O.T. Singing hymns w/ eye convergence problems

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

O.T. Singing hymns w/ eye convergence problems

Post by psreit » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:22 pm

My dd(7) was born with eye problems. She has prisms, but I think there are still convergence issues. When reading, sometimes I will cover the lines underneath so she isn't distracted by too many words on a page. When our others were young, one of the first things we did when they were learning to read was point to words in the hymnal at church so they could follow along. Every time I try that with dd, she will follow a few words and then give up. I think, for one thing, the print is too small, given her eye problems, and also, the way hymns are written out may be confusing when trying to follow along. The lines are so close together. I was thinking about what I could do with the music so that dd could better follow along. She loves to sing, but only does it by memory. There is a young man in our church that has vision problems and the hymns are enlarged for him. Since dd doesn't read music anyway, I thought maybe I could have the hymns typed with the verses separate like a poem and with larger print, at least for now. When she is a little older and learning to read music, then I could just use the enlarged hymns. Or does someone have another idea? I just think it is time to give dd something that she can use to participate in the song service. Sometimes I see her trying to sing songs that she doesn't know, just trying to listen to what others are singing. Any ideas?
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)