For veteran moms - Cursive

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Patience

For veteran moms - Cursive

Post by Patience » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 am

Hi ladies,

I'm so torn between Handwriting Without Tears and Cheerful Cursive. I wanted to do a regular slant cursive with my younger son, but like the fact that HWT has workbooks all the way through fifth grade. I don't want to use several workbooks with different styles. What do you all do to keep the cursive teaching going after Cheerful Cursive? And basically no matter what style you use, do they end up kind of doing their own thing anyway? My daughter's handwriting with HWT was beautiful, almost perfect. But now that she is writing more on her own, it is getting less consistent and she is trying out a slant style, which is ending up not as neat. Does this happen no matter what you use? It's so silly that I'm stressing over cursive.
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

water2wine

Re: For veteran moms - Cursive

Post by water2wine » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Uh cursive. :roll: First I must confess that I have flunked this subject many times. Anyway I will not go through everything I have tried however I will say this. I put my dd who has CP and is affected on her rt side so I think she is left handed only by default into Cheerful cursive a while ago. I began to notice that hers is the best cursive in the house :shock: so I recently ordered it for my three oldest children and they are going to do the entire program. Really have had a hard time finding a program that works. I guess the problem is I have horrible handwriting myself and so I tend not to teach it well either. Anyway this is open and go and it works. My youngest two will benefit from all my mistakes. :lol: They are doing Italics for manuscript and will do Cheerful Cursive for cursive.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Patience wrote:Hi ladies,

I'm so torn between Handwriting Without Tears and Cheerful Cursive. I wanted to do a regular slant cursive with my younger son, but like the fact that HWT has workbooks all the way through fifth grade. I don't want to use several workbooks with different styles. What do you all do to keep the cursive teaching going after Cheerful Cursive? And basically no matter what style you use, do they end up kind of doing their own thing anyway? My daughter's handwriting with HWT was beautiful, almost perfect. But now that she is writing more on her own, it is getting less consistent and she is trying out a slant style, which is ending up not as neat. Does this happen no matter what you use? It's so silly that I'm stressing over cursive.
Well, back in the day when I taught ps they changed cursive programs several times, and Cheerful Cursive was different than those programs as well. So, I've had my fair share of handwriting programs to teach. Cheerful Cursive has been my favorite, most effective way to teach cursive to date. I have done nothing to teach cursive after doing Cheerful Cursive with BHFHG 2 years ago. Now, in CTC, my ds's cursive is still very nice, and he can switch between printing and cursive easily. His cursive is not perfect, but still up to my standards. I do think everyone ends up with their own cursive anyway. I taught 3rd. grade for many years (in our school district 3rd. grade is the year for teaching cursive), and when I moved up to 4th. grade to teach those same dc the next year, their cursive styles were all different after just one summer. :shock: So, I do think this happens to some degree no matter what you use, but I will say that Cheerful Cursive seems to be retained well. Oh, and we did A Reason for Handwriting K and A before doing Cheerful Cursive. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Patience

Post by Patience » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks ladies. I decided to go with Cheerful Cursive. :) My son tried a page and was just so, well, cheerful about it!
Mom to three

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:04 am

We just started Cheerful Cursive, and I like it much better than another workbook I had purchased. Good instruction on the strokes. I'm using the other book just for extra practice. So... I think you've made a good choice!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

Patience

Post by Patience » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53 pm

After 3 days of using this program, I wanted to say I am pleasantly surprised at how much my son likes this. He is very interested in the different characters and wants to me mark where each new character start. He really likes it! He is 7 1/2 and he is doing great with the writing. I have him practice in cornmeal before he writes in the workbook.
Mom to three

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 pm

That's great to hear! Good for your little guy - my ds enjoyed the characters too! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:52 pm

That's great to hear! My second son enjoyed it so much, and we only needed one trip through cursive before he was able to write in cursive for the coming years. This was a much difference scenario than the one we had with my oldest son (who never used Cheerful Cursive), where cursive was a source of heartache! :D

We pray it will make cursive cheerful at your house too. :D

Blessings,
carrie

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:26 pm

I am glad to have found this thread as my oldest will enter the world of cursive next year.
He has a hard enough time with printing! I appreciate everyone's evaluation of Cheerful Cursive.
I am looking forward to it now!

tiffanieh

Post by tiffanieh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:47 pm

We LOVE cheerful cursive!!!!! I am curious if there is any formal program we are to do after we complete it or are we just to practice it with his copywork, etc???
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

Patience

Post by Patience » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:37 pm

I continue to be VERY pleased with Cheerful Cursive. For next year, I am interested in a new program called American Cursive. I don't know if this will be a good fit for us or anyone else, but I hope it will be! There is not much info available, but I do know that it should be out sometime in March.
http://www.spencerian.com/
Mom to three

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:13 am

Ladies,

I'm so glad that you're getting a chance to use and enjoy Cheerful Cursive. :D The beauty of the Cheerful Cursive program is that it is designed to be a one year, all-inclusive introduction and practice of cursive handwriting. So, there is no need to use another program or workbook after it, because the kiddos are ready to write in cursive at that point for their schoolwork instead. :wink:

In Preparing Hearts we guide you in this endeavor, by assigning one short copywork assignment to be done each day in cursive. My second son in line used only Cheerful Cursive and progressed right into using cursive in his assignments the next year. We've heard the same to be true from many other moms who've used it too, which is a joy! Cursive shouldn't have to take years of workbooks to instill. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:16 am

We just did the 1 year of cursive with Cheerful Cursive too, and that was enough for my ds. :D It is such a fun program - so much better than the way I used to teach cursive back in ps. :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie