A sneak peek at the projects in RTR...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Samuel'sMommy

Re: A sneak peek at the projects in RTR...

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for giving us a sneak peek! Everything sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to do them all with my son in about 5 years! :D
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am

Ladies! You flooded my soul with joy today! Thank you so much for sharing in the excitement with me! :D As the guide is in its final huge writing push, we're thrilled with the balance and the way the Lord works out all of our concerns. :D He is so faithful as we write, and I am blessed by each of your prayers and your encouragement daily! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momx3

Post by momx3 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 am

Carrie,
Thank you for sharing projects in the upcoming RTR. They sound wonderful! I plan on doing the RTR with my ds who will be in the 10th grade. Will these projects be too "young" for him? As far as I'm concerned, I'm ready to start today! :D I will be using Bigger and Beyond with my 2 dds (2nd/6th grade) and they are very project-oriented. I'm sure they will have great projects as well, but should I require him to do them? He's really just wants to "get school done" so he can hunt and fish :wink: but I want him to enjoy school, too.

One more question:
What would you use for an English II program?

Thanks!
Kelley
Married to my wonderful dh Travis 19yrs.
Mom to 3 dc:
Benjamin-16-10th;eclectic
Emma-11-6th;BHFHG
Millie-7-2nd;BLHFHG

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Carrie and Julie--praying for you and your families at this busy time!! :)

And, the projects look wonderful, Carrie!! I haven't been this excited for a new school year in a long time, as we get ready to start CTC in a few weeks. And, knowing that we also have RTR ahead for next year is even more encouraging!!!

Momx3, I'm glad you posted, because we're starting CTC this year with our 8th grade dd, and are planning RTR for 9th. It's nice to "meet" other moms doing HOD with older students. Our dd sounds a lot like your son, in that she would just like to "get school over with", and I'm really hoping and praying that HOD will bring back her love of learning. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:25 pm

momx3,

I guess my feeling overall is that the projects really make the historical time period come to life and add so much to the study, especially for hands-on kiddos like my boys, so I'd be inclined to expect the projects to be done even by an older student. I don't think there are too many that would feel young, but you may feel differently. It will also be important to weigh how many other time-consuming things your older student will have on his plate academic-wise and plan his day accordingly. :D I honestly think you'll be able to tell better when you get the guide in hand, but I'd likely begin by requiring the projects, and then re-evaluate after about 6 weeks. :D

As far as English for high school goes, with our own high schooler we are planning to spread Rod and Staff English 7 and English 8 out over 4 years (doing half a level each year) for high school grammar/usage/mechanics/expression etc. We'll add literature and composition to that to round out the English credit. Depending on whether or not you've used Rod and Staff previously, this may or may not work for you. :D

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Heather,

I'm so glad that you are excited for your upcoming year! :D It is so important for the momma to be encouraged, or it's hard for us to be encouragers to our kiddos. :wink: That is why we love to have this board be full of encouraging words, as we find from our own experience what we dwell upon here we pour forth into our own household! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momx3

Post by momx3 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:09 am

Carrie,
Thank you so much for getting back to me, I know you are crazy busy! :wink: Could I ask you one more question? What Lit and Comp program? Does the book list count for Lit? Will there be a list for HS students using RtR? Ok. Sorry....that was 3 questions! :?

Thank you for your response and for writing such a wonderful program!
Kelley
Kelley
Married to my wonderful dh Travis 19yrs.
Mom to 3 dc:
Benjamin-16-10th;eclectic
Emma-11-6th;BHFHG
Millie-7-2nd;BLHFHG

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Our family is lifting the Austins up in prayer each week as you do the Lord's work. Thanks for being so good to us and Faithful to Him. You guys epitomize servanthood. We love you!

:D
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Shannon,

Thank you so much for your prayers for our family. We appreciate it right now more than you can know! :D We are humbled that others choose to pray for us, and we are blessed so much by your prayers. :D Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Carrie

Brie

Post by Brie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Hello,

I have a question about Race to Rome game. I have Celiac therefore can't use regular bread. We don't purchase gf bread as it's $6-8 / loaf, plus the crust is much tougher than a regular bread. Can someone tell me if this can be substituted for another staple? I'd love to play this game w/ her!

Blessings to you & yours,
Brie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Race to Rome was one of our favorite games to play in RTR! :D The bread is only used on the first day to make the game pieces. You can just substitute in any game pieces, 15 of one kind (i.e. marshmallows), and 15 of another kind (i.e. chocolate chips). Or, if you don't want to use food for game pieces, you can substitute in small plastic toys (i.e. legos, castillos, etc.). Enjoy! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie