Switching gears midyear

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
8arrows

Switching gears midyear

Post by 8arrows » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 pm

We are most likely switching all three middle children to Preparing. I thought about this originally. It is not that we do not like what we are doing, rather that we do! My 6th grader is doing CTC and the 2nd and 3rd graders are doing Bigger. I miss having them together and my brain is struggling to wrap itself around different time periods. I used to think up extra things to do and quiz the children during the day. We would also quiz Dad at night. I don't want to combine them in Bigger as my daughter has read most of the material. Also the second and third grader have made big enough leaps to test into Preparing. My daughter is very agreeable to this and is willing to listen to the material in CTC again next year. Review never hurts, right?! The first day that we did a modified version of combining they played together all day, which they have not been doing. My plan is do Preparing 5 days a week as I like a more structured fifth day anyway. We will take what we don't finish into the beginning of next year and then start CTC. Am I crazy? My daughter is in week 13 and the boys are ready for 10 of their current programs. If I switch I want to do it now as I will keep them together all the way through. When my daughter is old enough for high school I will just add to the program for her. I don't think both programs would be a problem if I didn't have two high schoolers above them (keeping up with all their math, science and literature) and three little ones below them. LHTH is going well--no changes there. I would rather switch now (and have a little repetition for the oldest) than always regret that I didn't. I just didn't want anyone to be confused if my posts seem to change programs midstream this year. I will miss those CTC notebooking pages!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

yayadaisy

Re: Switching gears midyear

Post by yayadaisy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 am

I am going to be doing the same thing in a way. I am just now switching my oldest two into Bigger I think! If your daughter is willing to review some next year I don't think it would hurt and if everyone is a go I think it is a good idea. Seeing your children play together is just a wonderful thing and I remember when they were in ps it didn't happen much and they did not get along as well then either. It sounds like you have really thought about this. Good luck !!!!

Sheila mom to six wonderful kids

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:51 pm

8arrows - I think you know your dc best, their needs, and your goals, and it sounds like you've thought this through long and hard. I think you've covered your bases by making sure that your youngers are ready for PHFHG, and that your older understands there will be some repeating of CTC when she gets there. You'll probably have to adjust some things for your second grader in PHFHG, and I'm assuming your dc will be doing different levels of LA and math - you have the BHFHG guide already, so this shouldn't be difficult. But otherwise, you probably just needed to do them separate first to come to the conclusion that you really do want to combine these age levels and that this may be the best scenario for that grouping of dc in your family. We are doing CTC's 4 day plan 5 days a week due to liking the structure too, and because it fits better with my dh's work schedule, his traveling, and mine. I'm sure this will work fine for you to do with PHFHG too. I wish you all the best with this, and no, I don't think it's too late for a change if that is your heart's desire. I have the utmost respect for you and know you know what will work the very best in your home. Thanks for sharing, and I will pray for it to go wonderfully well! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:33 pm

Would you consider dropping your dd to Bigger with extensions? We did Bigger last year with ds 12; ds 11; ds 7 and enjoyed it very much.
Here's more to my thought. This year we moved to Preparing and we LOVE it!! However, the first 10 weeks have been a bit of a struggle with my 8 y.o. We're doing fine - now that I slowed his pace down in the Independent Science and History and cut out any writing in Bible and Poetry..... So, if I understand correctly that you have a 2nd and 3rd grade boy I agree that the History reading, story and research is wonderful and will not be too much for them. However, the writing, drawing and reading may need to be re-designed for them. All that being said I sure do like that we are all together in the same time period. In fact, when I read your post it makes me a little nervous for next year as my older 2 will do RTR and my 8 y.o. will be doing Bigger. I'm still wondering what I should do with the youngest 2 next year!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:51 am

Would you consider dropping your dd to Bigger with extensions?
Hi 8arrows,
My thought is similar to juliekay. We are doing Bigger now and the extensions would be very full for a 6th grader. Then adding in written narration and notebooking for your older one you would be set. You then would have all extensions planned for you as you move ahead. Your older would have a year off from CTC materials before revisiting that.I too think your 2nd and 3rd grader may struggle. With adjusting they may be ok in Preparing now, but as you continue it will be more and more of a struggle with more adjusting (extra work for you). Oh I have a new idea :idea: . Does your older one know enough about US history to drop CTC and just join 2nd and 3rd grader in Bigger with extensions right where they are now? You could give your older a quick cliff note catch up from mom on events dc doesn't remember.Then finish the year with all in Bigger and start Preparing with all next year. Then only one child is adjusting. I'm trying to think of ideas that will be easier for you and dc in the long run.

I am all for combining where you can. I have also changed gears mid year and say if it's what you and dc need, " Go for it." I agree with Julie that you know your family's needs best. You will figure out what works best for your situation.

Blessings,
Cindy
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:43 pm

8arrows,

I think you are so right in evaluating what you have on your plate right now and finding the best fit time wise overall for your family. Since you do have 8arrows and are in the midst of an intensive curriculum year with the Quine curriculum for your oldest high schoolers, it is so important to look at the amount of time you have available in your day and weigh how best to use that time. As parents of multiple kiddos, your teaching time is at a premium and when you are also rocking a 6 month old, watching toddlers, and teaching a child to read, the time slips away quickly in the day. :D

Even though your kiddos may not be at the perfect age to combine within a program, I am sure you already know that all combining scenarios require some adjustment. So, in weighing what the needs of your family are, you will just know going in that the scenario you are proposing will require some adjusting for your younger child in the written work department. Or, if you have your older child instead downsize to Bigger Hearts, the program will require some additional beefing up. You will need to see which fits your overall needs best. :wink:

The beauty of HOD is that you CAN make this transition mid year without causing backward motion, and if needed you can re evaluate and reshuffle next year too. I find that each year the childrens´ needs and our situation changes and my master plan must be one of structured flexibility. If you need to discuss some fine tuning of your thoughts, we can help throw out options too. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:48 pm

On a sidenote, Preparing Hearts is a wonderful progam. :D I pray you will enjoy it as much as we did last year! :D Often as moms we need to try out a scenario to be able to figure out what really fits us best for the year we are in. I pray you will find the fit you are seeking.

Blessings,
Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Thank you all for your kind replies. Carrie, you really hit the nail on the head with where my time is going. We started with week two of Preparing since I don't have Grandpa's Box yet (and my kids are very familiar with Genesis). Looking that week over, it looks like an easy week to sneak in over Christmas vacation anyway. I am pleased with how the week is going. It does appear to lighten my load. It also keeps the boys busy longer. Trust me this is a good thing! All of them want to read the independent readers. The third grader is reading the front part of the extension reader, Wooly Mammoth, and Elaine is reading all of it. Everyone likes the Draw Write Now book, even the copywork. Even the summary went well. The youngest dictated to me and then copied it. The older two did their own. Everyone seems happy. The third grader said it was his favorite part. The boys barely seemed to notice anything is different (don't laugh). Yes, Julie, Elaine is still doing Rod and Staff English 6 and TT7. Maybe this will give me time to start DITHOR with her after Christmas. Next year I am planning on additionally using Rainbow Science with her so repeating the zoology book won't be a big deal (I won't make her redo the science notebook), and she can join us for the second half. Cindy and Julie Kay, Elaine has just read too many of the extension books as well or I would consider all three in Bigger. Also, my husband likes the Preparing idea. He thought the year we did A Child's History with the two oldest (high school now) was one of our best years ever. And now I will have more Biblical content. I have spent too many hours thinking this over! Separating seemed like the best scenerio, and still does in some ways to my husband and I, but I just can't do that right now, not does it seem best. And yes, Shelia, I am enjoying having the children playing together more.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:41 am

8arrows,
I know you must feel a since of peace and relief now that you made your decision and you've started off with it. I always feel that way when I have been considering a big change. Too bad there is no smiley for "BIG sigh of relief." It sounds like your kiddos are transitioning smoothly and they are enjoying what they are learning in Preparing. I think you will be glad that you combined. It sounds like this way you will be accomplishing more of the goals you have for your dc. Our Lord is leading you right where you need to be. I will be looking forward to all your Preparing fun. We will be starting it in the fall.

Blessings,
Cindy
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:12 pm

8arrows,

Thanks for sharing an update. It sounds like your transition is going well, and your kiddos are already settling into Preparing Hearts. I pray you will enjoy your year and find it strikes the balance of mom time needed for this year. :D The beauty of moving from one HOD guide to another is that the skills feel somewhat familiar and the routine is not a shock. :D The more years our own kiddos go through our guides, the easier transitions become at our houe from one year to the next. We pray the same will be true for you. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Well, it's great to hear that you have happily made you decision! We just LOVE Preparing! I know your family will too! Have fun!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 am

8arrows - I'm so glad the transition is going smoothly. I think you'll really enjoy going through Grandpa's Box along with CHOW. I'd read CHOW to my oldest when he was younger, and when we went through it again years later with Grandpa's Box and PHFHG, it seemed so much fuller to me. We really enjoyed the pairing. I've been praying this will go well for you, and I'm so happy to hear it is! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie