Preparing for 7th grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedmomof4

Preparing for 7th grader?

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:31 am

Hi ladies. I decided to pull my 7th grader from public school for several reasons, though she wasn't on board, but I believe it is best. Her school has failed to make adequate yearly progress for five years running. She was placed in an "accelerated" English class based on a test result and straight A's in regular English 6, then began failing the accelerated course. When I asked them to place her back in English 6 because she had expressed that the work load was too heavy, they spoke to me as though I knew nothing and refused. My daughter passed with a D, but I am not pleased. Finally, she was touched innappropriately by a boy at school. She said she hit him upside the head, but that no teacher or staff saw anything, and she didn't tell anyone. This is not the environment I want my daughter in, and I told her so. Her big concern is losing friends, missing school dances, etc. She is angry with me at the moment... I am halfway through the process of enrolling her in an online program so she could be in an online community of classmates, but she told me she does NOT like to work on the computer...
So, I have Preparing here, as her younger sister is 13 weeks short of finishing it. I have caught my 7th grader surreptitously listening to our read-alouds and taking some of the independent study books off the shelf and to her room to read...
I want to talk it over with her, but if I go with this plan, could I:
have her work independently, instead of me reading aloud, and then check in with me at the appropriate spots for discussion or showing her written work?
add the extension package to use instead of the regular independent study books?
add a writing course like Igniting Your Writing II to the DITHOR 6/7/8 (I have the DITHOR book)? She writes a lot on her own for fun, and was in a writing club at school.
I believe she would do well in Rod and Staff English 5, and for math I would use Making Math Meaningful wherever she places, as it is a program that worked well for her when she was younger. I found out she is a little colorblind, which is why she had trouble with the red/pink colored pages of Singapore 3 a few years ago! The color scheme actually was the cause of her not noticing several words and problems on a page, and caused much confusion, which I didn't realize at the time. She does better if books are full color, or no color and uncluttered, like MMM is.
I appreciate any input, on all the above matters. :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Sue G in PA

Re: Preparing for 7th grader?

Post by Sue G in PA » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 pm

I'm so sorry, first of all, that all this happened to your dd in ps. Unfortunately, it is all too common. My dd was in 8th gr. at a ps last year after 4 years of homeschooling and was apalled at all the "junk" that went on. So much so that she wanted to come home for high school. :D I will have a 7th grader in Preparing this year. He also went back to ps last year after 4 years at home and LOVED it...I did NOT. He's back home, against his will. I can empathize with you. It's so hard. Stick to your guns...you know what is best. As for Preparing...here is what we are doing to "beef" it up:
Ds12 will read ALL extentions as well as some extra History-related books (Famous Men of...series for example). We added a separate science (Rainbow Science) b/c that is his favorite subject and he loves hands-on stuff. He will use R&S 6, Saxon Math 8/7 and also Igniting Your Writing...although I might use a different writing program. Not sure. My plan is for him to use Preparing mostly independently. I made him a Weekly Schedule and copied the pages of the Manual for him (not all at once...just a unit at a time as needed!). I do, however, want him to do Bible and storytime with me and his 2 younger siblings. I need to interact with him and re-connect, kwim? I'm so excited to start Preparing with my kids. If you search the board, you might find other threads dealing with Preparing done independently and with older children. Good luck to you!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Sue, I appreciate your words of encouragement. It is comforting to know that I'm not the only one with a "reluctant" homeschooler. I know the real issue is a heart issue. My son, who is now in college and attended public school for all of high school, admitted to me that he did not love public school. My youngest feels better back at home because now she is having success with math, and she is enjoying the history readings and Bible memory very much. My oldest girl made the decision to do online school after weighing the pros and cons of being at home vs. being at school and how it affects her dance instruction schedule (she is a scholarship student in a professional ballet program). The middle girl has had undesireable attitude changes since being at public school and I also feel we need to "reconnect". She admitted she doesn't dislike homeschooling but said she dowsn't want to be at home. We need to get to know one another again.
As far as the schooling, I am going to use Preparing with extensions and additions as I planned. I asked for her feedback, but she refused to give any, so she's gone from anger to apathy :( I know it will be better, because of the wonderful Bible and character training woven throughout. She will come to see that her school days (and weeks) are shorter and more interesting, and that Mom is choosing a good thing. She will have free time to pursue her own interests, something she has done with gusto this summer break. Perhaps I can find a way to reward her cooperation with an extra-curricular activity of her choosing...
If I had the money I would buy RTR, as that is really the perfect placement for her, but I have to do what I can for now. Besides, a somewhat lighter year may be better with baby on the way :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:31 am

