PHFHG for 3rd grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof2n2

PHFHG for 3rd grader

Post by momof2n2 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Can anyone pipe in on how their 3rd grader did with the Independent History Study?
I considered not having him do it, just having my 5th grade son do it.
How about research? I could have them work together, but I don't want my 3rd grader to just let my 5th grader do it for him. :P

I will have the right side be skill-appropriate for LA and math. We won't do science as they will do that at our HS co-op.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

brenm37

Re: PHFHG for 3rd grader

Post by brenm37 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:06 pm

My 3rd grader got overwhelmed a few times with the readings in Independent History and Science. On those occasions, my 5th grader would read the material aloud. We always did the research together, having them take turns on who got to look it up on the computer and who got to use a reference book. I was always present when using the internet, we used wikipedia. :D
Brenda

my3sons

Re: PHFHG for 3rd grader

Post by my3sons » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:31 am

We did PHFHG for third grade for my oldest ds, and he loved the Independent History box. He did it all and enjoyed it immensely. However, you will know what will fit your ds best! Maybe start with it and see how it goes, you can always lessen it if need be, but it's much harder to require more later rather than less. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie