Will not be advancing to the next guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaBear23Cubs

Will not be advancing to the next guide

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:06 pm

do to our craziness of life on our side of the world. We are only halfway thru Preparing. Everyone is advancing in other subjects but for science and history HOD has become a two year program instead of one.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Mommamo

Re: Will not be advancing to the next guide

Post by Mommamo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 am

We started Beyond March a year ago and are just about to finish it this summer. Then we'll go full speed ahead with Bigger. I know some moms do take over a year to do one guide, whether it be because they planned it that way or because life just happened. Also, different families start guides at all different times. So no worries! I"m sure you're in good company. We'll finally finish up Beyond in August, I hope. That will be about a year and a half after we started it, and we school year round! :lol:
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:11 am

Hey! Due to life circumstances we too are going to be a little over a year finishing our guide (CTC). My goal is to finish CTC by October and then jump straight into RTR (its in a box by my desk soo itching to start it when the guide comes).
Truthfully this is the first school year that I've finally shed that pressure that it has to be done by day 180. Totally freeing ! :D
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:39 am

We did the same thing with Preparing, though that wasn't the original plan. :) I am so proud of us for actually finishing in May, even if it took longer than we expected. The satisfaction that we had when we completed it was phenomenal!

In our years prior to HOD (Preparing was our first guide) we did lots of studying the ancients, so this year we're skipping CTC and headed into RTR. This summer we're working on Write With the Best to get my son's writing on par for RTR. I really love HOD and I wish that we had worked harder on Preparing and been able to cover CTC. My son is at the older spectrum, so RTR will be a good fit. I just wish that I found HOD sooner and developed the discipline needed to get school done each day. :)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:45 am

Hi MamaBear23cubs! :D We have taken anywhere between 1-2 years to do HOD guides, depending on placement, pregnancies, and pacing (the 3 P's, I guess! :lol: ). As long as you are alright with it, I think it's just fine. :) I am wondering if you have a question we could brainstorm answers together for though? If not, then onto the second half of PHFHG for a big finish :D , but if so, we'd be glad to chime in to help as best we can! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:17 am

I tried to double up the days but didn't work out as planned. If it was just her and me it wouldn't be so bad but with the other two in the mix, it started to take away from them and our stopping time. Still getting use to the fact it takes a hour to drive to appts and such and if we take public transportation it takes another hour. That ate our days away. I start back up in September and by them I should have routine and how things go under control. We will have 13-16 weeks of schooling before we prepare for daddy to return from sea.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:07 pm

We got a little behind this year too. Preparing gets a little fuller in the end and harder to double the days. We have kind of been taking it day by day with deciding how much we are going to do and that has been working. We are getting closer to being done. :D But I think stretching it out is a fine idea as well. It is not a big deal to start a guide mid year even if that ends up being when you are done. Just enjoy it. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 am

MamaBear23Cubs wrote:I tried to double up the days but didn't work out as planned. If it was just her and me it wouldn't be so bad but with the other two in the mix, it started to take away from them and our stopping time. Still getting use to the fact it takes a hour to drive to appts and such and if we take public transportation it takes another hour. That ate our days away. I start back up in September and by them I should have routine and how things go under control. We will have 13-16 weeks of schooling before we prepare for daddy to return from sea.
We've never done well with the doubling up concept here either. We tried it one year when I'd had a baby and then had a surgery 6 months after that. The doubling up just took the joy right out our day and made me so tense. After that, we just decided to move forward as we are able. I can empathize that this is a super busy time for you right now. I remember driving to doctor's appointments too (when my ds had to wear a helmet), and I can imagine that public transportation would add even more time. I'm praying that the Lord helps you through this busy time and helps you find encouragement, and that the doctor's appointments go well and help improve health where needed. I'm also praying for a period of rest and refreshment for you now, and a good start in September. I do think the second half of PHFHG should go smoothly, as you've already gotten into the routine of doing it and your dc know what to expect. I am sure you can't wait to see your dh after that - I can imagine you miss him very much! Be sure to celebrate what you have finished in PHFHG though - that is a noteworthy accomplishment that deserves celebration, so hang in there - you are doing a good job!!! :D

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie