Questions for everyone interested

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Very fun topic! It's been great reading these! Here goes...

Favorite hobby:
Baking, singing, reading, scrapbooking (though in "scrapbooking world" my baby isn't born yet) :oops:

Favorite song:
I love anything by Casting Crowns or Mercy Me - we listen to KNWC all day. I also like country music.

Name 2 or 3 jobs you have had in the past:
Teacher (you name it, I've taught it! 2nd., 3rd., 4th., and 6th. grades,
and college classes over the years - so glad to be teaching my own dc
now!)
Movie Theater cashier (LOVED this - free popcorn, free pop, free movies...
ahhhhh, those were the days! :o)
Telemarketer - horrible job!

What do you like best about yourself:
I try to be an encourager. I love my children and family, and I am good at showing it (most of the time!). :wink:
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Good one, Candice! I am having so much fun reading these! OK...here goes...

Hobbies: does laundry count, that's how I spend most of my time!:lol: Gardening and canning/freezing my harvest, cooking and church work. I used to help a lot more with our cattle before kids and am doing more now that the kids are getting bigger.

Favorite song: anything by Allison Krauss...love Bluegrass!

Jobs from past: you have to go back about 20+ years to get to one beside being a first grade teacher, but I was a clerk in the Chancery Court for a few years. Oh, and the summer I worked in a bakery making donuts....not a good memory there.....couldn't eat donuts for a few years...

Candice...I can't believe you were a farrier! We have 8 horses and 1 pony and my kids love to watch the farrier work. It just goes against every mental picture I have of you in my head!! :D
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Great idea Candice! :D I'm enjoying "getting to know" everyone, too!

Favorite Hobby: 
In the winter - scrapbooking!
In the spring/summer/fall - running in the morning by myself and then walking, biking, swimming, anything outside with my kids!

Favorite song:Ooo, this is hard.  I don't know if I can pick a favorite...I'd probably say "Forever" by Chris Tomlin or "Blessed Be Your Name" by Matt Redman.  There are days in my house where I think we should sing Steve Green's "Do Everything Without Complaining" ALL day. :lol:

Jobs:
In college and Admissions Counselor
Then...I graduated w/Elementary Education degree, but had my 1st child that year.  I did some substitute teaching.
Piano Teacher

What do I like best about myself?
I don't know if I can think of an answer, but I can tell you that my favorite thing about God right now is His patience.
After some time to think...I usually have a positive attitude and my dh always says his favorite thing about me is my simle. :D And I can come up with ways to put difficult things to understand in words that others - especially kids - can grasp.
Last edited by Kathleen on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Favorite hobby:
Crafts, sewing, gun range

Favorite song:
I dont know. All I ever get to listen to is Lori Berkner. What's adult music sound like nowadays????

Secretary
Repo Department of car financing company (and did a few repos too!)
Receptionist at doctors office

Most everything :D

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:36 pm

joyfulheart wrote:
Favorite song:
I dont know. All I ever get to listen to is Lori Berkner. What's adult music sound like nowadays????
Oh..perfect..."I'm me, and you're you. I like red, you like blue." Everybody sing along... Who doesn't like Lori?!?
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:08 pm

What a wonderful idea for a thread! :D

Here are mine:

Favorite hobby: Writing curriculum and researching anything (Seriously, this is what I love to do in my free time. I even did it long before I homeschooled or had kiddos).

Favorite songs: Amazing Grace, I Can Only Imagine,
(Just for fun) Still the One by Clay Aiken

1. Elementary Teacher (11 years in grades 3,4,6 as a public school teacher and grade 2,5 and 7 for teacher training/and or summer school).
2. Receptionist at a medical clinic
3. Assistant at the university law library
4. Nurses Aide at a care center (and later a hospital)
5. Cashier at a movie theater (I still love movies today thanks to this job!)
Note: I could honestly go on and on.... some of my less than stellar jobs included making donuts at Casey's at 3 AM on the weekends and holding a sign on the road crew for a few weeks). My folks wanted their daughters to have a strong work ethic, so my sisters and I held down several jobs at once usually.

What do you like best about yourself: My no-nonsense approach to problem-solving. (This is also not always a positive quality when those sharing with me are NOT looking for a problem-solver, but are only looking for a listening ear. Still working on that one!). :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Candice

Post by Candice » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Melanie wrote: Candice...I can't believe you were a farrier! We have 8 horses and 1 pony and my kids love to watch the farrier work. It just goes against every mental picture I have of you in my head!! :D

That's probably a good thing!

I loved this job, I was in charge of keeping 30 mountain rental horses and ponies in shoes. You can imagine how quickly trail rental horses wore out those shoes! I lasted a year and realized the work was just too physically demanding.

I will try to dig up a picture so you have a better mental image, I hope!

Candice

P.S. I am so jealous you have horses!

Ronda

Here's mine:

Post by Ronda » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:24 pm

Favorite hobby: reading and computer

Favorite song: Untitled Hymn by Chris Rice

Name 2 or 3 jobs you have had in the past: cashier at Dunkin' Donuts, seamstress, secretary/bookkeeper

What do you like best about yourself: ?
Ronda
Married 26 years to one wonderful husband!
Mama to 5 great kids
22, 18, 11, 10, & 6

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:59 pm

GREAT thread!

Favorite hobby:
I love, love, love reading. I also love decorating and photography. (And in theory, I love scrapbooking. But that hobby might not take off again until my little guys are off to college. :lol: )

Favorite song:
I don't think I could ever pick just one. We have a great Christian radio station here so we hear a lot of different music all day long. Right now I'm trying to expose my boys to hymns more and "Be Still My Soul" is my favorite to be singing when I'm snuggling with them. But I also like Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman and country music - AND I have a special place in my heart for the 80's songs of my childhood. :wink:

Most recently until my oldest was born - software engineer. A couple of my summer jobs during college - Subway (that one made me realize that I did NOT want to go into a career that involved preparing food!) and Day Camp counselor for the YMCA.

Hmmm...I guess one of the things I would say is that I really try to always do what's right and not necessarily what's easy. But I must put the emphasis on "try". And when I succeed, it's only by the grace of God.
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

netpea

Re: Questions for everyone interested

Post by netpea » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:47 pm

Candice wrote:Favorite hobby:
Favorite song:
Hobby: Scrapbooking

Song: currently it's Open the Eyes of my Heart Lord. Also Wishing and Hoping by Annie Defranco

Jobs:
  • Aide at a camp for Handicapped / mentally challenged children and then Caretaker at a home for handicapped / challenged children
    Elder Care worker in peoples homes
    Cashier
    Environmental Engineer
Like about myself:
It's hard to discuss my attibutes, I think I'm a hard worker with a good heart. My MIL used to say I have the patience of JOB, but it doesn't seem that way to me. :D

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:51 pm

I love to answer, and read others' answers to these types of questions! :) Here goes.....

Favorite Hobby:
Reading-I can't stop reading it even I I remember half-way through that I already read it? :?
Singing, Cooking, Blogging, and Researching via the Internet

Favorite Song/Artist:
Aaron Shust, Casting Crowns, Craig Morgan (country), Rascal Flatts (country), and I LOVE the song I'll Fly Away, and want to sing it in my mom's church while my uncle plays the guitar or banjo.

Jobs:
Cashier at a grocery store
Assistant Manager of a children's clothing store, which I adored!
Bank Teller/CSR
Pre-K teacher assistant/After-care worker at a Christian school

What do I like (best) about myself:This is difficult... I like that I have a strong sense of right and wrong, and I'm trying to make sure that what I believe lines up with the Bible. This is also not something everyone necessarily loves about me! :wink: I especially like that I've been able to discern that it is God's will for me to be at home with my kids, HS'ing them, instead of out working and teaching others' children. I like that I can sing fairly well.

Nancy

Post by Nancy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Hmm...great topic! I'm going to have to start a thread like this over at my local homeschool group Yahoo site!

Favorite Hobbies: Besides loving books and being a curriculum "junkie"... I play softball (love those Detroit Tigers!), I play the flute, and scrapbook when I can...oh, I also lead our local homeschool mom support group over here.

Favorite song: I love classical...particularly Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven.

Jobs: Hard to remember what life was like before marriage and children, but I was a life guard and a day care worker while going to college to earn my degree in Psychology. :lol: I graduated 15 years ago and got married the same year.

Like about myself?? I'm ambidextrous, which is a big advantage to playing softball, but a hinderance to figuring out where I fit on the Olive/Betsy scale! :roll:
Nancy
Mom to 4
1 using LHTH
1 using Bigger

BlessedMommy

My Answers

Post by BlessedMommy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi. Its me blessedmommy....You know the one who didn't beat up her mail carrier....HA!! :lol:

Favorite hobby:
I love scrapbooking, and making cards.

Favorite song:
God of Wonders

Teacher (private school)
Nanny
Cashier

Hmmmm... A bunch of easy questions and then this one...

My openess... Yes, sometimes it gets me in trouble but without it I am not me.
Adrienne Kleeman
Wife to a WONDERFUL Hubby
Mommy to:
Avery - 8
Trenton - 6
Isabelle - 4

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:38 am

Favorite hobby:
I love to read. I will read anything-my mom's favorite story is how she sent me to my room as a child with a grocery bag to clean and she found me under the bed reading the grocery bag! :lol:

Favorite song:
Blessed Be Your Name by Tree 63, Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne, In The Garden (but it's best when sung by Johnny Cash) I will listen to anything but rap!

I'm an RN. I work in a hospital.
I was a dishwasher in a restuarant in high school, and I used to be a hair stylist before nursing school.

this has to be the hardest question! I guess I like that I am a greatful person. :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Darci,
I have to say I laughed when I read your musical taste, because it is so similar to mine! :lol: I LOVE Crazy Train! I love Johnny Cash! And I am in total agreement about rap! :P

Nice to meet you!
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/