Oops! Read a book for DITHOR that's scheduled in PHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Benelli

Oops! Read a book for DITHOR that's scheduled in PHFHG

Post by Benelli » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Tomorrow we are supposed to start Door in the Wall for storytime. We just finished the historical fiction genre in DITHOR, and my daughter read that for her book choice. I was so careful to make sure she didn't choose any books she was going to be reading in her extension readings, but I forgot to look at storytime. Oops! I'm also combining her with my son in Preparing, and he really wants to read Door in the Wall. So, what should I do? I have 7 kids, so 2 separate storytimes is out of the question. I thought that maybe I could read the next book in the Raiders from the Sea series for storytime, and let my son read Door in the Wall for the next DITHOR genre that it could fit into. (Not Historical Fiction, because we won't get back around to that until next year!) If I do that, what other genre could it fit into? If there are none, he'll just have to wait! :wink:

Are there any other thoughts? Is the next Raiders book a good choice, or is it being used elsewhere in HOD? Or, does anyone recommend another book that could be substituted for Door in the Wall? Carrie, do you have any recommendation?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

Kathleen

Re: Oops! Read a book for DITHOR that's scheduled in PHFHG

Post by Kathleen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm pretty sure that the next Raider's from the Sea book is used in RTR (the new guide). I'm not sure if we can wait that long though!! :D We loved Raiders from the Sea!

I think you'd want to look for a book about the medieval time to use in place of Door in the Wall if you replace it. It was a good one, too. Grant loved it! I loved the way it encouraged you to look at what God had given you in life & make the most of it. He can use us no matter what we may think is "wrong" with us. :wink:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am

My older two also read Door In the Wall recently. So, we decided to read Adam of the Road in it's place and I will have my youngest listen to Door In the Wall on CD from the library. Maybe Adam of the Road would be a good substitute for you too. You may also want to try: Castle Dairies or Matilada Bone....

Just my thoughts!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

Benelli

Post by Benelli » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for the ideas juliekay. My oldest is reading Adam of the Road right now already, as it is in the extension pack. But, I will check out the other two books you mentioned. I also hadn't thought of letting the younger one listen to the Door in the Wall on CD. He would have an extra "storytime" added to his day, but he wouldn't mind that at all. He listens to anything he can on CD in his spare time anyway. So, you think Castle Diaries and Matilada Bone would make good read-alouds? Great! I will definitely take a look at them.

I'm still open to other ideas, in case I can't find those two books easily, or if anyone has another "must read" that isn't covered elsewhere in HOD for this time period.
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Benelli wrote: So, you think Castle Diaries and Matilada Bone would make good read-alouds? Great! I will definitely take a look at them. I'm still open to other ideas, in case I can't find those two books easily, or if anyone has another "must read" that isn't covered elsewhere in HOD for this time period.

Honestly, I don't think Castle Diaries or Matilda Bone has the depth of the HOD selections. I would also check Crispin by Avi. Enjoy reading with your children!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing