Seeking Answers re: Switching to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks, Candice, and all who are so very welcoming!

I really do enjoy hearing insights from all of you. We are all so different and it helps to hear different points of view.
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Would it be confusing to children to do a year of American History, a year of World Geography, and then switch back to another year of American History? Would that year of Geography that was kind of prepping them for world history be kind of forgotten before we start world history in Preparing? That would be our situation if I went with Bigger for next year rather than Preparing. I was just trying to look at it through their eyes. What do you think?
Tiffini
HOD Users since 2008

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:27 pm

I can totally understand your dilema with where to place them. I truly think this is the hardest step!...but a very important one. I'm sure you'll keep getting great advice. Sorry, none of it will be from me on this one.

But I wanted to pop in and say welcome and hi! :D

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:46 pm

HOD is more of a "Heart for the Lord" focused than Missions focused.
I Have a good book you can use to train your kids to pray for the world. Its called Window on the World. You can get the paperback version on Amazon (Its back in print Yippie!) tho the used ones might be hardcover.

also here is book created to inspire children in missions
Even donkeys speak.
http://www.gfa.org/store/item/?stock_code=NEVD

Ok so its a shameless plug... But It Is a really good book!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm sorry to keep this thread going and going, but I do have one more question. My oldest is not excited about doing another year of American History - actually none of them are at this point. They were excited about beginning World History next year - and so am I.

So, I could go ahead with MFW CtG program - year 1 in the history cycle - or I could go with HOD Preparing... I am drawn to certain aspects of HOD over MFW, although I really do like MFW a lot and don't want to say anything negative about it. I can't actually put my finger on it yet, but there is something more appealing in HOD. I feel both programs definitely have a desire to keep God at the center of all academics and to build a biblical worldview and an ability to think. Those are the most important aspects to me in educating our children.

If I were to go with Preparing with my 3rd graders (8 yos) and an almost 11 yo (5th grade), do you have any feedback for me on that scenario? I have checked the placement chart, and I feel they could all do well at this level and I would probably add in the extension for my older.

Has it been posted yet when the Preparing samples will be available? I am very anxious to see them. :) Also, when a new program comes out, is it completely ready to use? I know with MFW, they would put out a pilot program for a year and work out all the bugs and then make changes and publish the program for the general public?

Thanks for your patience and putting up with all of my questions! :)
Tiffini
HOD Users since 2008

shera

Post by shera » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:10 pm

HappyatHome I have no advice for you regarding Preparing and your questions about it but I would say if both you and your kids are ready for World History then go for it. Also, my dh gave me some good advice. He said it is just one yr if you are that curious try it whats the worst that could happen. To me this idea was very freeing. It has given me the chance to try HOD ( I had tried MFW K last yr) and see if it will work well for us. Either way your kids will learn.

HTH
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:49 pm

When the Hod products come out (manuals) they are fully ready to go. You just have to pick out all the readers, math, grammar, etc. according to which program and grade levels you are using/need. So far, I don't think there have been any pilot programs. :o

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:59 pm

inHistiming wrote:When the Hod products come out (manuals) they are fully ready to go. You just have to pick out all the readers, math, grammar, etc. according to which program and grade levels you are using/need. So far, I don't think there have been any pilot programs. :o
I agree-Carrie Austin has a great support system of people to help her make things work, so that when her books come out, they already had all the "bugs" worked out-they are 100% ready for you to enjoy! Bigger Hearts came out this past August, and it is a joy to use, as-is :D
Carrie has also "field tested" and fine-tuned by trying things out with her own children, so they are her "guinea pigs" and not us :P
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Tansy, we are using Window on the World currently and love it! Thanks for the other recommendation as well.

Shera, I appreciate your advice as well. That is a very good way to look at it.

I just can't wait to see the samples!!
Tiffini
HOD Users since 2008

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:06 pm

HappyatHome wrote:Do you feel like you are missing out on that family learning experience if you do separate programs? It seems hard to me to be doing American history with one and World history with another.

Also, another question - do you feel that HOD develops a heart for the world? One thing about MFW that I really like is the missions focus - learning and praying for other people groups, etc., Is that a part of HOD?
I am doing two separate programs for tow sets of kids so they are in groups but I will tell you that they cross over to each others read alouds. We pray together. We all do the hymns together and we tend to peak in on each others day. So if I decided to have on in preparing and one in bigger. I would more than likely bring the preparing child in for the Bible and the Hymns maybe even a fun science experiment or two. And if you start the day out in prayer that also builds the closeness. Especially since your oldest would be missing bigger I would have her peak in on the fun stuff here and there. You could easily include her in their Bible and have plenty of time for her to do her own Bible as well.

The focus is different. Now I say this having adopted 4 children from the former Soviet union. Please understand that. I love that MFW is mission minded and that is one thing I want my children to learn. And I have a a passion for the same group of people that MFW does missions. That part of the world now has my family because I have their family. In HOD you will see in Preparing Hero Tales is there and that certainly is mission minded. But for me even though like I said I have a heart for other countries and plan to do mission with my children later in life, I feel like I want the main focus to be on hearing, knowing and following God because without that missions is of no value. I also feel like a heart for mission will naturally follow as we know God well. Of course some mission teaching is very much in order just thinking at this age having such a huge focus may not be as effective as focusing on the relationship of knowing God and seeking His will for them

Let me give you an example of what we learned today in BHFHG. We were learning about humility and how Columbus and Cabot lacked it and in that missed part of God’s call. The glory was sought for self instead of God. Well then we read in Exploring Planet Earth where Marco Polo was requested by Kahn to send a hundred missionaries to China to talk about Christianity. Kahn requested 100 it took a long time and 2 wimpy ones were sent,couldn’t handle it and left. My kids on their own made the connection to the glory seeking aspect that we learned about Columbus and the missing of God’s call. They got that perhaps that request was the reason God gave Marco Polo talents and that his lack of humility prevented him form seeing that maybe God wanted him in China to spread the gospel and even took it farther that people would be free today perhaps to be Christians in China now and maybe we would not be dealing with terrorists since Kahn had the control of so many religions including those that follow Mohammad. They got that Polo's missed opportunity to evangelize in such a huge way had devastating consequences and they see that God is loving and wants all to hear the gospel but man can miss that when they seek to glorify self. That is what I want for my kids. Translate the Word to real life and see what it means to miss God’s call because you are not focused on His glory but instead trying to glorify yourself. 8)

Sorry so long but you ask great questions! :lol: And having said all that a Biblical focus is a personal thing and what you feel called to teach your children I think should be prime in picking what you use to teach them. I think MFW definitely has a unique focus and I am sure they also are following God in that, so I absolutely mean no disrespect to their focus. :wink: Little disclaimer there. :lol: Ok just adding that we also love Windows of the World too!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi, I just wanted to pop in and welcome you to the boards! We're glad you're here! :D

It does sound like "Preparing..." would be a good fit for your kiddos, if that is where they place on the placement chart. The Extension Pack is scheduled daily for your older child to follow independently. :wink:

In order to extend the language arts in Preparing..., it would depend on what your 5th grader has had before as to what would be the best fit in those areas. If you have not had a lot of grammar then, Rod and Staff 3 or 4 would be enough for your older child in that area. The writing lessons in Preparing... should cover what you'd need in writing along with the Rod and Staff English. Otherwise, if you have a born writer on your hands, you could always add "Igniting Your Writing" Vol. I from our website. Drawn into the Heart of Reading... would complete the literature study portion of your day. Dictation passages in the back of Preparing... could be used with older kiddos for spelling as well, if they haven't had much dictation. Otherwise, if you have an amazing speller, you could select your own dictation passages from her literature.

If you're happy with any of your current language arts, you could certainly keep that as is and only change your areas of discontent. :wink:

The ladies have been so helpful in answering the rest of your questions. I know they'll continue to answer anything else you may need. You'll be able to see samples of Preparing on the website by mid-April. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi! I've really found the placement chart to be right on track for placing my dc. If your children fit into Preparing, then I really do think you can be sure that that is where they belong. The extension pack will be enough to beef up for your older child. I believe that the samples will be up on the web by mid-April for Preparing. My ds is doing Bigger now, and will do Preparing next year, He will be 8 turning 9 doing Preparing .... just like your twins would be. I'm confident you and your dc would LOVE HOD! Give it shot - you won't regret it - you'll probably never even look back!!! So glad you are here and looking forward to getting to know you more!
:o
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:36 pm

Wow! I am just blown away by helpful everyone has been to me - whether just by introduction, a simple helpful word, or long posts with answers! Thank you!

God granted me an unexpected opportunity to talk to my husband for a little bit without interruption just a while ago. That was a very nice surprise! In talking to him, I was able to put voice to some of my thoughts in comparing MFW to HOD. My greatest desire is for the Word of God and love of God to permeate my children's lives. I want them to apply the truth to all of our world. That is so much the heart of what we want for them. Academics are important definitely, but what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, yet lose his soul?

Here are my thoughts from what I have read on this forum: MFW is very God-centered and God-honoring and very pure in their desire to keep Christ at the center. That is what I love about it. What I am seeing here is the same thing, but with a little bit extra. I am seeing more application throughout the lessons. I am seeing that HOD helps in applying truth to the history lessons we are reading, etc. I think MFW does that, but expects the parent to make all the application. I appreciate that, but I would like a little more guidance than that. I am seeing more living books with HOD that are tied in throughout the lessons. I have been missing that this year. It appears that there is more flexibility in the lesson plans as far as not scheduling things every day and making more time for art and music. That is a part of MFW, but it seems we rarely have time to get to it. I love all the books in Preparing concerning Ice Age, etc., and worldview. Am I on the right track? Since there is no samples to look at, I am guessing based on the prior programs and the book list for Preparing.

Water2Wine, thank you so much for putting the difference of focus into words so well. It really resonated with me. We have had a wonderful focus on missions this year and I think it would be okay to change focus a little for next year. Reading your post about BHFHG made me really not want to miss out on that, but I think we will probably go ahead with Preparing. A small part of me is still thinking about separating the two ages. My oldest daughter is somewhat frustrates at times with the slower understanding of the youngers. But, I feel like they are close enough in age that I really should take advantage of the option of learning together. And hopefully as they age, this gap in understanding between their ages will get smaller and smaller.

Thanks again everyone so much. My dh was very supportive in my trying this for next year. If I make a decision to go ahead with Preparing, I know I am goign to have lots of questions re: specifics.

Will it be August before Preparing is available to purchase?
Tiffini
HOD Users since 2008

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:48 pm

HappyatHome wrote:My greatest desire is for the Word of God and love of God to permeate my children's lives. I want them to apply the truth to all of our world. That is so much the heart of what we want for them. Academics are important definitely, but what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, yet lose his soul?
Agreeing with you. Our children are the first missions field. I have the same goals as you do. 8)

You won't miss out in using Preparing. I can promise you that site unseen. I could have told you equally wonderful applications my younger children have made with LHFHG and I have Beyond as well. The programs all have the punch. If you love one you are going to love them all. That also I think is what makes it different with HOD.

Glad you know where to land and hope you find peace in your decision. Carrie just said and I am personally, jumping up and down can't wait to see them excited, that Preparing will have samples up mid April! You can purchase the manual in August but books are available before as I understand it. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks for your help with the LA questions, Carrie. How wonderful to have your active presence on the boards as well!

I am currently using a program called Character Quality Language Arts for LA and it is a wonderful program which integrates all components of LA together into one book, so that you don't have spelling, dictation, grammar, writing, etc., all separate. There is a character trait focus for one month at a time and the passages that you use for all components of LA concentrate on that character trait. I think I will most likely continue with that, but wanted to know the options that you recommend as well.

Thank you!!
Tiffini
HOD Users since 2008