Looking for great books for my 2yo.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
juliekay

Looking for great books for my 2yo.

Post by juliekay » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Good words, good pictures, inspring values in books for 2 year olds? Thanks!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

crlacey

Re: Looking for great books for my 2yo.

Post by crlacey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:40 am

I find that getting other homeschool catalogs has given us a great book list to choose from when we are looking for some great books to read for enjoyment. Of course as the kids get older Carrie has a booklist that she compiled which I understand is a great resource. For the 2-3 age, Sonlight has a list as well as WinterPromise and Before Five in a Row. My kids have always enjoyed the Dr. Suess books and the Little Golden books which can be found at many libraries.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:56 am

Some great books for littles (even my older 4 and 6 yr. old love them!) are the "My First Little House Books". They are adapted (usually line for line) from the original Laura Ingalls Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie and Farmer Boy books. They also have beautiful illustrations. They are a definate favorite in our house (or course everyone in my house is a little obssessed with all things Little House :lol: :roll: :oops: , you should see the kinds of Christmas presents my children got this year!)!

My 6yr old dd even uses them to practice her reading from.

Your local library should have some of them. We've gotten many from Goodwill and Salvation Army as well as Ebay. Here is the Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ttle+house+
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:18 pm

There's also a list in the book Honey for a Child's Heart. It was at our local library and I checked it out and wrote down many book titles to check out/find to read to my kids.
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

hobandrolly

Post by hobandrolly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:58 pm

I just bought God's Great Big Love for Me by Max Lucado for my 3 year old...it's very cute and suprisingly does a great job of explaining the Gospel. I'm normally not a huge fan of his writing, but this was a hit with my 3 year old. Also, First Virtues for Toddlers my Mary Manz Simon is super cute and a neat book to teach godly virtues. Have fun shopping!! ~Lynne
For 2012~2013 school year:
Gracie (5): Kindergarten
Maely (8): Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Annie/Lynnie (10): Creation to Christ
Second year with Heart of Dakota and loving it!

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi juliekay,

Here is a list of some we love:

Good Night Moon
Good night Gorilla
A Treasury of Curious George
Clifford Books
Miss Spider's New Car
Where's Spot?
Dear Zoo
Eric Carle books
Guess how Much I Love You?
Time for Bed By Fox
We're going on a Bear Hunt
Sandra Boynton Books
Brown Bear Brown bear
Hand Hand Fingers Thumb
The Foot Book
Mr. Brown Can Moo
The Napping House
Silly Sally
Little Engine That could
Go Dog Go
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes and Songs Izra Trapani
Any song books Peanut Butter Peanut Butter Jelly, Who Stole the Cookie?, Row Row Row your Boat, Hush Little Baby, Baby Beluga, Teddy Bears Picnic, Five Little Ducks, etc.
A Treasury of Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes
There's Something There! Three Bedtime Classics By Mercer Meyer
Robert McCloskey collection
Harry the Dirty Dog
If you give a Mouse a Cookie and others by Laura Numeroff
Madeline
Babar
The Baby Bebe Bird
Tacky the Penguin
Ziggy piggy and the three Little Pigs
P. Galdone Fairy Tale books
Snarlyhissapos
Ask Mr. Bear
Jamberry
Moonbear's pet
Owl Babies
Caps For Sale
Corduroy

One that is GREAT for Easter is Miss Fannie's New Hat. For boys or girls.

You have given me great book ideas before, so I know half of these (or more) you already know about. I thought I would just go ahead and list them from our home library. I have some time today. My dss are camping with Dad. Maybe others could use a good list :)

Can't have too many books,
:) Cindy
P.S. Edited to add a few I had forgotten :)
Last edited by 3musketeers on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm

I have a 2 year old that loves books and she surprises me with what interests her. Even though, my 2 yo is a girl, she loves Thomas. We have a board book of Thomas that she almost knows by heart. :lol: You can find differing levels of Thomas books at the library, etc. I like Thomas because someone is usually learning a lesson about something. :wink:
We also like the Carl books by Alexandra Day. There is a little text on the first and last page, but the pictures tell the rest of the story ( I usually talk through it as we read, commenting on the pix, etc.). It's really a sweet series just for young ones.
One more that my son enjoyed are the McDuff books by Rosemary Wells. They are about a sweet little puppy named Mc Duff. Sometimes if there is too much text on a page, I will paraphrase it or skip some to suit the attention span of my younger one.
My 2 yo dd is also very interested in animals. Last time we went I got a book that had different jungle animals in it, and she went for that every time we sat down to read. This time we got one called I Like Bugs, and she is going for that one now. :lol:
Try some different kinds of books (some great ones have already been suggested by others), and see which ones your daughter goes for again and again. That usually helps me to know how to pick out things that I think they will like the next time.

Hope this helps!

RuthAnn
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:44 pm

3musketeers wrote:You have given me great book ideas before, so I know half of these (or more) you already know about. :) Cindy
Too funny! :lol: Thank you so much for the great list! It's amazing how quickly you forget and how quickly my house can become inundated with "junk" books! I just need to take the time to sit down and weed out the junk and set up a little book basket or my little one! I SO needed your list! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you everyone!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

kvmck

Post by kvmck » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:11 pm

I certainly wouldn't call these books "inspiring" but my little one LOVES them, the "how do dinosaurs say good night... eat their food... clean their room... etc.. "series by Jane Yolen.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH