Tell me about Drawn into the Heart of Reading

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Leanne

Tell me about Drawn into the Heart of Reading

Post by Leanne » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:07 pm

I'm curious about this program. Can someone tell me the 'purpose' of DITHOR? Is it comprehension?

I've just not seen anything like this before and I'm wondering about using it, but I'm also very hesitant to add anything else to our already full language arts program.

Thanks,
Leanne :)

pjdobro

Re: Tell me about Drawn into the Heart of Reading

Post by pjdobro » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:48 pm

Let me first say, that we haven't yet begun DITHOR. I went to a mini class that Carrie taught about it at the 2008 NCHE conference and had to get it. Not only does it teach comprehension, genres, and other things that reading programs are supposed to teach, it teaches character development. I don't mean literary character development. I mean the development of Godly character traits that I want my children to have. Here is a list of the program goals that is listed at the beginning of DITHOR:

-To make connections within the text and raise questions prior to reading, creating a purpose for reading as students seek answers to their questions.
-To develop higher-order thinking skills through analyzing the key elements that make a story work.
-To participate in literature discussions with people of various ages, in order to gain a deeper appreciation for the text.
-To weigh book characters and philosophical issues raised in the text using a a Christian standard that focuses on Godly qualities and values.
-To apply various vocabulary strategies in order to know how to discover the meaning to unfamiliar words in the text.
-To create a variety of projects that emphasize visual, auditory. and kinesthetic learning styles and demonstrate what was learned in the unit.
-To foster an appreciation for a variety of literary styles and inspire an enthusiasm for reading.

I am really impressed with how this program incorporates character training with literature. I'm looking forward to starting this in the next few months with my children. I know it's going to be a fun and fruitful journey! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Leanne

Post by Leanne » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks Patty, that is really encouraging. I'm going to take a closer look at it right now :)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:51 pm

I have enjoyed using DITHOR for many, many years and wrote a past post about my love for it at this link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4372&p=32131#p32131

It's hands-down the best thing I've ever used to fit these skills! I feel like it continues to take my ds to the next level in reading academically, while still keeping his passion alive for it and growing his heart for the Lord. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Leanne

Post by Leanne » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Are the readers in DITHOR meant to be read aloud by the child or silently? I'm just wondering if I need a set for each of my children or if they can take turns reading aloud.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:28 am

Leanne wrote:Are the readers in DITHOR meant to be read aloud by the child or silently? I'm just wondering if I need a set for each of my children or if they can take turns reading aloud.

Level 2/3 has the dc read out loud to the parent each day of the reading calendar. Level 4/5 has the dc read 3-4 pages out loud to the parent, and read the rest silently. I've found it important to make sure I have the right reading levels for each of my dc, so unless your dc are almost exactly the same reading level, I'd probably lean toward them having their own books. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie