Question about the logistics of dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
pjdobro

Question about the logistics of dictation

Post by pjdobro » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:33 pm

We'll be starting the dictation in Bigger week after next and I've been studying my manual trying to get a feel for what we'll be doing. Dictation will be a new skill for us. I did a search for old posts about dictation but didn't find an answer to my questions. I'm sorry if this has been discussed a bunch before and I just couldn't find it. :cry:

First, I'm wondering what happens when a child has a mistake in his dictation? I know the TM said to circle the mistake in the key and have the student correct it in his book. What I'm wondering is how does he do the dictation in his book the next time? Does he start on a new page so he can't see the previous dictation or do you cover up the previous one? I figure if he can see his corrected version, then it would be more like copywork instead of dictation. Also, should each student have their own key to study so that when they mark a mistake it will only be on their key?

Second, I have two students and I might be mistaken, but I have a feeling that one will have no problems with dictation while the other might struggle. How do I handle this? Do I go ahead and move one student ahead in dictation and hold the other one back until he gets it right or do I wait until he gets it right before both move ahead? The first way I would be doing two different dictation passages each time. The second way though I might be holding one student back. I might be creating worries before I even get there, but I was just trying to think through things before starting and this scenario seemed likely to me.

Thanks for the help in advance. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

lmercon

Re: Question about the logistics of dictation

Post by lmercon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:09 pm

I had my ds use a composition book. If the dictation was correct, we would simply continue the new dictation on that page. If he had made an error, we would start on a new page to avoid him seeing his "old" dictation.

As far as your other concern, dictation works best when it is done the way the guide describes it. That is, not moving on to the new dictation until the old is mastered. Dictation passages get harder and it is assumed that the child has been successful with easier passages. Honestly, it only takes a few minutes a day. Because of the benefit to each child, I would do dictation separately if they get "off track" from one another. I'd do it in another spot away from the other child while that child is doing something independently. Quickly pull each one aside for a brief dictation practice and then back to group time.

hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm

This is our first year really using dictation. So, I can't answer your "logistics" questions regarding being able to see the corrected dictation. I will say that whenever we have combined in school (usually just history and science), we have always used math and language arts at each student's own level. Since dictation is "language arts" I would do it with each student individually and let them work at their own pace so that they can get the maximum benefit from this type of work.

I look at it as math and language arts being the "skill" subjects that each student needs to keep moving forward and building on at their individual level. Science and history are the "content" areas. Although at different ages there is a different "depth" to the learning, students of varying levels can study the same topic. That said, because of the different skills that I am working on with my students this year, this die-hard combining homeschool teacher has separated my students for the content subjects as well this year. Everyone has their own work to do.

ETA: Laura posted while I was typing up my long-winded post. :) I agree with her. :D
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Dictation has been around for a very, very long time, but it is still new to most of us because it is different from the way we learned in ps. It is an excellent method that is tried and true though! I just want to encourage you that I used to be unsure of dictation too, but have been oh-so-happy with the results. Here are some posts you may enjoy reading as you read up on dictation:
Carrie explains CM Dictation:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5661
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5186
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=925

Encouraging Dictation:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4877
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5558

In regard to your specific questions, we found it's a good idea to do dictation on a new clean page each day, or it becomes more like copywork. :wink: Dc are not supposed to be able to look at a model for help while they are writing their dictation. We just used a composition book. Each day we turned the page and used the front side of the page only. Then, when we got to the end of the composition book. We started back over on the back sides of the pages. The words were different enough at that point that it seemed o.k. that they could see some past entries. :wink: I would do the dictation times separately with your dc. I'd guess they'll quickly be on different passages anyway, and planning for this would just be better. As the pp's shared, dictation takes only a few moments, and it's very important to let them go at their own different paces. HTH! :D Just carefully read the directions in the Appendix before the dictation passages and follow them to a "t" (i.e. don't give in to helping dc while they are writing - though it's so tempting to say "you missed a period" or "look at that word again", etc. :lol: - and don't expect more than the directions suggest, like memorization of the passage, etc.), and you'll be on your way to seeing what a difference dictation can make in spelling over time. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Thank you all. That helps a lot to hear how you actually use your composition books for dictation. Thanks for the links Julie. I'm actually looking forward to dictation. I think it is a great idea and I love how it reinforces not only correct spelling but also grammar. I tend to be one that visualizes a word in my mind before writing it so I think that is a great way to do it! :wink:

Thanks for the insight and encouragement on working with two students. Hopefully it won't be a huge issue, but if they are at different places, I'll just do dictation separately with each of them. I think it will be a good idea for them each to have their own "key" to study. I'll make copies so they can each have their own. That will make it easier for them to study the passages and circle their problems. I'm getting excited to get started! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1