OT: Child who wants to become a teacher?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

OT: Child who wants to become a teacher?

Post by MommyInTraining » Wed May 19, 2010 3:10 pm

My dd has expressed an interest in becoming a teacher when she is older.

How would you encourage a child who has that desire?

Would you want them to be a teacher?

Just trying to figure out how to address it, and wondering what other homeschooler's thoughts are on it.

Thanks!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

MamaPajama

Re: OT: Child who wants to become a teacher?

Post by MamaPajama » Wed May 19, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't think I would discourage that. I think every child has this desire at some point. I know I did, and now I'm a homeschool teacher! :D If the child does decide to become a teacher someday, it's clear that the schools could use more great ones! However, likelihood is, as with most kids, the child will change their mind several times before making a real decision.

sted

Re: OT: Child who wants to become a teacher?

Post by sted » Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 pm

I agree with the last poster. My girls to have expressed that desire and it's somewhat of a dilemma mentally isn't it? I think as they grow up, things will change so you never know where this desire will lead. My prayer is that hopefully they would use that God given desire to homeschool as they were homeschooled but there are other opportunities to teach. Our pastor was in Africa and mentioned that almost every church has a school attached to it. While the idea of conventional and institutional "school" makes me uncomfortable, we have to remember that there are very few literate adults in those countries and just like the early days of America, schools were the only way totreach people to read and be able to read the Bible.

Blessings,
Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1