Spelling in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jg_puppy

Spelling in Bigger

Post by jg_puppy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:37 pm

I think my dd is probably between Bigger and Preparing. Spelling is an area that she needs work so I am trying to get as much information as I can about these two programs. I have looked at the scope and sequence of the spelling program in Bigger and I am still not sure if that is the right level for my dd. I would love to see a sample list and a sample of the dictation sentences not the whole year just a few words.

Here are some of the words she is learning in the program we are using right now- fish, there, doll, train, kind. She can easily write about four really short sentences from dictation.

Jan

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi Jan,

My family is watching a "guy" movie so I would be glad to give you some examples :D

I'll share words from different weeks:

Week One
sled
best
next

Week 17
garden
farther
apart

Week 28
looked
stood
should
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:17 pm

I don't kow whether there is a complete list, but here are week 16's spelling words from Bigger:
thirty, chirp, birch, girls, twirl, thirst, skirt, dirty, hurt, their
Here are week 34's:
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, spring, summer, autumn, winter
If your child can spell everything in the spelling lists easily, the other option is to do the daily dictation passages for spelling instead-the Bigger manual says the spelling lists are typical 2nd grade, and that the dictation passages are for students who have mastered the words in the spelling lists-here is passage number 39:
Mary made a new hat. It was very big for her.
fade wade
Here is number 102 -the last one:
Fred takes a lesson on Monday and Friday. Do you take your lessons on those days?
bed led red bled sled
fed Ned wed fled shed
Maybe that gives you some idea. :)
Edit: Mary and I were posting at the same time! :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

jg_puppy

Post by jg_puppy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Thank you both so much. It looks like some of the words would be easy, but most of the words would be just the right level. The days of the week were on my list of words for her to learn next year. This helps me a lot.

Jan