Summer Reading

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HappyMama

Summer Reading

Post by HappyMama » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:34 pm

My oldest son is all set to finish up The Reading Lesson this June and I'd like to have him do some summer reading before starting with the Emerging Readers this fall. I'd like to have him read one of the Pathway Readers sine I've heard so many good things about these books, but I'm not sure which one. Maybe the 2nd Grade Busy Times one? Is anyone familiar with these? I can't really find any samples online and I'm just not sure how advanced they are. I'm open to other suggestions too! Thanks! :)

Busymomma1

Re: Summer Reading

Post by Busymomma1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Oh, I'd like to hear ideas on this, too. My ds 6 will finish TRL in the next couple of months or so. I'm thinking Cat in the Hat type books will be appropriate for a little while before attempting Emerging Readers, but would love some more suggestions.
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:41 pm

You can see samples of the Pathway Readers. I just bought grades 1 and 2. We are enjoying them very much. I will buy grade 3 at Convention in April. On that site, they are grouped as a set, but when you click on the year you want, you can scroll down through and find the readers. Click on it, and then click on the book to look through the book some.

We're also enjoyed the Rod and Staff readers from Grade 1 and 2, that you can find searching here. I've not seen any of their readers before grade 1 though.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks for the link! :) I didn't know that Rod & Staff used these readers as part of their curriculum.

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:03 pm

All 3 of my "big" boys really enjoyed any and all of the Billy & Blaze books by C.W. Anderson at this age/stage. Beautiful illustrations and a full picture every other page helped them feel very accomplished as they turned every page. Enjoy!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:16 pm

My ds was a good way into the emerging reader set before he could handle the 1st grade Pathway Readers with any kind of independence. I would say they are maybe a half-grade above grade level. But that's just a guess. They are very sweet! I would go ahead and start the emerging readers set. They really get quite hard as you go along. We started the emerging reader set at the beginning of Beyond and are still working through it halfway through Bigger. We had to take a loooong break and do more of the 1st step readers before he was ready to move on to the Nature Reader. That book took forever! I gave him several days for each assignment. His reading is now taking off and we are moving more quickly, but he never would have been able to to DITHOR this year. I guess it all depends on the reader.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm

lmercon wrote:My ds was a good way into the emerging reader set before he could handle the 1st grade Pathway Readers with any kind of independence. I would say they are maybe a half-grade above grade level. But that's just a guess. They are very sweet! I would go ahead and start the emerging readers set. They really get quite hard as you go along. We started the emerging reader set at the beginning of Beyond and are still working through it halfway through Bigger. We had to take a loooong break and do more of the 1st step readers before he was ready to move on to the Nature Reader. That book took forever! I gave him several days for each assignment. His reading is now taking off and we are moving more quickly, but he never would have been able to to DITHOR this year. I guess it all depends on the reader.
Laura
Thank you, this is very helpful!!

And I'll be sure to check out the Billy & Blaze books. :)

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:17 pm

My son was reading many of the "An I Can Read" books by Harper Collins Publishers. Those and lots of other readers like that from the library. He liked the Cat and the Hat books as well. It was only a few months and then we were right into the Emerging Reader's schedule. He was so proud when he finished his Beginner's Bible last week!

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

My ds loved the Blaze series as well! :D I actually had my ds read through The Early Reader Bible along with the Emerging Reader's Schedule and questions first. Then, we did The Beginner's Bible and the rest of the set. This extended the set so nicely, and gave him something to read earlier. He liked any of the Frog and Toad books (just be sure not to do the ones in the Emerging Reader's Schedule), same with Amelia Bedelia books. He read Henry and Mudge as well as the Bread and Jam for Frances, etc. books too. The beginning My First Little House Little House on the Prairie books and the Little Golden books were a hit too, as well as Dr. Seus, and the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, etc. series. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Thank you, that really does help! :)