Good books for girls

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Busymomma1

Good books for girls

Post by Busymomma1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi ladies,
I'm wondering if any of you have some good book suggestions for my dd. She is an avid reader and we've enjoyed the ENTIRE Little House series, including the stories about Caroline, Rose, Charlotte, etc. (Actually, just 2 more to go with Martha, then done). Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you could suggest books and series of books that she may enjoy. She's read her LH books too many times to count, has read tons of Boxcar Children, and re-reads books from DITHOR many times (like "Toliver's Secret", "Helen Keller", "Caddie Woodlawn", etc.) I would put her "comfort" reading level at the 4th to 5th grade grade. Anyway, I'd like to just hand her some books to read for fun, but I don't want to dip into the HOD reading lists! I want to "save" those books for when the guides call for them. And I don't necessarily want her to be wasting time on fluff. She loves American History, but I've been a little hesitant on the Dear America (I think) series, b/c I read one and it seemed to glorify deception and lying. Not 100% sure about American Girls... I went ahead and let her read, but still need to check them out myself. It's tough to know what's good without reading it 1st! Or... getting recommendations, which I'm hoping you ladies can give! I'm still wanting to shield her from the darker side of things and characters that glorify sin. I figure when she's older and more discerning, she'll be better able to analyze those issues, but for now... keeping it "innocent", I guess. (BTW, love how DITHOR helps kids discuss and learn about such character issues in the books. Good prep for the future!)

So anyway, I'm wondering if there are some good series any of you would recommend. As I mentioned, she loves history, mysteries, etc. As a family, we are reading The Chronicles of Narnia, and she enjoys listening to that, too. Really, she just enjoys books! So if you can point me in a great direction besides the HOD booklist, that would be great!

Thanks!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

John'smom

Re: Good books for girls

Post by John'smom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm new to the boards, so I'm not positive if some of these are on the DITHOR or not. :? You could check here for some ideas. I have not read all of these, but my in-laws have a Christian school and I've seen some if the following on their shelves and their curriculum is not BJU. Check out: On Yonder Mountain (we did read this one)
Captive Treasure
Carolina's Courage
Pelts & Promises
Sarah Whitcher's Story

One series that we've read aloud is The Moody Family Series. There is nothing questionable in them and they are about a homeschool family as well. They are written by a homeschool graduate and my dc loved them!!!

Not sure of the reading level on these, but I've heard lots of good things about the Elsie Dinsmore Series. Again I haven't read them yet.

Hopefully you can find something.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Elsie Dinsmore?

What about the Marguerite Henry horse books, Misty of Chincoteague, etc.

Does it have to be a series? If not, the reading list from DITHOR is great because there are so many options you will only use a few for the actual program and can use the rest as fun and "safe" reading. My dd is in 4th grade and she has loved last year and this year: Island of the Blue Dolphins, Mandy, Year of Miss Agnes, Baby Island, biographies about Pocahontas and Amelia Earhart, all the EB White books like Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Roald Dahl books - James and the Giant Peach and others, Noel Streatfield books - The Ballet Shoes and Magic Summer, Sarah Plain and Tall, The Doll People books, fantasy books like Catwings and Cricket in Times Square and Borrowers. She'd probably like all the Nesbit books too like Five Children and It. Secret Garden. Mixed Up Files of Mr.s Basil E. Frankenweiler. The Wizard of Oz series by Baum. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.

I have a huge running list that I keep with me to take to the library. FWIW I like the American Girl books and the Dear America diaries. I didn't notice what you mentioned and my dd LOVES American Girl, especially Kit and Felicity, but they are too easy for her now.

If I were you I'd identify which ones you want to do as part of DITHOR and all the rest are fair game for free reading!

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks ladies! The books certainly don't have to be a series! While we've already read many of those suggested (like EB White's books, Catwings, Misty, Cricket in Times Square, etc), you are right. We should probably just pick some that we won't use for DITHOR or aren't in the guides for history. And I was thinking that for the Dear America series, I should probably try again. Perhaps the one I read was out of character for most. I forget which one it was.

Also, I'm still reading aloud to my dd and her 2 younger brothers in Beyond, so that "eats up" some of the possibilities, too! But I suppose they become one more book she can re-read on her own.

So... I'd better get to planning! Thanks for the suggestions! This board is so helpful!
Anyone have more suggestions? :P
Tricia
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

kvmck

Post by kvmck » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:11 pm

These are some we like--
Heidi and other books by the same author (we make sure we get an unabridged copy that keeps God in the story)
The Kathleen Mckenzie series (by Tracy Leininger Craven)
We also have the original Elsie Dinsmore books but I'll wait until my dd is older to read those.
The wide, wide world by Susan Warner, not sure about the reading level
Trailblazer books by Dave and Neta Jackson
Daughers of the Faith series (Shadow of His Hand by Wendy Lawton...)
The Little Maid Historical books (A little maid of Massachusetts Colony... Alice Turner Curtis)
We also have some American Girl mystery books that we haven't read yet so I don't know if they are any good
My daugher is reading the Rebecca AG books right now and likes them. We don't read all of the AG books and I haven't liked the Dear America series, but those are mostly personal reading decisions.
Charlotte Yonge books
and Nancy Drew books, especially if you can find the unabridged originals
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Mother Carey's Chickens by Kate Douglas Wiggin
We like to go to used books stores and just browse, we have found some wonderful treasures that way!
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Echoing votes for many that have been already mentioned, such as Trailblazer series, books by Noel Streatfield, etc.
For light reading my girls enjoy the Rachel Yoder series- they find Amish life fascinating.
How about the book Honey for a Child's Heart? I have that, but I'm also itching to order Read for the Heart from Whole Heart Ministries (by Sarah Clarkson).
Oooooh, I know what else...anything by Patricia St. John!
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

RachelB

Post by RachelB » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:16 am

My dd loves to read as well, so I appreciate all the suggestions shared! One series that I haven't seen mentioned that we enjoy is the Betsy, Tacey, Tib series. I don't think they're currently published, but should be easily found at the library! I also loved the Trixie Belden mystery books as a girl, more so than Nancy Drew. :D
Rachel

mommy to
Kailee - 12
Gracie - 8
Kaden - 7
Mollie - 3
Brynlee - 5 months

2 ^^ in heaven
happily married to Brian for 12 years

2014- 2015 - Using RevtoRev, Preparing, Beyond & maybe LHTH!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 am

Sisters in Time are a really good series. My dd has also really enjoyed the Elsie Dinsmore series as well. Also the Mandy series are history mystery and my dd is really enjoying those. There is some very innocent crush type things but it is all kept in godly terms and the focus of the book. I am pretty strict on not having romance so this was something I was looking at with them. We are a courtship focused family and they seem fine to me but everyone has to judge on their own. That is all that is coming to mind for me other than things already listed. HTH :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks! I'm taking notes and hoping I can find these at the library. Our libraries are great here, and we can get most titles. I'm not sure about some of the BJU stuff, but it's worth checking! I've gotten some Answers in Genesis stuff from our library, which I was surprised!

Have a good day!
Tricia
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 pm

My almost 10 yr old daughter (Jan. 20 birthday) just discovered two series this fall: Animal Ark and Vet Volunteers. She loves them! They're fairly short chapter books which she can easily read in a day or two. You may want to try those. :wink: She also enjoys Dolphin Diaries which she would get from the library, and the Junie B. Jones books...I think those are a lower reading level but she still really enjoyed them and they were an easy, quick read.

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:03 pm

InHisTiming,
Vet Volunteers???? That is SOOOO up my dd's alley! I've got to find that! Thanks! :D
Tricia
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Tricia,

We found them at Barnes and Noble. I had asked for the Animal Ark ones but they were out, so the sales associate recommended Vet Volunteers. Hope dd enjoys them! :)