How many here have switched from MFW or WP?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
susie in ms

How many here have switched from MFW or WP?

Post by susie in ms » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:48 pm

I see some familiar names from when I was a member of these loops. I am really curious how many have switched from these two and why you made the switch?

Thanks muchly!!

shera

Post by shera » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:11 pm

I switched after completing MFW K. First didn't look very appealing and my dh said try it and if HOD doesn't work we can always switch back to MFW next yr. What do we have to lose.

I will say though that when everyone else says they either love or hate something I tend to be the exception to the rule. I enjoyed MFW K and I am enjoying HOD but I wouldn't say I love either one. Hope that makes sense.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:44 pm

I switched from WP to MFW K than MFW1st and we discontinued MFW Adventures for HOD.

HOD Beyond is working really well for us. Much, much easier to implement, more interesting, and more age appropriate. I like that LA and math can be separate, so if we need a quick day, I get in my 3 R's in without being totally messed up in the TM. We had a real problem with MFW1st because it was so intermingled. I love that HOD entails some physical fun, reasonable length bible verse memory and the character integration with the subjects is fantastic. It really gives my dd a solid foundation on the meaning of the character and bible issues because they use the storytime and history as examples in the "Key" notes. It's way more open and go than MFW is. MFW had a lot to read in the TM. I just find this easier, faster and more engaging and it is completely twaddle free. IMHO MFW had some busywork/twaddle and I think my dd was somewhere in between MFW Adventures and MFW1st.

I like that I have book choices and can still do the one stop shop. It's just put together like no other. We love it! I'm finding that this has worked well in my dd's understanding of bible verses, their meaning and implementation. She really gets into discussions!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:47 pm

I switched from MFW K and sold off my other MFW program after doing LHFHG and really feeling like the other program was not going to be what I wanted it to be.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:00 pm

shera wrote:I switched after completing MFW K. First didn't look very appealing and my dh said try it and if HOD doesn't work we can always switch back to MFW next yr. What do we have to lose.

I will say though that when everyone else says they either love or hate something I tend to be the exception to the rule. I enjoyed MFW K and I am enjoying HOD but I wouldn't say I love either one. Hope that makes sense.

Sarah
Sarah just wrote my post for me! :wink: I tend to have fun with whatever I'm doing and we did really enjoy MFW K, but I am also having a blast with Little Hearts. The only difference for me is I plan to stick with HOD for as long as possible. It just suits my style and personality to a T.

There was a thread awhile back about losing that "feeling" about a curriculum about half-way through the year, and we all agreed that you just don't do that with HOD. I can honestly say it has stopped all my "window shopping" for other curriculums....I feel content.

I also totally agree with the way Ann explained MFW vs. HOD. That was a really good comparison.

I grew up in MS....near Corinth. My sis-in-law and family live in Olive Branch. Go Grits (girls raised in the south)!! :D
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

mom2every1

Post by mom2every1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:39 pm

I switched from the MFW . We are finishing our year with Rome to Reformation. It was ok for my older kids, but did seem like History took most of the day and we had little time for the 3Rs. ALso we spent a loooong time on Rome, which was great and had some great spiritual insights, but feels now like we are skimming through the rest of history up to the Reformation. I feel like we really missed out on the Middle Ages.

Anyway, it is too late for my older kids, but my 9 yo and 5 yo will be using Bigger, and Little... We went ahead and started Little Hearts and I am so in love with it!

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:55 pm

You said:
"I can honestly say it has stopped all my "window shopping" for other curriculums....I feel content."
Now that has to be the quote of the century!! It must be wrote down in some book somewhere!!! I am hoping that HOD will do that for me too, and it looks like it will. :D

You also said:
"I grew up in MS....near Corinth. My sis-in-law and family live in Olive Branch. Go Grits (girls raised in the south)!! :D"
How cool!! I meet TWO GRITS from this board in one day!!! :D

Thanks to everyone who has posted!!! Keep em coming! :lol:

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi Susie,

I just came from WinterPromise. It was a very difficult decision for me because I absolutely love the people who use this program and had come to know many very well. However, HOD fits my family like a Glove. It's not too much and it's not too little.

Here are the reasons it's a better fit for "my" family:

Christ Centered- Biblical Worldview (first and foremost)

Living Books mixed w/ traditional text

Key Idea's help me teach better

The simplicity of the layout helps me stay consistent.

