HS science??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momx3

HS science??

Post by momx3 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi everyone.
We've decided on placement for our two youngest dc but we're still trying to figure out ds 10th grade....He did Biology (Apologia) this year (9th) and Chemistry is next. Is there anyway that we could spread Chemistry over 10th-11th grade? OR What could you guys suggest for him if we do RTR? Is science included there...as far as HS credits? Should we do an easier Chemistry this year?
Thanks for your input! :D
Kelley
Kelley
Married to my wonderful dh Travis 19yrs.
Mom to 3 dc:
Benjamin-16-10th;eclectic
Emma-11-6th;BHFHG
Millie-7-2nd;BLHFHG

dawntx

Re: HS science??

Post by dawntx » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Just a friendly bump to the top!

Blessings,
Dawn
We have used LHFHG<BLHFHG>BHFHG>PHFHG>CTC>RTR>Rev/Rev
14ds-Rev-Rev
11ds-CTC
8dd-Bigger
5dd-LHFHG

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:30 pm

You would need to add high school science. We are going to use Spectrum Chemistry from Beginnings Science (makers of Rainbow Science). Of course you could just continue with Apologia Chemistry. I don't see any reason you couldn't do it over two years.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Kelley,

8arrows has already given you great advice! We too are leaning in the Spectrum Chemistry direction (from Beginnings Publishing) for high school chemistry for our own son at this point. I agree that you could spread chemistry out over 2 years. One thing to consider is that if your son will be going to college, most colleges are moving toward wanting to see 4 years of science (3 of which are to be a lab science) for any students interested in a math or science related field. Some colleges want to see that type of science on the transcript no matter what degree your child is pursuing. So, make sure to ponder that before stretching out the chemistry. :D

Spectrum Chemistry is done 3 times weekly. I can't remember right now if the 4th day is a lab or if the lab is part of the 3 days, however it appears quite manageable time-wise to complete within a year. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 pm

If you did want to spread it out over two year you could do DIVE Physical science using BJU physical science. This is not like an earth science course. It is an intro to Chem and Physics. I am told and have seen that it is worthy of high school credit. People are putting it on transcripts not as physical science but as intro to Chem/intro to physics because really that is what the course is rather than a typical physical science course. It does have labs as well. The next course would then be an AP level course. Just another thought.

If you go this route the DIVE CD is the main part of the course. The BJU book that you need with the CD is just the student manual. It is for reading along side DIVE. According to the DIVE instructor you do not need the teacher edition from BJU. This is what we are doing this year with RTR.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:08 pm

I'll go out on a limb here and make a totally different suggestion - you could use what is already scheduled in RTR and add some supplements and the course would be titled "Earth Science" and you can easily add more to the assigned labs. Hands of a Child offers an 9-12 grade lapbook/research guide for astronomy and Ring of Fire offers some earth science for high schoolers (w/ lab), for example. It would be easy to keep the science in the CM realm and just require a higher level of expectation in their lab reports. One thing to remember about Chemistry is that they need to have completed Algebra 1 and 2 or taking Algebra 2 concurrently. Spectrum by Rainbow is great and I'll be using for my 11th grader - it is 3 days a week just like the lower levels - 2 days of reading/discussing and 1 day of labs (which are quite challenging despite the ease of the program). You would need to check with colleges that your child might be interested in attending and see what they are looking for science-wise and also whether your state has any requirements. I looked at my local high school catalog of classes and was surprised to find that Earth Science was offered in 11th grade as an AP class so---sometimes there is a little flexibility to make things work for your child's needs/interests - just be sure to check with those colleges first.
Heidi
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Great discussion ladies! This is such an important area for high school and one that we are researching along with you! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momx3

Post by momx3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:47 am

Thank you, ladies!
I've been away for awhile, but knew when I got back, I'd have lots of great advice. Checking into all of it today.
Kelley
Kelley
Mom to 3 dc:
Emma-11-6th;BHFHG
Millie-7-2nd;BLHFHG

momx3

Post by momx3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:55 am

Sorry, I sent the last post before I asked another question. :?

Benjamin had trouble with Algebra I last year (CLE) so we stopped after LU 905 and we're changing to another program this year....TT?....not sure. Anyway, since he'll had Algebra I again this year, should I wait on Chemistry? I noticed that there are Physical Science courses mentioned that contain pre-chemistry things, but he took Apologia's Physical Science in the 8th grade.

If we need to wait on Chemistry until he's finished with, or taking Algebra II, should we take another course such as the Physical Science class? It's not on his transcript because he took it in Jr. High.

Thanks for the input!
Kelley
Kelley
Mom to 3 dc:
Emma-11-6th;BHFHG
Millie-7-2nd;BLHFHG

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 am

Total out on a limb here but --- if you were thinking about Chemistry and wanted to do the Rainbow Spectrum Chemistry, they offer a Bridge Math program that is just 7 weeks (summer) to prepare for the math needed in Chemistry. This would keep your child on track - you could start the math and when finished pick up the science.

A complete different through on the math/Algebra issue - have you looked at Life of Fred. They have a Beginnings Algebra book that might help your son better understand the math. When used with home companion book, it is a complete Algebra class but (if you didn't go the Bridge Math route), you could have him work through the LOF book over the summer and if he completes this, you could give him the full credit (added to what he did in CLE) for Algebra and he'd be on his way (I would also have to consider the same idea if you used Bridge Math). My dd hated math although understood it but the Life of Fred books have been awesome. Not a lot of extra problems (some kids need more work) but it just seems to help some kids really understand the why's of math - and the cost is manageable. I believe CLE is spiral in nature and if this did not work, I'd be careful switching to TT because it is taught in the spiral method, too. Does your ds need a visual/audio instructor? Mastery? BJU now offers theirs courses online and are more cost efficient so it might be something to look at. My ds used Saxon so I thought he was a spiral learner and then we switched to TT - bad switch! I decided to go with BJU for mastery and he has done wonderfully - and this year was geometry! Not an easy class. Just a few ideas.
I know, probably way more than you wanted to read..... I'm a talker/typer, sorry :)

Heidi
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

momx3

Post by momx3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Heidi,
No, it wasn't too much to read! I love all the advice and options that you guys give! We thought about LOF for Algebra....would we do Spectrum Chem or Apologia Chem while doing LOF?

Would you suggest starting with the Bridge Math 7 week program in the fall and just going right into Chemistry the 8th week?

When you mentioned BJU....were you talking about their Algebra program? Chemistry?

I looked at DIVE into Chem with BJUs Physical World textbook (intro. into Chem and Physics) but what would I call that? If it's intro to Chem/Physics would he then take "Chemistry" his 11th grade year?

Sorry for more and more questions!LOL
I learn so much from everyone! :D
Kelley
Kelley
Mom to 3 dc:
Emma-11-6th;BHFHG
Millie-7-2nd;BLHFHG

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:52 pm

I did a little "snooping" on line and found that the pre-requisite for Apologia's Chemistry (not the advanced course) is Algebra 1 - nothing more. You need Algebra 2 for the next Chemistry course they offer. Okay, that said, when you wrote that your ds was going to have to re-take algebra this year, and you mentioned that he had already completed quite a few CLE units, my thinking-mode went into - what could you do now, using the CLE already done, to finish up Algebra 1 so he ends the year with the credit rather than a complete do-over (unless, of course, it was a total bad, bad, bad situation). Life of Fred came to mind because the Beginning Algebra book is Algebra 1. I suppose you could look through it to figure out where to begin and work on from there. If you just used the reader (it also has the home companion) that would be worth 1/2 a credit (using both equals a full credit). Another idea would be to use the Spectrum Math - consider that course work as the other "half" of his Algebra credit. Another option might be to find his weaknesses and perhaps use a few of the Key to workbooks that teach the algebra skills. Maybe over the summer? maybe not a favorable idea but may be necessary based on whether he would like to attend college? Many colleges need Alg 1, 2, Geometry (these 3 before you take the SATs) and 1 more higher-level math?

We have not had good luck with Apologia stuff at my house, I need more visual/audio options although Apologia came out with some DVD lectures this year so I may give this a second look. I've used the Rainbow level and we loved it; the science got done although for some it probably wasn't deep enough. This particular child is not a science-minded kid and his gifts don't seem to be headed in that direction. I'm leaning towards Spectrum but I'm still searching......as usual.

When I mentioned BJU, I was referring to their math (their literature courses are great, too). Their science is advanced for the average student and was waaaaaayyyy over my ds' head. I hesitate to label it "AP" because I have no experience with AP courses, but it sure seems hard enough to be called that! I've not used the DIVE program so no help there. Sorry.
Heidi

momx3

Post by momx3 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Heidi,
Thanks for your help. I feel like I'm going in circles with ds curric :roll:

I've looked at the Key To....series. Are these hard enough to count as "Alg. I", "Geom", etc.? If not, would they work for the second half of his credit? Is there Alg II in this series?

When you mentioned LOF reader only, does the home companion have extra work which makes it worth more than just using the reader?

Thanks again!
Kelley
Kelley
Mom to 3 dc:
Emma-11-6th;BHFHG
Millie-7-2nd;BLHFHG

psreit

Post by psreit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Maybe most who read this want dc to cover higher level math and science for college purposes. In the case of my 2 oldest dc who are already graduated, they did some algebra, but they decided they wanted to go to more of the business math. DS did consumer math and accounting. DD did consumer math and business math. Abeka's consumer math is great. That is 10th grade level.

As far as science, dd was really interested in environmental science. She was involved in Envirothon, which is a competition in environmental science between public schools, Christian schools and homeschoolers from certain counties. They made teams and competed in areas like tree identification, soil, aquatics, wildlife and more. My daughter was on our homeschool team for a number of years and loved it. She really enjoyed that type of science. So, one year, for one of her high school credits, she did strictly environmental science. We just added more reading and writing in the areas the team was studying. By the way, our homeschool group has won the overall competition several years (against many public schools). I heard they won again this year. :D

Depending on your dc's pursuits, there are other ways to gain high school credits. I thought my ds would pursue something in history or business, but he ended up becoming a preacher :D My dd(20) with spina bifida worked at a remedial level and basically got credits in general science courses and math courses. There are Christian colleges that do not require all of the higher level math and science if the degree does not require it. So, if desired, there are alternatives. Like a pp said, you could use the science in HOD and just beef it up with more reading and writing. My evaluator, with very much teaching experience in high school level, said, as long as the child is progressing, it counts. HTH
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:46 am

I have only used, thus far, the LOF Pre-Algebra with Biology - for my dd who is entering 9th this year and the experience was awesome. My dd hates math although she can do perform the math skills very well. She loves the independence and self-instruction. I know many complain that their kids look ahead at the answers but for her, she is truly "by the book" and this is not an issue. The Beginning Algebra book has a home companion book added to it that makes the course a complete 1 year course - without that companion I have been told, does not make a complete course. Apparently (I don't have my copy just yet as I'm buying from a homeschool family who is just finishing it) in that home companion book are more problems to round out the program. Now, I will say that there are people who think that LOF is not enough on its own but I tend to think that is because it is not filled with problem after problem after problem and we tend to remember when we were in school and our experiences that comes into play when designing and selecting our child's education. I've since learned that the way I've learned is not necessarily the way any of my kids learn nor was it the best way to learn. I'm not sure what "credit" the Key To books would be worth. I'm not entirely sure they would be worth a full year's credit and I think most people use them as a supplement to help their kids in areas that they may struggle. I believe they are pretty short books in length so that could be an issue for you or not. No easy answers, I know. I think so much depends on where the child is headed - community college, 4 year college right from high school, technical school, vocational - or perhaps still not sure.
Heidi