Lourdes - I am so glad you are homeschooling your dd. I think this will be a hard year, but it is a pivotal time to do this - well worth the angst it may cause at present. That age seems to be a time we can "lose" our dc pretty easily. I just want to encourage you in this noble task you are taking on. Sharing your faith with her as much as you can on a personal level, praying with her when things are going rough, showering her with love, and leading her with calm discipline when stress is high are about the best things I can think to do. Some dc respond well to notes too, if it's too hard to discuss things sometimes. I know a mom that left a note under her dd's pillow whenever she needed to share something that she wanted her dd to think upon and have time to respond to later. As far as curriculum goes, this is a transitional year, so much of the year will be spend acclimating dd to homeschooling in general. Your plan sounds fine if you are content with it. :) As far as beefing up PHFHG for a seventh grader, you could use similar ideas to the ones Carrie shared in this post:
Carrie explains how to beef up Bigger Hearts for seventh grader:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=640

Another thought I had - since she places well in RTR, if you have LA and math taken care of already, you really could just start with the RTR economy package, rather than ordering the PHFHG extension and Igniting Your Writing (I think there is enough writing in RTR already for her first year, plus there is writing in R & S English as well). Or for that matter, you could start her in CTC and spend closer to the same amount as you would have buying PHFHG's extensions/Igniting Your Writing. Here's a past post about that in case it may help:
Ordering for CTC on a tight budget:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6850&p=50186#p50186

I think heart issues are going to be the focus more this year than academics, and you are one wise mama to take the plunge and meet that head on. I will pray for you, Lourdes - I have the utmost respect for you, having known you awhile now. :) I am also praying for your pregnancy. May the Lord be your strong tower and shoulder to lean upon - He does equip us to do what He's purposed us to do. You are in His will bringing dd home from ps and schooling her to know Him well - there is no question in that - so I am confident He'll lead you to do that, even if all of the paths to that end seem hazy now. Hope something here helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:08 am

Julie,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful words regarding my daughter. I know in my heart I'm doing the right thing.
As far as what I can order, I just put in an order for the first few items of the Preparing extensions , along with Igniting your Writing II. I got the grammar and math second hand for very little money, so that was a blessing, and I bought DITHOR 6/7/8 a long time ago, so that's covered. Right now, I really couldn't even get just the economy package for RTR-besides, I am so "all-or-nothing" I would be wistfully wishing every day that we had everything to go along with it :) Besides, my daughter would really miss having the science package, as that is her favorite subject. I know she would love the Our Weather and Water option. I would not want to use CTC because she has a sister right behind her and I would rather do the same guide with them or skip one between rather than using guides back-to-back in consecutive years.
I think Preparing with extensions will work for now, since I already have everything that goes with it, and will purchase extensions as needed. Some of them are even available within my local library system, so that helps even more.
I want to thank you for your prayers, but wanted to let you know my pregnancy has ended. Our dear son Raymond was born on August 18 at 12:40 AM at the age of 17 weeks. I had posted a prayer request update in a separate thread because I couldn't find the first one I had started. My husband has taken some days off from work to be with me. I feel very well physically, but of course I have a lot of sadness. I am comforted in the knowledge that our baby is safe in our Father's arms, and that we have the love and support of family and friends.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:09 pm

My prayers are with you and your dh, Lourdes. My heart aches for you. I know you to be a woman of great faith, and I know the Lord will see you through this. Heaven is something I begin to long for more and more as I grow older, for all the loved ones I will see there, for the perfect health all have in heaven, and for there to be only life and love and worship day after day. The Lord has more work for us to do here first though. We will someday rejoice together in heaven, each seeing a baby we've loved and lost. I know many others on this board will join us in that happy reunion with loved ones they've lost too. Praying for the Lord to surround you with His love and strength.

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

blessedmomof4

Re: Preparing for 7th grader? New Plans

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 am

Sigh. Back to square one. My 12 year old, after refusing to choose whether to join her big sister in the online school or her younger sister in HOD, finally came to me yesterday and said, "Mom, can I do the online school?" She took the placement test without quarrel and said, "Well I wanted to have at least one choice in the matter." :( I had waited quite a while for her to choose but as I said before she had acted apathetically...I am thinking she may have spent some time with her older sister looking over the school website, materials, etc.
I hope that her work ethic will be good since she is doing something she chose.
Another positive is that I will probably be able to save up for CTC with no extensions for my youngest daughter by the time she finishes Preparing, since I can return/resell things I had bought for the 12 year old, and perhaps resell Bigger, and Preparing when we're done with it, though I have a hard time letting go! I love all the books! :D . Plus, the online school is free.
The youngest is attached to me and though she was a little iffy about coming back home at first, she is really flourishing with HOD and has no desire to change :D
I am happy to have them all at home again, and at least one child using HOD. I was thinking of buying the Girl option from RTR as a gift for the older girls, so they can have a good Bible-based study in their day as well. Maybe even 3 copies of the Beautiful Girlhood guide if I can manage it, so the older girls and I each have our own.
Thanks for all the suggestions and support :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 am

Lourdes,

Thanks for the update! I know the Lord knows what is best for your daughter right now and perhaps its best not to rock the boat as your younger daughter is successfully enjoying her HOD year in Preparing. The teen years are tough ones and you have much adjustment going on right now in your household. The idea of the Beautiful Girlhood study is a great one. I know I learned much from it too! :D

I'll be thinking of you this year as you journey! :D

Blessings,
Carrie