Bible as the center of our school

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3musketeers

Bible as the center of our school

Post by 3musketeers » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Ladies,

I hope you are all having a fun summer ,finding some time to rest, and some time to enjoy your families without the usual school year activities.

I just wanted to mention that I received a (shall we say nameless) catalog from another popular curriculum today. The catalog was presenting the new Bible curriculum that had just been added. It was a "great companion" to the other series of books this author recommends. It touts it as the "Religion Curriculum". I hate to quote the catalog, but :wink:

"Millions of parents want to familiarize their children with the Bible, but feel inadequate to navigate its difficulties and don't know what to do with it's obscurities." :shock:

I have to say that I am not surprised by this particular homeschool source. Although it is very popular in the homeschool community. Please don't get me wrong that I am not trying to bash their products. I have used some in the past.

But here is my point:
I read through that catalog and thought how sad that the Bible is not the center of everything they do. Then I felt extreme joy that Carrie, so gets it! How the Bible is key to all. I love that it is the very core of all we do. Whether the History Box, Poetry, Science, etc. It is always the life blood of Heart of Dakota. What peace and comfort that gives to me. Our Lord is glorified in that. My children are receiving filling meat.

Just a thought,
Cindy
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Candice

Re: Bible as the center of our school

Post by Candice » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Cindy,

I so appreciate your post.
I received the same catalog today in my mailbox.
While I don't know much about the product itself, I do know that I am totally thankful for HOD and how it presents education focused in a God-centered way.
I love knowing that above all, my children will learn to see God's hand in all areas and learn to apply His word in all that they do.
I feel blessed to have such an academically strong, and biblically focused education available for our family, compliments of HOD.

Candice :D

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:27 pm

That is the very first point I make in all of my reviews of HOD's resources. God and His Sovereignty are the center of EVERY SINGLE SUBJECT...as it should be! Carrie has done a masterful job of this. It is not a standard curriculum with a little "god" thrown in.

Also...you know when dealing with the Austins that the live what they write about.

May God bless their ventures...and may they KEEP WRITING! :D
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:43 pm

I totally agree. I am so thankful I found HOD here at the beginning of our Homeschool journey because it seems so right and I too love the Christ/Bible focus.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:51 pm

This is exactly why I have chosen HOD for my dd. No matter how much she 'gets' academically, I have the assurance in knowing that she will get the solid Bible and character training that is most important. Being adopted and having some special emotional needs, I feel those areas will benefit her the most in her schooling. Not too long ago in another thread, Julie mentioned that the Austins will not take the Bible out of HOD at the request of some. Although they could make a lot of money by doing that, they are committed to doing this work for the Lord and won't change it to get rich. Taking the Bible out of HOD would certainly take away the 'heart' of the curriculum and definitely wouldn't reap God's blessing. What a wonderful gift Carrie has given us all. God knows how many lives have been and will be changed because her gift of writing is being used for His glory :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:03 am

Yup! That is what kept tugging me back to HOD as I was considering it and another popular program. I'm so glad I made the right choice! I feel so satisfied with the type of education my dc are getting.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:31 am

I just wanted to add a huge AMEN to all of the previous posts! :D

In this day and age, we need to be especially careful to guard our children from worldly philosophies. At every turn in our daily lives, be it in the grocery store check out line, driving through town, or the local Wal-Mart, we are bombarded with many ungodly things. Things that are beyond our control. With HOD we know that we are getting a rich and wholesome curriculum that is saturated with Gods Word. This curriculum is doing exactly what the Bible calls us to do. We must teach our children the truths of God's Word at each and every part of their day. No matter where we are, or what we are doing. God's Word is REAL and ALIVE and our children are sure to know that with HOD.

I'm sure I can speak for many, when I say that it is my daily prayer that God lays it on the Austin's hearts to continue on in the work of the Lord, and that they keep on writing!! :D God has given Carrie such a talent to use for His glory, and has become an immense blessing to us all. I just can't say enough about HOD and this board. May it truly keep on glorifying our wonderful Saviour!!! :D

In Christ,

Lisa

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:31 pm

In this day and age, we need to be especially careful to guard our children from worldly philosophies. At every turn in our daily lives, be it in the grocery store check out line, driving through town, or the local Wal-Mart, we are bombarded with many ungodly things. Things that are beyond our control. With HOD we know that we are getting a rich and wholesome curriculum that is saturated with Gods Word.
I agree!

I had the opportunity to attend Zan Tyler and Ken Ham's lectures at our homeschool convention this year. One of the major topics that impacted me was that God's word has to be the most important thing. Deuteronomy 6:7 tells us to, " teach them (the Words that God commands) to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." 2 Timothy 3:16,17 reminds us that, " All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

I think even today's church goers are getting away from true dependence on God's word and commands. They seem to be opting for other current books for life help. The Bible is sitting on the shelf. How can we steer the "ship" right if we have no "true north". When we are not in touch with God, how can we truly be His?...live as if we belong to Christ? Colossians 2:8 says, "See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ." How do we know the difference between the "world's way" and "God's way" unless we truly know God's Word. I know that for me, I am easily distracted.

One of the reasons I so love Heart of Dakota and Charlotte Mason is that they base their work on the truth that all knowledge and wisdom belong to our Lord. I am recommitting myself this year to reading and cherishing the Word. I need it. I am also so grateful for HOD curriculum, Carrie's precious gift that she has offered to homeschoolers. With HOD we are fulfilling the above commands by teaching them to our children. And all I have to do is open the guide. Wow!!!
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 pm

3musketeers,

This thread is an amazing blessing to me on the very day that I needed to read it. Thank you so much for each of you who shared from your heart as it encouraged my weary heart today. :D

The time period that we are writing within for RTR is such a tough one and the readings are getting ever longer, making the job of overseeing each detail and key idea a massive one. :D Yet, I am uplifted by the knowledge that focus on God's word as the center of our children's education is most important goal. So, we persevere! :D

Thank you for speaking to my heart. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:47 am

I definitely agree! This is the time of year when all the homeschool catalogs come rolling in. I started looking at other programs and then at HOD and thinking that I was missing out on something because HOD was too easy. I actually talked to my DH about switching to another program and he told me to do whatever I thought was best. I sold my LHFHG books a couple of weeks ago. Then, DH and I took our youth to a camp for a week. The speaker there kept talking about how important it was to be grounded in your faith and constantly in the Bible so you didn't lose your passion at camp once you went home. Anyway, I know he was speaking to the youth, but throughout the sessions, God kept bringing HOD to my mind and telling me that HOD was the way to instill a love of God and His word into my son. When we got home from camp a couple of days ago, I told my husband I thought I had made a mistake in my decision to sell LHFHG. I thought he would be angry, but God must have been speaking to him to because he just looked at me and said, "When are you going to reorder it?" I placed my reorder a couple of days ago and am anxiously waiting my books. I can't wait to have them back! We are definitely staying with HOD from now on and I told my DH to remind me of this experience anytime I'm tempted to switch!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 am

Samuel'sMommy wrote:I definitely agree! This is the time of year when all the homeschool catalogs come rolling in. I started looking at other programs and then at HOD and thinking that I was missing out on something because HOD was too easy. I actually talked to my DH about switching to another program and he told me to do whatever I thought was best. I sold my LHFHG books a couple of weeks ago. Then, DH and I took our youth to a camp for a week. The speaker there kept talking about how important it was to be grounded in your faith and constantly in the Bible so you didn't lose your passion at camp once you went home. Anyway, I know he was speaking to the youth, but throughout the sessions, God kept bringing HOD to my mind and telling me that HOD was the way to instill a love of God and His word into my son. When we got home from camp a couple of days ago, I told my husband I thought I had made a mistake in my decision to sell LHFHG. I thought he would be angry, but God must have been speaking to him to because he just looked at me and said, "When are you going to reorder it?" I placed my reorder a couple of days ago and am anxiously waiting my books. I can't wait to have them back! We are definitely staying with HOD from now on and I told my DH to remind me of this experience anytime I'm tempted to switch!
I definitely agree! This is the time of year when all the homeschool catalogs come rolling in. I started looking at other programs and then at HOD and thinking that I was missing out on something because HOD was too easy. I actually talked to my DH about switching to another program and he told me to do whatever I thought was best. I sold my LHFHG books a couple of weeks ago. Then, DH and I took our youth to a camp for a week. The speaker there kept talking about how important it was to be grounded in your faith and constantly in the Bible so you didn't lose your passion at camp once you went home. Anyway, I know he was speaking to the youth, but throughout the sessions, God kept bringing HOD to my mind and telling me that HOD was the way to instill a love of God and His word into my son. When we got home from camp a couple of days ago, I told my husband I thought I had made a mistake in my decision to sell LHFHG. I thought he would be angry, but God must have been speaking to him to because he just looked at me and said, "When are you going to reorder it?" I placed my reorder a couple of days ago and am anxiously waiting my books. I can't wait to have them back! We are definitely staying with HOD from now on and I told my DH to remind me of this experience anytime I'm tempted to switch!

I'm glad you're back with HOD! Trust me, as you continue to use the programs, that sense of contentment and knowing that you are using the best for your child will only continue to to grow. Each program just seems to get better and better!
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:55 am

Samuel's Mommy,
Welcome back! I will be doing HOD with my adopted dd, and because she came from a situation of neglect, she has had many insecurities and emotional difficulties. There is no better way to school her than with the Bible as the foundation in all that we do. I have such peace knowing HOD will do just that. In exactly one month, our HOD journey truly begins. I can hardly wait!!! :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)