HTH,
Mary :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:27 am

We recently switched from WP. Our reason was that the program just didn't feel like it flowed very smoothly. Read about this topic in this book then do a totally unrelated craft next a totally unrelated devotional. It just didn't flow well in our family. It was a tough choice to switch especially mid year since I loved the looks of WP. So far, my daughter is loving HOD and asking for more school.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:22 am

crlacey wrote:We recently switched from WP. Our reason was that the program just didn't feel like it flowed very smoothly. Read about this topic in this book then do a totally unrelated craft next a totally unrelated devotional. It just didn't flow well in our family. It was a tough choice to switch especially mid year since I loved the looks of WP. So far, my daughter is loving HOD and asking for more school.
WOW I had not idea WP was disjointed like that. I have only seen samples so I don't have experience with it. The ONLY thing that kept me from trying the MA with my hs ds was the price tag. :shock: I'm glad we passed now.

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:52 am

We will be doing MFW K this Fall since I bought it last year but will switch for grade 1 even though I do have MFW Grade 1.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:35 am

Melanie wrote:There was a thread awhile back about losing that "feeling" about a curriculum about half-way through the year, and we all agreed that you just don't do that with HOD. I can honestly say it has stopped all my "window shopping" for other curriculums....I feel content.
I agree! :D
Last edited by water2wine on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

wdworkman

Post by wdworkman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:46 am

We have used both - MFW K, 1st, a year of history & currently ECC. We used WP for one year. I'm planning to start Preparing with my son in the fall. I didn't find out about HOD until a few months ago!

I have enjoyed both programs & they were fine for my daughter. But now that she's in high school, (usually listens to our read-alouds and Bible reading, but off doing her own work for the most part), I need to concentrate more on what will work with my almost 10 yos. I think that HOD will be perfect for him.

Nancy

Post by Nancy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:03 pm

This is our 4th year of attempting to make MFW work over here. I know, slow learner over here. We started with their ECC program (which we really enjoyed) and then embarked upon the 4 year History cycle. While I appreciate MFW's heart and ministry very much, the book choices were just not working for us. I have found that each year, I spend a huge amount of $ on a package, only to find myself deleting books and adding them, and well, tweaking it to death. I don't like to skip around a lot in books...I prefer keeping everything on a chronological timeline, and learning about everything taking place in the world during that time. Mystery of History works this way (which is the book I ended up supplementing the ancient time period with during that year), as also does "George Washington's World" which MFW uses for Ex. to 1850, but we have chosen to ditch the tm in favor of reading it cover to cover. MFW tends to focus more jumping around in the books in order to keep a topic together. Anyways, to complete our History cycle for next year, I decided to go with Truthquest History for my older two (6th/8th grades), while moving them toward more independent learning for next year. My focus for next year will be mostly upon my little ones using HOD's LHTH (3yo) and BIGGER...(young 3rd grader). My older two are using A Beka's DVD program with the exception of History with Mom. :) I know...not any where close to CM style, but they have actually asked to do it. They like the "schoolish", structured feel, as well as their independence as they have grown older.

If HOD had a program for the olders, I would definitely consider it if it moved the kids toward independence in their learning. I love the layout of the younger HOD manuals. The book choices seem VERY age appropriate, which is also part of my struggle with other programs that I've used/seen. Everything scheduled in the manual seems to have a real purpose and looks like it's actally doable. Short and to the point lessons for the youngers...perfect. I also like that I'm not reading the same thing from 3 different spines. They learn the topic, then have real, living books with which to dive in deeper. I felt like with MFW, there were too many spines and encyclopedias. I also wanted to have the children reading more on their own about the time period, and with HOD, I have previously prescreened books that are child appropriate in order to accomplish this. I also love the focus on the different genres of literature in a gentle sort of way, while drawing out a character focus as well.

So...while I'm still thankful for so many Biblically focused curriculum companies out there, I guess you could say that I've become a HOD convert. :)

Nancy
Nancy
Mom to 4
1 using LHTH
1 using Bigger

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks for your post, Nancy. We are finishing up ECC this year and we have enjoyed it. I am very thankful that we've had this year for what it has taught us and opened our eyes to. However, I was feeling not so excited about the following year after looking at the book selections. So, it was affirming to me to read about your experiences as well. That further helps me along in the decision making process for what I want to do next year.
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008