that are thicker than puree. And he doesn't do much of that. Nutren, Jr is keeping him fairly well nourished, but he WANTS to eat.
Other tests didn't show anything, but there was a question raised that they wanted to repeat the swallow study.

For over a week, we were going back and fourth, trying to coordinate a dr appt and swallow study 2 hours away. It finally occured to me that our local speech therapist really liked someone 45 min away, for the modified barium study. So I let the dr. office know that.

On Friday am I received a call that they wanted to repeat Zakariah's swallow study at 1 in the afternoon! We got everyone loaded up and headed out in a bad rain. About the time it let up, in the opposite lane of traffic, we saw them cleaning up what was likely the worst accident I have ever seen. I was so glad I didn't do lunch in the car...the children may have seen more than I ever would want themt o have to see. We, of course prayed for the victims

This was the BEST visit since we moved. We hadn't been to this hospital, or seen this speech therapist before. The whole hospital and team was fantastic...except for their parking! The therapist is ALMOST as good as the one we left.

The swallow study went wonderfully well. The only abnormal thing was the disorganization in his mouth. No new news.

The therapist felt like the reason he wasn't keeping food down or eating much was due to the size of his jaw...extra-small. It looks like it's time to see the Pediatric Dentist at the University..which is over 3 hours away. And what he MAY say is not pretty, but I won't give you the details until I know that is what they need to do. Sometimes ignorance would be bliss.

We also discussed his need for sensory integration therapy, especially w/ the vestibular system (balance/movement). I've been doing this mostly on my own

Then I noticed he was rattle-y, and we discussed the possiblity of "milk study"test. --the one with the radiation.

When I drove home, I discussed this with my oldest daughter. The last time I remember him feeling like that was the last study.
Then we realized that we have always fed him in a nearly upright postion, and we just started letting him have a bottle in the van, and he just started getting ear infections (ear infections can be indicitive of reflux, which we haven't seen any other sign of)/ So I'll have to call the therapist early next week and she what she can make of that.

We then went to the Hands-On museum, which the boys really enjoyed for the hour they were there.

Then after a rather uneventful trip home (with a brief pause for the girls to run in and look out for skirt)

We got home about 8, and I beat dh home. But we still went out a bit after the wee ones were "put away" for the night.

I've wanted to start HOD w/ my three and almost 5 year olds, but I think I'm going to have them wait til Fall. We have so much in the Kumon series we can do til then.

ok, i'm really suppose to be scheduling my olders right now, so I'll be off.
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

jewell

pics? how

Post by jewell » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:53 pm

I've tried for a little while to post a pic of the little guy for you.
I've tried copying the pic.
That didn't work
I clicked on img, then added the number and .jpg
that didn't work
at least not in the preview.

My 16 year old call him
"cutie-pa-tutie"...and I want you to see why!
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Oh Jewell,
you took me back to when I first brought home My dd! We did all of those things. Swallow study, barium study ect... And we didn't get many answers either.
I'll be praying for you and Gods wisdom for your child. Our answers actually came from me siting down with all of my dd;s med records and praying really hard. God reveled to me a pattern in DD's med history when brought to the attention of the right Dr. cured her continual pneumonia (since age 4 months to 2 and a half years old). I know this is not Your issue But I hoped to encourage you! and to let you know we used both Godly and earthly wisdom for our Girl!
Thank you for the privilege to pray for your boy!

P.S. You need a hosting site to insert photos. One I use is "Photo bucket" upload to that site and then click on IMG line. At photo bucket it auto copies into your clip board and all you have to do is paste it in your post for all to see. Hope that helps

P.P. S. Many Kids in India don't eat "solid" food till they are 3 years old and they do just find <<<<<<huggles>>>>>

Post edited for spelling

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:48 am

jewell,

We'll continue to be in prayer for answers with your little one. Sorting through the issues to find the real problem can be overwhelming I'm sure. All 4 of my boys are refluxers, so we have experience with that one.

It sounds like you had a very busy day, but that you're still smiling! The Lord is good to give us what we need when we need it. You're an amazing woman. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

jewell

pictures of our little guy

Post by jewell » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:40 pm

He will be 15 months old this week.

jewell
mommy, educator of 10

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:46 pm

awww....he is precious! Love those eyes and sweet smile. :D

Isn't it a great feeling to learn how to post a pic?!? Of course, I learned and them promptly failed to post anymore.... :roll:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:26 pm

What a cute lil guy!!! I will be praying for his healing!
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 am

So adorable! Praying for him (and you!)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

jewell

Post by jewell » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:46 am

Thanks for enjoying him with me! that always does a momy's heart good
They are in the process of ordering that other test.
Between his needs, soem needed appts for other children w/ medical challenges and everyday life, and having recently moved, and a Sr graduating in May, I'm feeling this huge, ever-increasing gulf between where I need to be and where I am, and an slip into living under the tyranny of the urgent instead of getting the things done that are REALLY important...
how's that for a run-on sentence????
jewell
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

ashley3

Post by ashley3 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:21 pm

Jewell,
This is my first day on this board, so I don't know what all your ds has been through, but my ds had a similar situation and went through all kinds of tests and dr visits and finally the dr was convinced to do allergy tests before he was 2, and that was the answer. He was allergic to so many things that pretty much every thing he ate caused him to vomit, thus decreasing his desire to eat because the pain in his throat from all the acid.

I hope and pray that you find some answers.

Ashley