Working Mom

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
stephaniesherie

Working Mom

Post by stephaniesherie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Do any of you out there use HOD and also work inside the home? I teach piano three days a week. It doesn't sound like much, but it does take up a lot of time. Everyone tells me that home schooling doesn't take up nearly the amount of time I think it will.

lmercon

Re: Working Mom

Post by lmercon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:19 am

I work OUTSIDE the home every Thursday. My mom has been incredibly gracious and loves to do school with my ds. So, at least the school work gets done that day. What makes it hard is the intensity of the work. I'm exhausted when I get home after the long day. I also have one less day in the week to get the things in the home that must be done and any errands or other responsibilities outside the home. It is hard some weeks, but I make it work. The additional income goes a long way in providing many of the "extras" that I want to have for my family. HOD is a fantastic program for a working mom because it is so easy to set up and implement. I feel very blessed to have something so easy and yet so fulfilling.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

kelli

Post by kelli » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:24 am

which program are you planning on using? that will help us help you think through the timing of your day.

SunshineKB

Post by SunshineKB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 am

I'll be interested to see the answers for this as well! I work at home doing transcription, so it will be interesting to see how I can juggle it :lol:

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Stephaniesherie,
I also teach piano - 4 days a week, 50+ students. I only have one child, 7 1/2 yr old boy working through BIGGER. In Previous years we completed LITTLE HANDS and BEYOND.
We homeschool in the mornings 8:30 - noon. I begin teaching at 3:30 pm until 7:00 pm and my son stays with me. I used to teach in my home, but now have the house next door available and I teach there.
HOD is the perfect match for us because there is no planning involved. 34 weeks of lesson plans in one well-planned book is perfect for working moms. I have several friends who are also working moms who find that on the days they are off from work it is easy to double some of the lessons, and not be overwhelmed.
Hope this helps!
Dorla

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 pm

I teach college reading classes two nights a week. HOD has been a HUGE blessing this year. We get started right after breakfast & everyone is dressed for the day. We're usually done by 11:30 a.m. in time for lunch. (We're using LHFHG & LHTH this year). I usually have time in the afternoon to catch up on e-mails, paperwork and housework. I know my children's schooling has NOT suffered this year even though I'm working. I never have to worry about not "having school" because I'm not prepared - I have no excuse with HOD! The prep is all done for me. :wink:

Another thing that helps me is cooking once a month - this saves a TON of time during weekday afternoons. I simply pull out sandwiches, soup or an entree to thaw in the fridge the night before and then warm it about 30 minutes before we eat. While it's warming I'll fix a salad/fruit to go with it. Makes my life so much easier and we aren't tempted to eat junk/fast food the evenings I teach!
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

stephaniesherie

Post by stephaniesherie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:44 am

Dorla wrote:Stephaniesherie,
I also teach piano - 4 days a week, 50+ students. I only have one child, 7 1/2 yr old boy working through BIGGER. In Previous years we completed LITTLE HANDS and BEYOND.
We homeschool in the mornings 8:30 - noon. I begin teaching at 3:30 pm until 7:00 pm and my son stays with me. I used to teach in my home, but now have the house next door available and I teach there.
HOD is the perfect match for us because there is no planning involved. 34 weeks of lesson plans in one well-planned book is perfect for working moms. I have several friends who are also working moms who find that on the days they are off from work it is easy to double some of the lessons, and not be overwhelmed.
Hope this helps!
Dorla
Thank you for the responses! I'm glad to see not everyone is all stay at home but we have variations...

Dorla - You give me hope! I teach 29 students 3 days per week. My son is 16 months right now. He goes to a daycare on the days I teach from 9:00am until my husband picks him up around 5pm. This gives me time to prep for lessons, run errands, etc. before the students come at noon.
I have started using our morning time, 7 - 9am, to do some slightly structured activities. He is still young, so it isn't anything fancy but I find that it's working. I am wondering if that same morning time would work to do Little Hearts when he turns two.

At what age was your child able to stay with you during your piano lessons?

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:47 am

He started staying with me when he was 5.
Why don't you email me? This thread might turn into a non-HOD topic! Plus I would like to ask you some piano related questions!
But I still would encourage you to keep looking into HOD for the future. It has truly blessed our homeschool and our lives.
Dorla
dorla@missdorla.com