Math woes

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhomeschooling

Math woes

Post by happyhomeschooling » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi, I haven't posted here in a long while. DD has been doing great with BLHFHG! But we have been having
issues with math, thank you ahead of time for some insight.

We did Singapore math in K, but she excelled and got bored with it. So we switched to Rightstart math about half way through LHFHG. I had her do the workbook lessons in Singapore and the full lessons in RS. She has done pretty well using RS, but some of it is frustrating her and I am not sure why. Partly maybe because she excel's in every other area but
math and she does not want to work at it. I really like Singapore but like I stated it was not challenging her
enough, but with RS math it seems like it is challenging her to much. Any suggestions would be very greatly
appriciated for this homeschool mama is frustrated and feeling discouraged.
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Math woes

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 pm

Singapore K math is not entirely challenging, but gives a great foundation. As you get into Singapore Primary Math, it starts off basic, then it will get tough soon enough! In Singapore, kids begin 1A when they are about 7. There is NO need to rush through Singapore at all. It is a very challenging program. If you feel she needs more, just do the activities in the HOD guide and add in a Challenging Word Problems workbook. I totally believe that if you follow the HOD Singapore plans, you'll find that SM will be plenty challenging soon enough! The longer math is simple, the better!! You want her to feel success and love math, not dread it!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks, that is a good argument! I have been chewing on that and I think that I will go back to Singapore, and just
trust that it will fall into place soon enough. Thanks
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:24 am

My dd is also having no difficulties with Singapore Math at the moment. We just started the second K book. I am okay with that though!!! Not everything has to be hard or challenging all the time. I can also see where it is giving her a foundation in her thinking skills about math already. As a PP already mentioned, it WILL get hard soon enough. I guess I figure, I would rather her have a "good" memory and association with math starting out. That way when it DOES get harder, and I know that it will, she will have a better mindset to push through it... and so will I! :D So, I guess I would say stick it out with Singapore, and just let her cruise along for awhile.
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am

Please forgive me for beating a dead horse, I have some anxiety about math
as many do and just want to be sure of using the best program because I
desperately want my dd to not struggle with the same anxieties I did (and still do)
about math.

So I would like to ask one more question if you will forgive me for
needing more assurance. Is Singapore math something that you just trust in and
in the end it does its job? Like RS math seems so much more involved then
Singapore it is hard for me to see that the results will be the same. But I also
understand the concept of allowing dd to succeed, and get confidence. Not to mention
RS math concepts do seem a little advanced for her.

Just want to be confidant myself that the understanding will surely come
using Singapore, If I just trust it too.

Thanks and forgive my questioning of this. Just wanting to do the very best
I can for dd.
Blessings, Lesley

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:32 pm

I assure you, Singapore is a top program....one of the best! I have switched to a similar math program only b/c SM got too difficult for my dd who breezed through some at first. We just werent ready for the next level! She was/is only 8 and would have started 3A this year...it's rigorous! But it teaches the concepts well. And teaches kids how to think mathematically.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm

No need to feel bad about asking questions!!! We all have questions from time to time... that's why this forum exists!!! :-)

Anyway, I think to some degree, yes you just need to trust that Singapore will work. I'm not sure how old your dd is, BUT, I have heard many homeschoolers say that they do NO formal math program AT ALL until 2nd or 3rd grade, simply because early on, basic math concepts can be learned through life. Also, I have heard it said that anything that a child learns in K-2nd grade can easily be learned in just a few months in 3rd grade. SO... I figure at this point. Math should be fun, it should be hands on, and she should be able to relate it to her life somehow. I don't need her to memorize math facts or learn any abstract concepts at this point in time. There will be PLENTY of time for that later on.
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)