Timesavers? Could we share our ideas for saving time?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Timesavers? Could we share our ideas for saving time?

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:34 pm

I think that Heart of Dakota's programs already save me a lot of time because of the plans that are already done for me. But, today the sun is shining, and it's a beautiful fall day in SD, and I'm just thinking that sharing any "timesavers" we have with one another might be a great thing to do, and might help me get my sons outdoors to play even more quickly!

I'll start with one... I let the kids play the first 45 min. of the day and set out everything I need for their homeschooling in piles, in order, along with books and materials, across the counter. This lets me just grab the next pile (or my children can) so we can keep things moving even when my darling little baby Emmett needs me. In fact, I hear Baby Emmett "calling" (or crying) for me now. Gotta go - but I'd love to hear your timesaving tips!

My3Sons
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:21 pm

I prepare everything we will be using for school the night before. I put book markers in each book so I can easily turn to the pages I need. I then put everything I will be using for the day in one pile, so all I have to do in the morning is grab the pile and go. It does not save a ton of time, but is does help me to feel more organized.

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:23 pm

I do the "piles" thing as well! I'm glad to hear others do it too. I make my "piles" the night before, I'm using LHFHG as a K program for my dd5 and a first grade for my twins ds6 and dd6 so I have about 4 different piles. I give them 30-45 min. in the morning after breakfast to dress, brush teeth and hair and make beds. Then they can play until I call. I also try to go ahead and make a snack ahead of time so that at 10ish when someone inevitably says 'I'm huuunnngryyy' it's ready. :wink:

LHFHG is so well organized that there's not a lot of down time! We love it!
Melanie

joyful jean

Post by joyful jean » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:33 pm

I also do the piles. I will usually read DS#1's math the night before so I look like I know what I am talking about :D I usually look over science too.

I also try to schedule suppers 2-4 weeks in advance so I don't even have to think about what is for supper.

Keeping a clean/organized school room is so important to me (not that it always gets done), it just makes everything go smoother when desks are clean, book shelves are neat, and everything is in its place.

I like to feel organized, then I can relax a little bit too and just have fun!
God Blesses Every Day, it is up to us to notice!

wife for almost 14 years to my best friend
ds #1 age 7 Second year using Beyond little hearts for His Glory
ds #2 age 5 Little Hearts for His Glory
also used Little Hands to Heaven

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:48 pm

Our studies have to be spread throughout the day because it is almost impossible to have a chunk of time carved out to complete everything in one sitting. The reasons being, my daughter is young so, her attention span is short and I also have a 7 month old.

To be more organized I use two bins. One contains all of the subjects that need to be completed and the other is for subjects once they have been completed. I leave the bins out where I can easily see them so, as I pass by them I can do a visual inventory of how much is left. When they are out in the open it serves as a reminder that I need to arrange some time for another study. The purpose obviously is to move all materials from one bin to the other. Of course, this does not always get done!

jamieswife

Post by jamieswife » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:29 pm

My biggest time saver is definitely the older children! My 15yo and 11yo can do any subject I need them to with the 5yo or 7yo. It also helps them see and feel how far they've come! I know some moms who don't utilize their older children and I think they are really missing out on some valuble help!!! If you've got 'em...use 'em!!! :P
-Crystal in Alaska (using BLHFHG)
Wife to James, mom to Cody, Megan, Luke, Jesse, baby Gideon-born straight into the arms of Jesus and now our little Molly girl!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:06 pm

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing. The 2 bins idea is right up my alley. I'm going to do that as soon as I find bins to fit in my cupboards. Once my kids get older, I will definitely take Candice's advice too! I do have my 7 year and almost 5 year old play with our 8 month old baby for 15 min. each too. That is very helpful to me!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie