Bible question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bramble

Bible question

Post by Bramble » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Is there any memorization of the books of the Bible and the Ten Commandments and such through the years of HOD? just curious what I need to add as my children do not attend any children's Sunday school, etc. so all their Bible comes from us!
Thanks.

Bramble

Re: Bible question

Post by Bramble » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 pm

bumping up and adding another question...

Is there a list somewhere that shows the Bible focus for each year?

Candice

Post by Candice » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Bramble,

I know Carrie or Julie will come along soon and clarify things for you way better than I can but, in the mean time I will add...
That within LHTH, you would read from the specified picture Bible (I am referring to The new Bible In Pictures For Little Eyes, that's what we used) about God giving the Ten Commandments to Moses. Although there isn't a specific memorization assignment, I do remember going over the Commandments with my daughter to help her acknowledge and learn them.
Also, the recommended CD set that goes along with LHTH (The Singing Bible by Focus On The Family) has a song titled "Ten Commandments". This is a very catchy tune, as all of the tunes from this CD are, and VERY GOOD for learning and remembering the Ten Commandments.
About the books of the Bible, this same CD also has a song titled "The Books We love The Best". This is a fantastic song for learning and remembering the books of the bible. I adore this CD and love this song in particular, although they are all wonderful. My daughter has learned and memorized especially well as a result of the concepts being delivered in a musical format, I cannot recommend this CD enough. So, the pairing of the bible readings/guided activities and the music CD are more than sufficient for helping kiddos memorize specific concepts, in my opinion.

Then, as you move into LHFHG you will cover the Ten Commandments again. First, in the picture bible ( I am referring to The Family-Time Bible In Pictures by Kenneth Taylor, that's what we used) and the assigned pages detail the commandments specifically so, you are actually reading all of the commandments to your kiddo. A great opportunity for memorization if you desire. Also, the related "Dramatic Play" lesson within the same unit/same day will further cement the concepts by doing an activity that will include coverage of the commandments again. All this to say that all concepts are very well covered within the HOD guides.

Although we have not started BLHFHG, I see that within the Emerging Reader's Set, the kiddo will begin the set by reading through one of the two reader Bibles for themselves so, the kiddo will re-visit the Ten Commandments yet again. I think that through repetition and the variety of fantastic activities your kiddo would get a very thorough understanding of biblical concepts.

My girls don't attend Sunday School on a regular basis (because we are usually gone camping on the weekends), they have not attended Awanas or anything like that however, I feel like HOD has been completely sufficient in ensuring that my girls have a very solid biblical foundation. I can only imagine that as we move through the HOD years, through the wonderful guides, my girls will be very well prepared for hiding God's word in their hearts and sharing that light with others.

Candice :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:25 am

Candice already did a wonderful job of answering this question for the younger guides! Our dc do not attend Sunday School either, so we depend on HOD's Bible as well. Our dc do know their 10 Commandments and books of the Bible (though they still use their Table of Contents too) just from HOD's younger guides that we've done. We have been so pleased with how thorough the Bible is focused upon throughout all of HOD's guides! :D God's word is woven into so much of HOD that it is difficult to single out things, as we are reading in the Bible, discussing it, studying passages/Godly character traits/Biblical men and women, memorizing Scripture, copying Scripture, etc. all of the time every single day with the Bible, at the upper levels especially. There is not a day that goes by that our dc are not in their Bibles due to HOD. Praise the Lord! :D I also love that each year has a slightly different focus to it. You can really get a good feel for the focus by looking at each guide's "Introduction" PDF. For example, here is CTC's Bible Study Description from its Introduction:

Each day includes the following Bible study activities: Bible reading from The DK Illustrated Family Bible or your own Bible, a Scripture focus, a prayer focus, Scripture memory work, and music. As often as possible, Bible readings correspond with the history readings. Within each unit the prayer focus rotates through the 4 parts of prayer: adoration, confession, thanksgiving, and supplication. The Scripture focus sets the tone for the prayer for that day. Students memorize all of Philippians 2 through repetition, copywork, and music. Musical selections from The Bible Study in Stereo: Philippians 2 correspond with the Bible memory verses in the program. At the end of each unit, students copy the Scripture memory selection in a Common Place Book. (Note: See the description of a Common Place Book under the “Reading About History” section of the Introduction.)

Of course, there is the Genesis Finding Our Roots study in CTC as well, and the Geography of the Holy Lands. Plus God's hand is shown through all of history and science. I could go on, but you get the idea I'm trying to share here. :D The Bible is just an integral part of everything in HOD ! :D You are so wise to be wanting this in your day, and you have totally made the right decision in choosing HOD to help ensure Christ is at the center of homeschooling! If you just click on each guide's cover and then click on "Introduction", you can see what is covered each year. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie