Suggestions for books on tape or Cd?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
playschool

Suggestions for books on tape or Cd?

Post by playschool » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:19 am

My dd (6th grade) is really loving listening to the Secret Garden on tape. This is probably the first time she really has listened to a chapter book on audio. Do you have any suggestions for other books a girl of her age might enjoy listening to that may be on CD or tape? (Ironically, she doesn't really enjoy reading herself, although she is still is made to read for school and other things. My son, on the other hand, does not like to listen to books read, but rather enjoys reading things himself.)

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for books on tape or Cd?

Post by Carrie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:01 pm

playschool,

How fun! I love to see my boys get excited about audiobooks. They can be wonderful. Some of the more girl-oriented Blackstone Audios that may be worth a try for your daughter include the following:

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates
What Katy Did?
Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
Heidi
A Little Princess
Little Women
Pollyanna
The Railway Children
Calico Captive

Other audio books that are available from other sources that your daughter may like include the following:

Any of the Little House on the Prairie audios (which are very well-done)
Caddie Woodlawn
Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink
Ballet Shoes by Streatfield
Misty of Chincoteague or any books by Marguerite Henry
By the Great Horn Spoon
King of the Wind
Trumpet of the Swan
Understood Betsy
Emily's Runaway Imagination (one chapter includes a bad dream that should likely be skipped)
Come On, Seabiscuit
Indian in the Cupboard
Rascal
The Saturdays

Of course, you'll want to read a bit about each of these to see if they fit your family's goals for reading, but we have enjoyed these.

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi Playschool! :D We've found some good titles at Blackstone Audio for children, and also on Amazon. We've done a lot of the classics, like Peter Pan, Bambi, Robin Hood, The Little House on the Prairie series. Some other titles we've done are... the "My Father's Dragon" series (3 books), An Ordinary Princess, Gone Away Lake, Return to Gone Away Lake, Come On Sea Biscuit!, Winnie the Pooh compilation, Mr. Revere and I, 5 Children and It, Five Little Peppers, By The Great Horn Spoon, Rascal, Just So Stories, Chronicles of Narnia Radio Theatre (by Focus on the Family), The Saturdays, and Heidi. My ds is really into the Kingdom Series by Chuck Black right now, and the audio CD's of these are wonderful as well if your dd likes knights, castles, spiritual warfare. HTH! Have fun picking - you can find a bunch used on Amazon, but just be careful they aren't the abridged versions or they won't match the book the child follows along with (which is what increases vocabulary and comprehension, a nice side benefit to them listening to audio books :D ).

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

playschool

Post by playschool » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Thank you Julie and Carrie! I will check those sources out. I could read her some books, but after reading for school and to my other children, my voice tires so easily and I become hoarse very quickly. The lady who reads for Secret Garden does an awesome job really speaking in the Yorkshire brogue and using an English accent when necessary. It really makes the story come to life.

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 pm

My kids, even down to my 4 year old, love books on CD. Thanks for the ideas!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:08 am

playschool wrote:... I could read her some books, but after reading for school and to my other children, my voice tires so easily and I become hoarse very quickly. The lady who reads for Secret Garden does an awesome job really speaking in the Yorkshire brogue and using an English accent when necessary...
My sentiments exactly! :D I reserve my reading voice and time for the HOD books and put my heart into those. The professionals do it better than me for the rest. :lol: Other than, we usually read a chapter of the Bible at night as a family.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:09 pm

My DD9...has really enjoyed the All of Kind Family series.
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....