R&S English for high school

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inhisgrip

R&S English for high school

Post by inhisgrip » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:36 am

My son will be in 9th grade this year and his Grammar background is scattered. He has done some of R&S 5 but not a whole lot and did struggle through it.

Would it be ridiculous to use R&S 5 for English 1 in high school?

Thanks
Christine Salinas
Helpmeet to Pete for 14 years, Homeschooling our 5 blessings with one on the way in December!

beverett

Re: R&S English for high school

Post by beverett » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:21 pm

I actually have not used Rod and Staff (we have been with Abeka), but will be using it this year with all of my dc. My oldest son is starting 9th also... So i may be wrong ,but i dont see why you couln't do the level 5 this year. The reason I say that is this- after researching how to do ctc for highschool i learned that Carrie suggests to finish Rod and Staff level 8 by the end of 12th grade, and so we will be doing level 7 over 9th and 10th grade, then level 8 for 11th and 12th. That makes me think you could do level 5 for 9th, level 6 for 10th andso on to finish level 8 for 12th grade! wheeew, anyway, I am sure someone that knows more will soon chime in and help. Hope it goes well!! :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:37 pm

I like the pp's plan! :D I want to encourage you that by doing a good portion of it orally, you can clip along with it. We are in R & S English 4, and it takes us around 20 minutes. We do about 2/3 of it orally and about 1/3 written, this way...

R & S English (describes doing portions of each section orally/on markerboard then writing the rest:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4659&p=34269#p34269

HTH!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Christine,

If your son has had a scattered background in grammar, then Rod and Staff 5 would be the logical place to begin. :D It is a foundational year in Rod and Staff and covers the basics of grammar and writing. When coupled with literature study, and a writing program, Rod and Staff 5 can be the grammar part of your English 1 credit. Lit., comp., and grammar work together to form one English credit each year of high school. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

inhisgrip

Post by inhisgrip » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:56 pm

[quote="Carrie" Lit., comp., and grammar work together to form one English credit each year of high school. :D

Blessings,
Carrie[/quote]

Thank you Carrie and everyone who responded.

He is also doing Notgrass World History this year. If done as intended, Notgrass will give him 1 credit each in Bible, History, and English. He will be writing a total of 30 papers for history as well as a ton of review questions. He'll read 13 pretty difficult books along with that. I was thinking for all that work combined with R&S English 5, he should get 1.5 credits. Would that be pushing it? We live in Texas where there don't seem to be many rules! Ha. Good and bad thing for someone like me.

Thanks again!
Christine Salinas
Helpmeet to Pete for 14 years, Homeschooling our 5 blessings with one on the way in December!

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:57 pm

inhisgrip wrote:
Thank you Carrie and everyone who responded.

He is also doing Notgrass World History this year. If done as intended, Notgrass will give him 1 credit each in Bible, History, and English. He will be writing a total of 30 papers for history as well as a ton of review questions. He'll read 13 pretty difficult books along with that. I was thinking for all that work combined with R&S English 5, he should get 1.5 credits. Would that be pushing it? We live in Texas where there don't seem to be many rules! Ha. Good and bad thing for someone like me.

Thanks again!

If you have some ideas of where he will be applying to college (if that is the route you are planning), I would take time to look at their requirements and what they consider a credit to be. My DD is only in seventh grade, but looking at the requirements and/or homeschooled graduates pages on college admissions websites has been helpful to us in looking forward to college, especially with "loose" rules in Illinois as far as "requirements," which I believe are pretty similar to those in Texas.

My DH works at Wheaton College and we live in a nearby town. So, I have looked at their site. I attended Cedarville. So, I looked at their site. I looked at Liberty University. I looked at Taylor. I looked at the local community college. I looked at the state schools here in IL and what their requirements are. I also looked online at the local public school requirements. This gave me a good idea of how to be thinking. Since I have a couple of years yet, nothing is set in stone. But it has helped. Perhaps this would help you. I have also talked with local friends who have students who have graduated from homeschool high school and have completed their college degrees in various ways.
Last edited by MommyMc on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:01 pm

I would just give one. A lot of people supplement the Notgrass English section. However, you are the teacher.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

inhisgrip

Post by inhisgrip » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Thank you Anita - great ideas!

We are going the college route - College Plus actually. He wants to be a History Professor. We just talked about Liberty today, actually. We are trying to encourage him to teach at a Christian college or a private school to preserve that he is able to talk about God's hand in history, but we are continuing to seek the Lord in that area. He's 14 and is tending towards his own glory instead of the Lord's. We are trying to gently and diligently guide him.

Thanks to 8arrows - you are right - they need 4 credits of English. Why be different? His degree will be in History. I'd rather be safe than send up red flags. Thank you!
Christine Salinas

MommyMc

Post by MommyMc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:23 pm

We have friends whose children took several classes from Liberty online during their high school careers-- not the ones aimed at homeschoolers, but full college credit, online classes. The oldest then got his degree from Liberty online in two years, in accounting. He had his CPA by the time he was 21. He is now 22, almost 23, and has been working at an accounting firm for over a year. He is currently traveling for more training that his company is paying for, even in this time of economic trouble. The next two sons (they have five sons) have chosen different paths, but their high school looked similar just tweaked for their interests. The second graduated at 20 with a music degree and is currently running the landscaping business that he and the oldest started as teens. He also has a minor in accounting and is working on his CPA. He also is applying for music grad schools. The third is in his first year at West Point. There are SO MANY ways to do things and if you are seeking the Lord, he will show you the path for each child. :)
Anita
Wife to a hard-working hubby
Mom to five great kiddos (4/98, 2/00, 3/05, 11/06 and 3/09)