What was YOUR school experience?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jewell

Post by jewell » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:50 pm

I went to public school, and just loved learing.
I was a bit frustrated in high school, as I didn't go to a school that had much to challenge academically if you were not a math/sci person.
I did feel like I had to "fight" my education alot, and be very "on guard".
Going to a Christian college, I felt like a child in a candy shop. Yep, still needed discernment, but we were starting on the same page.

We homeschooled at the beginning because my dh asked me to consider it (before we married), and because after listing what I wanted my children to learn (spiritually, acadmically, socially, skills, habits...) I realized I'd be shooting myself in the foot to send them to school. Now it is for religious reasons.

I'm about to have my first graduate. I have 10 children
hth
Monique
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:43 pm

I attended public school K-12. HATED IT!!! I could tell you story after story but I won't bore you. :lol:

When I was pregnant and up until it was getting close to time to send our 1st child to school, I knew I was going to homeschool but I let fear creep in. My friend introduced us to a new private school that was opening. It is an Ambleside school that is based on the Charlotte Mason philosophy. I thought great! The best of both worlds - private school in a homeschool setting (how naive was I, that can't happen!). Well, we had to stand in faith that God would provide the money for tuition, books, uniforms, deposits, etc. Well the money never came and I searched my heart only to find that I knew what we were suppose to do - homeschool! When I submitted to the Lord I told my husband, expecting him to be surprised and he said, "I knew we were going to homeschool all along but you needed to get it settled for yourself."

I don't think that my school experience influenced our decision to homeschool. Maybe it did but in a small sense but our conviction to homeschool came from the Lord, He led us to homeschool. He directed our steps and made our path straight before us. There are times of doubt but there are many more times of confirmation that we are on that straight and narrow path.
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 am

My school experience was different than most of those already listed.

I am the youngest of 7 siblings and was raised in a Christian home. I attended PS through the 5th grade and then in 6th grade my parents placed me in a very good small Christian school (it had its faults of course...used ACE LOL! but as far as CS goes it was a good one). They started homeschooling my older sister (right above me) when it first became legal in NY for 11th & 12th grades, when she graduated and went to CFNIBS in Dallas, they brought me home and homeschooled me for my 11th & 12th grades, still under the Christian school with the ACE curriculum.

My oldest brother and his wife were homeschooling there children, so I was very comfortable with the idea of homeschooling (and my SIL was a great mentor) and my dh loved the idea of it, so we knew from the beginning that we would be homeschooling our children, and we have.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

silly

Post by silly » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:37 pm

I did fairly well in school in the beginning. We moved a lot, and I attended 13 schools in total from k-12. Around middle school, I stopped fitting in and things just went downhill from there. I did move into my dad's when I was at the end of my freshman year, and things were a lot better, but there were still problems.

My brother had a horrible experience. He never learned phonics and we moved so much. He was eventually labeled LD. He had zero self-confidence in himself. When he was in high school, he was put in an LD math class. They used the exact same textbook all four years. Never advanced. He hated school.

This is why I want to hs my son, especially right now. He's so delayed in speech, but sooo smart otherwise, I don't want him placed in a class where there will be so little advancing.
Sasha; mama to
Erik (5) LHTH
Jacob (4) LHTH
Lucas (2)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jahayfamilyschool/

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:15 am

I know this is an old post, but I thought it a good one and since there are so many more newbies, I thought we could revive this to see what us newbies have experienced...hope you all don't mind. :wink:

I attended public school K-12. I was an extremely SHY child and moving a lot in K-6 did not help at all. I was very bright but not a straight A student. Nearly all of my teachers loved me (not meant to be a pat on my back- they had my troublemaker brother the year before me and they were thankful I wasn't like him!) I loved elementary.

I even loved junior high. I know I know.....I'm abnormal. I think I loved junior high because even though I did not hang with the popular kids, I was a friend to just about everyone (by this time I had majorly come out of my shell to be an extrovert). Plus they finally started putting me in advanced classes which I enjoyed.

Then high school hit. The first couple of years I liked it but by my junior year I was very apathetic. My parents got a divorce and my mother remarried shortly thereafter. I was a mess. I decided I didn't care anymore. I just wanted out of there. The classes were subpar and the kids were more concerned about who was sleeping with who and who ran with what gang. I can't tell you the number of times I had front row seats to some severe beatings and my brother being arrested at school. I was one of nearly 500 kids in my class alone (2000 in the entire high school). I took Co-Op my senior year and worked mornings in a preschool. That was how I survived my last year.

When we had kids we just assumed we'd send them to public school because what other alternative was there. Well I had felt God putting homeschooling on my heart so I started researching.I was amazed. Finally my hubby was convinced. After a late night talk about each of our own public school experiences, he realized the value of homeschool. He never finished high school but did get his GED.

We want more for our children. And like someone else mentioned, I do believe that we have been called to do this. Anyway, that's my story.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Marty D

Post by Marty D » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks for this post. It is very interesting, and I have enjoyed reading it. Here is my story.

Before I was school age my oldest brother came home from public school and told my mom and dad to shut up. When he was asked where he learned that, he told them that his teacher said it. They decided that they would not send him back to a public school in the fall. Unfortunately, before school started in the fall, my father died unexpectedly. My mother was suddenly a single parent, with no money and 4 kids. However, she decided that this was something she would not waver on. Even when she did not know where the money would come from, she sent us to Christian school. This dedication to trying to give us the best education in a Christian environment even though she had to sacrifice a lot, planted a seed in me to want more for my kids than public school could offer.

School was ok. My teachers, for the most part, were great. There were a few that I could tell horror stories about, but those were the exceptions :).
I was not popular, and I did not feel like I ever really fit in. But by the time I graduated, I had known most of the 19 people in my class most of our lives, and we were kind of like family. My education was better than that in a public school, and I was more prepared to go to college than some of my friends from the public school system.

By this point, I was in favor of Christian school although I knew that was not a perfect option. Then I started working in the public schools as an interpreter. Because of the type of work I did, I was in the hallways with the kids. I looked young (in fact, got mistaken for a student in middle school several times), and so I got a different perspective of schools. I was "in" school as an adult. The teachers were nice, but did not accept me on the same level as themselves, and the students would often forget that I was older than they were.

During that time, I became very burdened for our kids. I have worked in elementary, middle and high schools, and my eyes were opened. One of the reasons I hear about Christian parents sending their kids to public schools is to "be a light" to the others there. Over and over I saw that was not happening for the most part (I am not saying it never does). I could elaborate here, but I won't. That seed that was planted way back when my mom chose to do what she felt was best, began to grow. I still thought Christian school was the only option.

Finally, I began to see the homeschool movement. More and more people I came in contact with were choosing to keep their children at home. I thought back to my own school life, and the feelings that I battled, and I decided that should I ever get married and have kids, this was what I wanted.

Well, I did get married, and my husband was in agreement with the homeschooling option. My desire to homeschool grew as I got closer to having children. Then, when my first child arrived, I realized that God had this all planned long before I knew what was happening (as if that should surprise me). With my oldest sons special learning challenges, I have been assured that he would go to the EC classroom. He would be labeled, and he would be in trouble everyday. Here, at home, we have the ability to find what works for him (and each child for that matter) and we don't have to sit in one spot all day. He is testing well above grade level on most everything, and he is able to really focus on things that interest him. It is not always easy, but I know it is best. My children can be children, and most important, I can teach them to know and love God, and as they grow teach them why we believe the way we do.

There is a statistic that says that 8 out of 10 (or more by now) kids that grow up in the church will deny Christianity before they get out of college. I want my kids to defy that statistic. I want them to know why they believe, and I truly believe that the best way to do that, is to keep them home, and teach them....then when they leave, maybe the will truly be ready to be a light in a dark world.
Martha

Mom to 3 boys --Nathanael 8, Daniel 5, and Karsten 2

Amey

Post by Amey » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:15 am

My Grandparents paid for me to attend a rather expensive Chrsitian School in Dallas as my mother was 25 and divorced and they wanted me to have a Christian education. K was great, first grade I had a teacher who did not agree with me being in that school as my parents were divorced and made me feel like a second class citizen. I would hold back the tears during math drills and such I felt so dumb. I never raised my hand for fear of being made to feel stupid etc.

Finally Mom realized what was happening and took me out. She got married and we moved and I attended public school starting first grade over. I had a great teacher this time but my self esteem was so damaged and I thought I just "wasn't one of the smart kids".

Fifth grade found me seated behind a boy I had a crush on who hearbreakingly started calling me "Chunk". (I am a petite size 6) but I guess I was in that akward in-between stage right before puberty. Junior high was horrible as the clicks surfaced and suddenly you were "in" or "out". School was definately not about learning..it was a popularity contest and I was just lost in the middle of it all.

After losing an election for pep-club council and my best friend making it, she kicked me out of her locker and the friendship was over. I was determined to come back a "new me" for freshman year..I was done trying to fit in. I started wearing dark clothes and make-up and smoking..which found me new, very accepting friends who introduced me to LSD and pot. I felt more accepted than I ever had before..so sad.

I started to derail in highschool as my drug use took off and my parents moved me highschools four more times before I ended up at a very prestigious one (with a good reputation). It was a very wealthy school district and my parents thought a geographical change would cure a spiritual problem. Drugs weren't "in" at this school, but drinking was, so I jumped in full force. I didn't expect anything from myself academicaly other than to get through highschool. Since my school was a huge athletics school with a famous football program, the majority of teachers were coaches who really had no interest in teaching..but in coaching. I made a pact with my pre-algebra coach that I would rub his shoulders every day in class if he would pass me. yuck. Why this was never seen as wrong by other students..I have no idea. But, pass I did! My geometry teacher was the same thing..only I didn't rub his shoulders..he just "overlooked" the incorrect answers on my homework and tests and gave me a grade in the 80's regardless. He just wanted me out of there. By this time I was the girl with knee high combat boots, purple hair, tattoos, etc. YIKES. I was so lost.

So, I graduated by the skin of my teeth...and not even legitimately..( I never in truth passed those math classes) So when I went to take the SAT, yours truly could not do a single algebra problem. I passed the other areas quite well, but though I took it a few times could never pass. So, I spent three years in college in remedial math courses which I also could not pass...which meant I could not move on past my basic courses to continue my college education.

God broke into my life at age 21 in a huge way..(to bring it full circle) and now my husband I serve as missionaries in Mexico. But..I homeschool because I want my children to grow up with their hearts in tact, receive their approval from God and not man and to LOVE learning. I am an excellent writer, have always loved poetry, reading, English, etc. If I would have been encouraged in that direction instead of always trying to keep up in math, tutoring, staying after school etc. who knows what could have happened? Geesh..sorry this is so long!!
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:57 am

I had a really good school experience for the most part other than a couple of teachers that should not have been teaching. I graduated top of my class and had excellent math and history teachers almost my entire school life. I had several Christian teachers who were a great influence on me and were encouraging. I did see many things that went on with other students that if I can help it would rather my daughter not know about or experience at such a young age.

My husband however had a horrible school experience where he barely graduated and teacher's told him he wouldn't amount to anything. We even went to the same school! When he go in the Army he finally had instructors who believed in him and has finished first or second in all of his Army classes. He has also started taking college classes where he has made great grades. It has always made me wonder if just one of his teachers had been encouraging how much better he would have done in high school.

Our decision to homeschool was initially based on my husband's health and not having our daughter exposed to extra germs at school that could be brought home to my dh. (He has a very weak immune system due to a bone marrow transplant) However, the more we prayed and talked about it we feel like she will benefit so much more from homeschooling than ps for many different reasons.

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:55 pm

My school life growing up was really uneventful. I did good some years and did bad some years. The bad years were more in middle school and high school when I found the wrong friends. It wasn't until my Jr. year I found the good friends. I was just typical, IMO.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:02 pm

socially i loved school

academically i underachieved and was not pushed to do any better
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

MarciaA

Post by MarciaA » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Kelly wrote:I'm new around here, but I'll chime in!
I went to public schol K-12, made mostly A's, was on honor roll, etc.
When I became an adult I discovered that although I made such great grades in school I really was not "educated" the way I thought I was.
Oh, I passed tests with 100% most of the time, and then promptly forgot everything. I did well because I had such a good memory. My motivation was simply good grades, not learning. Now I having to relearn pretty much everything.
I do not want my kid to have this kind of school experience. It is not the #1 reason for homeschooling, but it is one reason. We may not cover everything the the school system does, but I hope what we do learn is meaningful and will be retained. I think a lot of time is wasted in regular school because of the temporary learning/test/forget mentality.
That is just my 2 cents!!!
I am happy to get the chance to learn along with my kids now.

Kelly

mom to ds-7
dd-6
ds-3
I haven't even read any other posts, so sorry if this duplicates, but all I can say it DITTO to this one! I was a perfect student, but knew nothing.
Homeschooling Mommy in NC to
Jackson, K
and one wild 1 year old, Carson

Mom2SHZC

Post by Mom2SHZC » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:40 am

hippiechyck wrote:socially i loved school

academically i underachieved and was not pushed to do any better
This was me too. My mom even said I loved school for the social life I got out of it. I went to a small Christian school K-12. I graduated 3rd in my class and looking back I know if I had applied myself I could have been 2nd or better.

My school experience has nothing to do with why we started homeschooling, but it does affect why we keep doing it. It also helps having family who do have children in ps, so I get to hear all the horror stories about things that happen and I know I could never in good conscience put my children in those situations.