Grammar besides R&S

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inhisgrip

Grammar besides R&S

Post by inhisgrip » Mon May 03, 2010 7:59 pm

We have used R&S and it's just too intense of a program for our family. I'm looking for an alternative. We will be using Preparing with Extensions for my 11 yod. Any suggestions? Thoughts about Easy Grammar? I need ease of use. I'm preggers with 4 other children (one older, 3 ages 6 and under).

Thanks,
Christine
Christine Salinas
Helpmeet to Pete for 14 years, Homeschooling our 5 blessings with one on the way in December!

deltagal

Re: Grammar besides R&S

Post by deltagal » Tue May 04, 2010 4:55 am

Christine,
Not knowing anything about your previous use of Rod and Staff I simply want to suggest that you revisit Rod and Staff and the ways it is used with HOD. Our family has been through quite a bit of grammar and Rod and Staff has been the simplest and most effective material we've used. The lessons are incredibly brief, incremental in their approach, and effective. Proper placement makes a tremendous difference, because Rod and Staff is quite advanced, imho. For example, my 13 yo is in Book 5, my 11 yo in Book 3 and my 8 yo in Book 2. Post back on what the previous challenges were and perhaps, we might be able to help you.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Tue May 04, 2010 5:17 am

I have not personally used Easy Grammar, but I have heard lots of ladies in my area use it and they just rave about it.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Tue May 04, 2010 5:33 am

Easy Grammar is easy to use, definitely. However, if you have a child who is just going through the motions and is not into grammar, then it probably wont' work.

Christine, I have a newly turned 11 yr old boy that I will start CTC with soon. I was going to use R and S 4, but should I use 3? If so, is 3 even compatible with CTC, or are you using it with something different?j

Alison

inhisgrip

Post by inhisgrip » Tue May 04, 2010 5:39 am

I tried to use 4 with my then 10 yo last year and we probably could have kept going. My then 13 yo was using 5 and it was just too much.

It does take more time with me and maybe that's what was difficult. Balancing it all. I'll look at 3 and 4 again. I'll probably go with easy grammar ultimate for my now 14 yo. We are doing an eclectic approach with him for high school.

Thanks ladies
Christine Salinas
Helpmeet to Pete for 14 years, Homeschooling our 5 blessings with one on the way in December!

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Tue May 04, 2010 6:03 am

I have tried my share of grammar too. I will have to say R & S is my favorite. My son is finally retaining what he is learning :D With the other programs, we did try easy grammar, it was as if just going through the motions. Later there was no retention. I was very skeptical to try R & S b/c when I opened the book and looked at it :shock: Looked to be too much. I started reading posts on the board about others using R & S. It changed my mind, to at least try it. Boy am I glad I did. What made me change my mind was the approach. Instead of doing the lessons entirely on paper, we do some orally, some on dry erase board and some on paper. The mix would depend on the child and level. Example my ds 8 does most of it oral. My ds 9 does a good mix of the 3, depends on day and lesson. I really hope this helps. I feel R & S is superior. I pray that God leads you to the right grammar for your family.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Tue May 04, 2010 7:31 am

i am glad to hear some input about Easy Grammar. i plan on using R & S when we get to it, But i was curious about Easy Grammar. I wonder if many moms around here are finding their children are not retaining the information.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 am

R & S would be time consuming for me if we didn't do a good portion of it orally and on markerboard. We do about 2/3 of it this way, and then my ds finishes it out. So, a typical lesson takes 20 minutes. We do the oral review questions in the teacher's guide, and then go through each section doing 2/3 of it orally/me writing on markerboard to model if necessary, and 1/3 written. I describe it in detail here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4659&p=34269#p34269

If I didn't do R & S this way, I imagine it could feel like a totally different program. I'd suggest giving this a try if you haven't, as R & S done this way cannot be beat for coverage, ease of completion, and amount of time. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Tue May 04, 2010 11:52 am

True Story - This morning I was nursing our baby and my 13 yo son handed me the R&S 5 teacher's manual and plopped down with the student text on the couch across from me. He said, "I'm so tired from doing math I just want to do something easy for a little bit....and this grammar is EASY." I laughed and said, "Do you really think so?" He said, "yes, it's just enough to learn something new and then you review and review and review...and it's quick!" So this is the gospel from my son who has used Easy Grammar, Shirley Grammar and pieces of Abeka.

Alison in KY asked about placement. It just depends on how much grammar your son has had up to this point. Any R&S level is compatible with HOD. If he's not had much grammar I might begin with 3 and move through it quickly, so you have a good foundation for 4. OR you could begin with 4 and just move slower. I began my now 13 yo with 4 last year when he was 12 and it was a bit of a learning curve for him, because he had difficulty grasping the different parts of speech (at first).
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Thu May 06, 2010 5:00 am

3 isn't written into CTC is it?

I wanted to comment on EG again. It's like everything else, it totally works for some and not for others. I can see that when my son actually starts paying attention and remembering the grammar terms that it would have it's place in our lives. However, on kids who pick grammar up easily then it's probably work out fine...and pretty easy :D .

Alison

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed May 12, 2010 7:47 pm

CTC schedules Rod and Staff English 4 and 5 at half-speed (completing the other half in RTR) in order to provide time for writing and lit. study. :D

Here's a couple of links where I share our thinking on Rod and Staff that may help as you ponder:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3963

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1996

Blessings,
Carrie

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Thu May 13, 2010 4:36 am

I am using A.C.E. after completing FLL volumes 1-4. We gave R&S a try but FLL more enjoyable for us. A.C.E. is giving my daughter the independence she needs and something less teacher invasive which is something I need for the next year or so.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Lynnielou

Post by Lynnielou » Thu May 13, 2010 1:35 pm

I hope it's all right to jump into this thread and ask a question, related to grammar. If not, sorry.

My 9 y.o. dd just completed 4th grade language, with ABeka. She learned all the parts of speech toward the end of this school year, and pretty much has a grasp on them.

Which R & S do you recommend for her?

Thanks,
Lynn

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 14, 2010 9:36 am

Lynnielou wrote:I hope it's all right to jump into this thread and ask a question, related to grammar. If not, sorry.

My 9 y.o. dd just completed 4th grade language, with ABeka. She learned all the parts of speech toward the end of this school year, and pretty much has a grasp on them.

Which R & S do you recommend for her?

Thanks,
Lynn
I'd say R & S English 4, probably half-speed. Others may chime in as well. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie