Ordering Bigger with questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhomeschooling

Ordering Bigger with questions

Post by happyhomeschooling » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi thanks for help, I am sure these questions may have been asked before so forgive me if this is redundant!
I am in the process of ordering Bigger packages, and am needing a little guidance!

1) My daughter is a fairley strong reader, wondering about suggestions for DITHOR reading levels? pack 2 or 3??
2)What is included in the "basic package" with the math? Is that just the math or the also the English, devotionals, and hyms? or are those seperate?
Thank you and sorry again for my confusion! :oops:
Lesley
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

Kathleen

Re: Ordering Bigger with questions

Post by Kathleen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Lesley,

You can really go with whichever pack of books for DITHOR your daughter is ready for. Did you see the reading levels for the 2 packs? The Level 2 pack has reading levels of 3.0-4.1 (beginning 3rd grade-4th grade, 1st month), and Level 3 pack has reading levels of 3.5-5.1 (3rd grade, 5th month - 5th grade, 1st month). If you're just starting with DITHOR, I'd err on the side of getting books that are a little too easy than books that are too challenging. Your discussion time and filling in the student book pages will add enough of a new challenge to keep it interesting. I started with the Level 2 pack with my son in 3rd grade when we were new to HOD and DITHOR. It was a great start! :D Then this year we skipped to the 4/5 pack of boy books (but kept the 2/3 student book to do less writing). So, it's super-easy to use it however works best for you.

The basic package will include the English, Hymns for a Kid's Heart, Little Pillows, & your Singapore math (either 2A & 2B OR 3A & 3B).

We had a wonderful year with Bigger! :D I'm sure your little gal will enjoy it!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for your help, I appriciate your response. We have dearly loved every program so far so and are looking forward to using Bigger!

We will be using Bigger for 2nd grade, so I will get the pack 2 books.
Also I was wondering about the "project book" what it is and if it is reccomended!

Thank you and many Blessings!
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:37 pm

We've enjoyed all the projects we've done from the Book Projects to Send Home book. It gives a 3rd option to choose from for every genre as the project at the end. There are already 2 other options there. Usually the one from that book is something to make that goes along with a story element. The other options already in DITHOR will be related to the character quality studied and a "group" project that you can do with your child (to be their group). My younger kids are willing volunteers for Grant with this option, too. I'd reccommend getting it, and I know it's out of print so you won't have the option to get it later.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Great! I got it all orderd! I cannot thank you enough for your help!
Cannot wait to start dd with it!
Many Blessings!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Kathleen already did an awesome job of chatting through this with you, so I'll just say you are in for a lot of fun with Bigger Hearts, and I think your decisions here sound like a super plan! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie