New to HOD with PHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AwaitingHisReturn

New to HOD with PHFHG?

Post by AwaitingHisReturn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:16 am

Hi everyone,
Yeah! We have arrived. I spent the beginning of last year wanting to do HOD, but for financial reasons I was unable to buy it. This year our financial situation has not changed, but God has provided and I have PHFHG with the extensions. I have 4 boys and will have a 10yo and 8yo doing Preparing Hearts For His Glory. The 10yo will be doing the extensions and I was wondering how that works. Does he do the deluxe package assignments and the extension package or does the extension package replace the deluxe package? He has done most of the deluxe books, but he could revisit them or I could substitute with other books.

I am SOOOOOOO excited about starting this curriculum I have to discipline myself with finishing this years (which has also been a wonderful blessing).

I look forward to gleaning from you women who are putting the kingdom of God & His righteousness first. May you enjoy all that He adds.

Blessings,
Adrienne

my3sons

Re: New to HOD with PHFHG?

Post by my3sons » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:37 am

8smiths did an awesome job of answering your questions, and she is right that many ladies enjoy doing the extension package in different ways. Typically, the Extension Package would replace the Deluxe package in PHFHG. The Extension Package schedule is in the Appendix and a suggested rotation of response activities is included there as well. The Extension Package has a reading level of mid-fifth to upper seventh grade. It is intended to be read independently, so if a child is not a very strong reader, he'd be better placed in the Deluxe package. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 am

Hello and welcome to HOD and Preparing! My 3 boys are also doing Preparing this year! We LOVE it! Since my oldest 2 are 12 & 13 we do everything and they read the extensions on their own. Your boys will have so much fun in this program & I can't wait to hear your reports on it!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi!
I just wanted to jump in and say that at first glance HOD might not seem too difficult. BUT, after I received my PHFHG materials for my 10 yo last Sept., I was convinced that it was PLENTY hard and right at his 4th grade level and this has proved very true over the course of this school year. Especially since this was our first HOD school year. So...if your 10 yo is at a 4th grade level (or so) and an average student, I would recommend doing Preparing as in the guide without the extensions. But you know your ds the best so go with your gut on that! Just wanted to mention that I too, wasn't sure Preparing... would be challenging enough and after doing it this year I am sure it was the right choice for us.
God bless, Michelle :D
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

AwaitingHisReturn

Post by AwaitingHisReturn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Thank you ladies for your response. I will have him skip the books he has done in the deluxe package and do the the ones he hasn't in addition to the extension package. He LOVES reading and devours books.

Also thanks Julie for reminding me of the assignments for the extensions. I had missed that.

Blessings,
Adrienne

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Adrienne,

I just wanted to welcome you to the board and agree that we're glad you're here! :D We pray you'll enjoy PHFHG as much as we did when we did it with our second son in line last year! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie