DITHOR question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1inheaven

DITHOR question

Post by 1inheaven » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Started PHFHG last week but not DITHOR. Planning to add it this Monday. Few questions are:

1. What if my child wants to read more than the allotted amount of pages? Is that OK or should we stick with the breakdown?
2. I want to have her read Little PIlgrim's Progress but we are new so haven't done the 1st section of it. I guess it's OK for me to do the 1st half of the book in the 4/5 reading program?
3. My daughter tends to like to break the book down by chapters rather than pages. Is that OK or is there another purpose for doing the page breakdown in finishing the book?

I'm confident I will have more questions but these are good for starters :D Thanks for your feedback. btw, we LOVED, LOVED, LOVED our first week in PHFHG. We even had a small celebration of sorts to commemorate our first VERY successful week of homeschooling :lol:
Sarah in TX, starting year 5 homeschooling and loving it :-)
DD, 13 - MTMM, No-Nonsense Algebra, R&S 6, DITHOR, Monday co-op
DD, 7 - BLHFHG, Monday co-op

DHT1999

Re: DITHOR question

Post by DHT1999 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:41 pm

1inheaven wrote:Started PHFHG last week but not DITHOR. Planning to add it this Monday. Few questions are:

1. What if my child wants to read more than the allotted amount of pages? Is that OK or should we stick with the breakdown?

I let me son read ahead if he wants to, but not too far. I just make that decision as we go along. It's really up to you.

2. I want to have her read Little PIlgrim's Progress but we are new so haven't done the 1st section of it. I guess it's OK for me to do the 1st half of the book in the 4/5 reading program?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand your question. I am going to have my son read that book this year (6th grade). I will have him start at the beginning with the book. He'll be using the workbook for level 4/5. The books that you assign your child do not have to match HOD"s recommendations exactly. The books that my son read last year were technically at a higher level than the DITHOR workbook that he was using. It worked out fine. Is that what you mean?

3. My daughter tends to like to break the book down by chapters rather than pages. Is that OK or is there another purpose for doing the page breakdown in finishing the book?

For us, it just depends on the book. I divided some of his books up by page #s and some by chapters... just depending on the length of the chapters and whether or not it was a book that he really wanted to read ahead in. I believe the purpose of the page breakdowns are just to give you a plan to work, one that will have your child progressing. But, it's o.k. to change it up. You may start out doing it one way and then decide that another way works better. It's o.k. to be flexible and do what works best for your overall schedule. For some books, I didn't even schedule a particular # of pages or chapters. I mean, I didn't necessarily decide all that ahead of time. I guess you could say that I learned to "wing it" and do what seemed right as we went along. :D . It all worked out just fine.

I'm confident I will have more questions but these are good for starters :D Thanks for your feedback. btw, we LOVED, LOVED, LOVED our first week in PHFHG. We even had a small celebration of sorts to commemorate our first VERY successful week of homeschooling :lol:
That's great! This was our first year using HOD. One of my sons used Preparing and Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. We loved it, too!
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:48 pm

1inheaven wrote:2. I want to have her read Little PIlgrim's Progress but we are new so haven't done the 1st section of it. I guess it's OK for me to do the 1st half of the book in the 4/5 reading program?

OK, I think I understand now what you are asking. Sorry! I think you are referring to the Boy/Girl book lists. Yes, you can have her read Part 1 if you want to do so. Carrie recommends the first half for boys, as they will likely find that content to be most interesting. And, the second half is likely to be interesting to girls, thus she recommends the second half for them. But, you can certainly assign the first half if you want to do so.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

1inheaven

Post by 1inheaven » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks! These are all the answers I expected, just wanted to double check. I'm reading Pilgrim's Progress now and really enjoying it :P
Sarah in TX, starting year 5 homeschooling and loving it :-)
DD, 13 - MTMM, No-Nonsense Algebra, R&S 6, DITHOR, Monday co-op
DD, 7 - BLHFHG, Monday co-op