If DD is doing poorly w spelling, should I use dictation?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lovetobehome

If DD is doing poorly w spelling, should I use dictation?

Post by lovetobehome » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 am

We are 10 weeks into Bigger, andmy DD is notdoing well with spelling lists...andmy space baronmy computer is shot...LOL!
Is itbettertousedictation forawhile? THANKS!!
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

inHistiming

Re: If DD is doing poorly w spelling, should I use dictation?

Post by inHistiming » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:37 am

If I understand correctly dictation is actually a little more difficult than the lists, so I don't think that would be the way to go. Maybe you could stick with the list but slow down, doing only half the words? Even if you do that you could still move on to the next guide next year and finish your spelling lists before moving into the dictation in Preparing... We are trying dictation, but if my dd doesn't do well we will probably go back to the spelling lists for a while, and she's in 4th doing Preparing... (we just started the guide). I really want her to be on the 'right level', but I have to go with what she is capable of doing. I hope that helps, and I'm sure others will chime in too. :wink:

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 pm

This is just my 2 Cents...as I claim no knowledge of anything at this time!!

But my dd9 did HORRIBLE with lists...not that she couldn't memorize how to spell for the test, but it never carried over into anything...so somehow her brain is geared toward dictation bc she does GREAT at it...and by great, I don't mean she gets them right all the time...we have to work at them, but I see that it is carrying over into her everyday writing...for her dictation is a great tool I probably never would have done without HOD (Thanks Carrie!)....and yet it is the "key" if you will, to help my oldest with her spelling...

again...just my 2 cents....
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi there! :D Dictation is harder than spelling, and the way spelling is done in HOD is a stepping stone for dictation. So, I'd continue doing the spelling, making sure to do the CM style lessons planned with them in the LA box of the guide. I know we probably all grew up doing spelling lists, by studying them and taking a test, but the way the plans are written in the HOD guide is totally different. It applies the idea of the mind being like a camera taking a "picture" of the word each time it sees it.

So, Day 1 always has them look at one word written in black on an index card. Study it, and when child says he is ready, take the card away and child writes just that one word on his marker board. If he misses it, right away, erase it and show him the card again (to erase that incorrect "picture" in his mind immediately), and when he says he is ready, take the card away until he writes it correctly. I'd be sure to only do List 1 with dd too - not List 2 - I know some moms who have done both lists at the same time - this not necessary unless that is something a family has as a personal goal for some reason. Then, Day 2's spelling has you just saying the word, using it in a sentence. The child tries to write the word from memory, but if they miss it, erase it immediately to erase the incorrect "picture" and show him the index card, allowing him to study it as he did on Day 1 and then write it. On Day 3, you only pick 3 words the child needs to practice the most. One word at a time, the child should use the word in a sentence orally, as you write the sentence on markerboard for them. Then, the child looks at the markerboard to copy the sentence on paper. You help the child correct any mistakes then. Finally, on Day 4, you say the word, use it in a sentence, and child tries to write it correctly. This time, if it is missed, erase it, and show the child the index card again. Have them fix it on their paper, and while looking at the index card, do the activity to review missed words (it rotates each week).

So, really, in all of this, there is not a time where the child is failing spelling because it's more of a team effort between parent and child to work on a method of spelling, rather than a child studying a list and taking a test at the end. I say all of this as much for other moms who may be new to this method of spelling, and may be thinking of spelling lists being done in the more traditional way. Finally, this method of spelling provides an important foundation for dictation the following year. You can see the using it in a sentence, copywork of sentences, studying a word and having it taken away then, fixing errors, etc. all prepare dc to do dictation the following year.

Keep plugging away with it :D - it will click when those inaccurate pictures of words are erased from a child's mind and are replaced with correct pictures because he has seen it correctly spelled so many times (hence the copywork part of it as well) rather than seeing it incorrectly so many times without it being erased. HTH - and rest assured, you are not alone in this. It took my ds a bit to get used to this, but it has paid off in dividends over time. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:09 pm

My son was struggling at the beginning, also. We started doing Spelling every day. We do the assigned activities and I add simple oral review (say, spell, say) at least once more during the day. Here's a fun free site where you can enter the spelling words and play all kinds of online games & activities.

http://www.spellingcity.com/
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:38 pm

lovetobehome,

I just wanted to clarify whether your daughter is using the spelling lists from Bigger Hearts or whether you are using a different spelling program with her? If your daughter is doing the spellings lists from Bigger Hearts, then the suggestions the ladies gave you are great! However, if your daughter is using a different spelling program, of a higher level than the spelling list in Bigger Hearts and spelling is not going well for her, you may wish to try the dictation that is in Bigger Hearts instead. Dictation is a slow burn, so you will want to give it at least a year before judging the method, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the end of that time. I know I was! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:33 am

Hey that spellingcity site is great! and it is free!