alternative story time books for LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
w_sulzer

alternative story time books for LHFHG

Post by w_sulzer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 am

Help...my daughter is bored with the Beatrix Potter books...ugh. I think they are great, and am disappointed as I was very excited about them.
So I looked at the next program books, especiallyt he girl interest set like Helen Keller and such, and she seemed VERY interested as I told her what some of the stories are about. Has anyone used these for LHFHG story times? Or does anyone have some suggestions on book lists for story time for her age that could replace the Beatrix potter books? I am sure I could spend much time researching and find something, but I thought I would ask this great board first :) Also, think a little girl who is all girl!!

Blessings
Wendy

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: alternative story time books for LHFHG

Post by Carrie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Wendy,

I'll just move this post over to the Main Board so that more moms will see it. All new posts begin on the Main Board. :D

As far as your question goes, the Beatrix Potter book is used at the very end of Little Hearts for His Glory and only lasts for about 12 days or so. So, I'd likely just recommend you read through them and let your daughter take from them what she may. The stories are so well-known that it's a good idea to be familiar with them anyway. They may grow on her, you never know! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Sorry to hear that your dd is not loving the Beatrix Potter books, maybe you could get the original Winnie-the-Pooh books, they are a lot of fun to read. My dd and I LOVE the Pooh books, we both end up cracking up, no matter how many times we read them. HTH

Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

joyfulness

Post by joyfulness » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:15 pm

Milly Molly Mandy is a fun book for girls (and boys) too. Also Little House on the Prairie series (though some of these are used in later guides so you might want to wait).

We are not to the Beatrix Potter book yet, but I amazed at how much all my children enjoy the Burgess books. I kinda thought it would be boring to have the same author books one after the next - but they love it. They bring me the ones we haven't read yet begging to read ahead.
Joy
Navy wife and mom of four:
Mr J (10), Mr M (8), Miss M (6) & Miss B (4)

w_sulzer

Post by w_sulzer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:46 pm

sorry, my mistake, but it is the Burgess books that she is having trouble with. I have been thinking of switching over to Little House books for our story time, and I will have to come up with thought provoking questions for her on my own :)

Wendy

rainbowmama

Post by rainbowmama » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:53 pm

My dd5 really loves The Boxcar Children and so do I. :mrgreen: There is a whole series of them. We've read the first book twice and are on the second one now. My daughter also enjoys Laura Engle Wilder's picture books like Little House in the Big Woods. I think these are more at her level. Hope this helps.

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:28 pm

Just wanted to put in a plug for Milly Molly Mandy as suggested previously. My ds5 and I read those stories about eight months ago, and we loved them!
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Wendy,

Ah! That makes more sense. :wink: I am not sure how long you have been reading the Thornton Burgess books, but before you replace them you may want to consider sticking with them awhile longer. The Burgess books do require a more seasoned listener and take some getting used to, however the skills that are developed by listening to harder books are ones your child will definitely need as he or she heads into Beyond. :D

Here is a link to a thread that may be of help to you as you ponder this. Make sure to read the thread all of the way to the end, as Dorla came back and updated it. :D viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126

Blessings,
Carrie

kamariden

Post by kamariden » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Okay, so I just read the thread Carrie linked to. We aren't starting LHFHG till January, but I have the Reddy Fox book already. Would it be alright to start reading it now and then read it again when we start officially? I'm just thinking if he has a hard time with some of the words the first time around, he'll get that much more out of it the second time.....only do you think that would bore him? Seems like at this age they love having stories repeated over and over...but usually they are shorter stories. Thoughts???
Happily Married to Luke since 2001
Ethan - doing LHFHG part time, will begin BLHFHG fulltime Jan. 2012
Quintin - doing part time LHTH.
Liam - studying the art of annoying his brothers and taking out anything that has been put away. (toddler)