MADE A BELIEVER OUT OF ME

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
patekake

MADE A BELIEVER OUT OF ME

Post by patekake » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:51 pm

For eleven years I have homeschooled using textbooks/workbooks. Even though I felt drawn to embrace HOD at the beginning of the 2009-2010 school year, I was a little nervous about releasing my textbooks. I am so very thankful that we took the Creation to Christ journey and trusted that it would be an academically sound year. It has proved to be much more than just academically sound.

Well, I have shared in earlier posts about the blessing CTC has been to us spiritually and how much we have enjoyed our year learning ancient history. However, I received my dd's achievement test scores in the mail today, and the difference from last year to this year was unbelievable. She scored extremely high this year using HOD and just average in past years using textbooks/workbooks. There was an amazing improvement in spelling using dictation only. I, too, was one of those who was not so sure dictation would work for us, especially since spelling was her favorite subject last year. She almost doubled her score from previous years!!!! I am a believer!!

Blessed,

Patti
Wife of 27 years to Gene
25 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), working on Master's
23 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), Dental Assistant
13 year old dd, homeschooled, CTC (2009) and beginning RTR Aug, 2010

Tukata

Re: MADE A BELIEVER OUT OF ME

Post by Tukata » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:09 pm

This is so wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
Erin :D
Mama to
dd 5
dd 3
ds 1
All three growing up way too fast!!

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Such an encouragment! Thanks for sharing!!! I'm sure you're thrilled!!!
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:32 pm

It's great to hear from someone who's been in both camps!
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:44 pm

That's so wonderful to hear, Patti! :D You must be so very proud of your dd. I used to teach from textbooks/workbooks at first when I began teaching 15 years ago, as that's what our school district required. I too have been amazed at our dc's test scores with HOD! Give your dd an HOD hug - we're all so glad she did so well. Thanks for telling about how you've changed your teaching style as this is a journey from textbooks to CM style that all of us go through in some way, I think! It is encouraging to hear your experience with it. :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie