Moving-what to to take (OT)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaBear23Cubs

Moving-what to to take (OT)

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Okay so we finished up the units I was working on with my daugher and son and it's all ready for packing up. I will have at least 6 weeks without the books. I will only get our book only if we are in a house. It can be up to four months until we get a house or we could get one right away. It's the joys of being married to the military. :)
Any others been there done that with wise words to give. One mom whose hubby served 22yrs and HS all her children (3 are now grown adults) told me to just pack it all and read the bible and explore our new home until we are settled. The I MUST DO SOMETHING in me wants to bring stuff.
My list
english and math for everyone
flash cards
math games
plain paper w/crayons and colored pencils.

While I would love to explore the area we won't have a car to get here and there so there will be time spent in the hotel until we get a home. Another option was to buy some fun workbooks like hidden pictures, word searches, crosswords and other fun workbooks until we get our stuff and still keep the math games and the books.

We are at a good stopping point on the units and don't want to stop and go every few days.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Tansy

Re: Moving-what to to take (OT)

Post by Tansy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:50 pm

My Hubby and I are Missionaries (but we serve at the main office in the USA). When we go on Manumission (fund raising) for 2-3 weeks at a time I have always taken the curriculum. Picture us moving every other day to a new location. Often the pastor only wants to meet with Husband, not wife and "2 Oh no I have to sit for 3 hours of boredom" children. But every church office was happy to let us use a quiet space to do school. You get major browning points too "Wow your a dedicated h/s mom!" Not to mention it keep the "bored-ems" away. Doing school fills time you would other wise have too (possibly) entertain them Now school did not always get done every day and it went much slower than I planned but the consistency really helped my kids. I've done HOD on a plane, a car but not a train... in the park, in the church, and in Wendys...

I did have to plan for it tho. I Photocopied the units we would be doing. I only took books we would be using. For each child I made a notebook. If we were only doing 4 pages from a book I either skipped it or photo copied the pages and put them in the child's notebook. I had to really organize it but I never had a problem in doing 3/4 school, science, art and geography are sometimes just not doable. I used an ipod for the music portion. Made up a pencil case with basic crayons pencil sharpener scissors and glue stick the kind that have holes and can be locked into the binder. I did make a small binder for myself and just dated stuff as we got it done.

HOD is extremely portable if you strip it down a bit and prepare ahead of time. I always managed to fit 3 weeks of school (2kids) in half of a fit under the seat carry on bag. So I bet you could plan out 6 weeks worth knowing you will end up doing it at half speed which will work out to be 12 weeks. So you can take lots of time out to explore your new surroundings and still keep your hand in with school if you don't get your books for 4 months. It took me about 6 hours to set up the 2 kids notebooks for 3 weeks for our last trip.

edited: for spelling
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm

I really can't help on your HOD as we're prayerfully still considering it. I'm just lurking trying to learn more as well.

Anyway, I thought of an idea that might be helpful. I am currently homeschooling outside my own home due to remodeling a one and only 1950's bathroom. I have this. It really holds a ton. It seems pricey, but it's worth it. It's easy to carry, but a little heavy with all my stuff in it. In the photo, there's numbers below it where you can see different views. Just a thought.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm bumping this to the topI think Mamabear wants to hear from more of you....
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:07 pm

well someone from the higer up answered my question about schooling or not. I just got home from the hospital, had emergancy surgery. All is well but have to take it easy for about a month and it just so happens it's gonna take a month for us to travel and settle.:) The schools books are packed up. Hubby took care of the movers/packers.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:37 am

I love it when God takes a hand in our lives, glad to hear you are safe. Have a great month off!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:21 am

MamaBear23Cubs,

We'll be thinking of you as your recover from your surgery and move. I pray the Lord will be near to you and surround you with peace in a stressful time.

This thread has wonderful suggestions for those who travel or have interim lodging for weeks at a time. Thanks for sharing, ladies!:D

Blessings,
Carrie