Substitution for Pedro's Journal in Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyMc

Substitution for Pedro's Journal in Preparing

Post by MommyMc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:54 pm

If my son just finished Bigger w/extensions, is there a recommended substitution for Pedro's Journal to use in Preparing? If not, we'll just use it. He has already read 1/2 to 2/3 of the books in Preparing and I still think it's a good study. But, since this repeat was one that many using HOD will have, I didn't know if there was a planned alternative. :) Thanks!
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

juliekay

Re: Substitution for Pedro's Journal in Preparing

Post by juliekay » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:34 pm

What about readingColumbus by Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire? AND if that is too quick of a read or you have already read it what about The Discovery of the Americas by Betsy and Giulio Maestro?
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

MommyMc

Re: Substitution for Pedro's Journal in Preparing

Post by MommyMc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:19 pm

He's read Columbus by D'Aulaire quite a few times. (We have that D'Aulaire set with Columbus, Benjamin Franklin, Leif the Lucky, etc...) And I think that it's scheduled for him this year anyway. But, I'll have to see about the other one. Thanks for the suggestions!

Also curious if there was an "official" suggestion for those who had used Pedro's Journal in the Bigger extensions that might go along with the suggested activities.
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)