can we brainstorm activites for 15 mo?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommyofgirls

can we brainstorm activites for 15 mo?

Post by mommyofgirls » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:18 am

i need some things to occupy my 15 mo. Keep in mind when responding to this post that she is 1...not 3 or even 2. There are many ideas circulating to entertain someone who is a true "toddler", but a 1 year old, as we all know, is a different story! We do phonics, etc during her nap...what I need are activites to keep her from stepping all over the books during our morning storytime. 15 minutes is all i really need...

any suggestions?
Wife to my wonderful husband for 8 years
dd5 - LHFHG, Abeka phonics, Horizons math
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

Daisy

Re: can we brainstorm activites for 15 mo?

Post by Daisy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:51 am

1. Trained to a playpen, a blanket, or her room?

I had special playpen toys that she only got to play with during that time. She'd happily sit in the playpen for 15 minutes. I transitioned this to a big blanket or her room once she was out of a crib/playpen.

2. High Chair with a snack

Reading during meal & snack times really helps. I still do this sometimes with my squirrely 7yo boy. Course he isn't in the high chair. LOL.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 am

One tip that I learned is to have special toys in a basket that can only be played with during that time you really need them to be engaged and no other time. They get it that it is special for them and they learn to take advantage of it. It can be all kinds of things including educational videos but it has to be in a special place where they know when you get it that means quiet time with toys. Just the first thing I can think of off the top of my head. I worked on the phone when I had ones that age and it worked for being able to have 30 -45 minutes of quiet time, sometimes even longer. I of course kept my child in my sight and close while doing this but not so close that they can engage with me to play together.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:08 am

How about a big unbreakable bowl with big pieces of uncooked pasta to stir?
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:24 am

those are great ideas - except she would eat (choke on) the pasta. LOL :lol:

I've tried the special toy thing. no toys engage her attention for more than 15 seconds. she actually like to color, etc...but i am too nervous about how much crayon is getting on the table to concentrate on my reading. :shock:

i really should use a playpen. we don't have one because we never used it...it is just one more thing to sit around and be "big". i have issues with a cluttered house and playpens looks like clutter to me. i know that is probably silly, but i can't stand to have it sitting around for the 15 per day we would use it.

the snack thing is a good idea...we read after breakfast anyway. maybe we'll just do it at the table..hmmm...

thanks ladies! :)
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:43 pm

mommyofgirls wrote:those are great ideas - except she would eat (choke on) the pasta. LOL :lol:

:)
Well, my little guy never put much in his mouth, still doesn't...including food :? .

Ummm, I will try to think of what else would engage him at that stage.
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 pm

How about a johnny jump up (those things that hang from the doorposts) or an exersaucer?

What about a big basket of assorted stuffed animals and a homemade tent made out of 2 chairs and a sheet to play inside of?
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:40 pm

MommyInTraining wrote:
mommyofgirls wrote:those are great ideas - except she would eat (choke on) the pasta. LOL :lol:

:)
Well, my little guy never put much in his mouth, still doesn't...including food :? .

Ummm, I will try to think of what else would engage him at that stage.
:lol: i have friend with a 2 yo who will put everything in his mouth BUT food. drives her crazy. LOL

thanks for your suggestions!!! :D
dd3 - LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Do you have a saucer? That was a huge hit at our house. Safe containment is pretty important at that age, especially is we moms want to keep our sanity and be able to homeschool. :D The saucer with some toys worked well, and those Baby Mozart and Miss Pattcake etc. videos were a huge hit for 15-30 minutes while our little guy played in the saucer. We cleared out the bottom of one of our kitchen cupboards and put baby toys in it too. Out little ones thought that was super fun to be able to have their own cupboard to dig into. The tupperware drawer was actually a good thing too - though I have pictures of my 1 yo chucking lids over his shoulder as he unloaded and reloaded the tupperware. :lol: The johnny jump-up was good for awhile too (until they weighed too much). Refrigerator magnets (like the Leap Frog letters, animals, and vehicles) kept my dc busy in the kitchen. One last vote for the playpen - I know it can be a clutter, but we found a way to put it in the baby's room (which is 9 x 9 :shock: ), so it can be done in small areas. We trained our little ones to play in the playpen with Christian radio playing in the background - they went from being happy to do this for 5 minutes to 45 minutes. It was an excellent way to train them to be in their rooms for quiet times when they were older too. :wink: I hope some of these help! :)

In Christ,
Julie

P.S. Talking about reducing clutter - we put the saucer in the playpen when it wasn't being used. :lol:
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Toddler Tunes DVD by CedarMont Kids has been my sanity saver lol :wink:
I put that in on the days that I really need to give Kasey my undivided attention and gain about 30 minutes of time. I try to save it and not play it every day because Typhoon Tiffy really loves that video. I too am working on the "special box of toys" and have reorganized her play area so that I can rotate toys on different days.
I also found Reader Rabbit Baby &Toddler cd Rom has been awesome for her. I can put her at my desk/computer and work with Kasey (our desks are together in a L shape, my desk is the bottom of the L and Kasey's is the vertical) so I'm just in arms reach.
My Typhoon does love to color too! I've invested in large rolls of paper and cheap coloring books. We are still working on the rule that crayons stay in the area and to color on paper or coloring books. She's getting better. On the table I'll tape down a large sheet of paper. If your worried about crayon markings on things, look into the crayola wonder markers and paper. Those are awesome! Colors nothing but the paper.
At least two days of the week I try to do at least 10 minutes of LHTH with her while Kasey is doing Independent work. That seems to help too cuz when we are done she wants to go play and generally leave mommy and sissy alone for a short time to work together.
Its not always perfect, and there's days nothing seems to work to entertain her lol. On those days we just do what we can until the peace of nap time arrives and then its an all out cram session to push to get it done before the Typhoon awakens.
Keep your chin up and don't pull out your hair yet! I do understand your challenge, for me with the age gap I got some days its like learning to be a new mom all over again lol.
You could also start with small increments of individual play time. Begin by engaging her in play with her then quietly tell her Mommy is going to go over here. Tell her Mommy wants you to stay and play here. Tell her that you will come back and finish playing when you do what you need to do. Then get up and go to where you said you would go (I found it was easier to have the child where she could see me). Keep your time away from the child short at first, always praising her for staying put during that time you step away. When she's comfortable with the short time extend that time a little more. If she follows you or leaves that area, calmly and quietly take her by the hand lead her back to the area and tell her again that you need to say "work with Bobby", stay and play.
I know that sounds real corny, like working with a puppy instead of a kid, but it works. LOL.
I do hope this helps some.
By the way you could probably take a guess why we call our lil one Tyhoon Tiffy....I don't need to worry about where she's gone..all I have to do is follow the swathe of destruction she leaves behind lol. :roll: :lol:
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

icukirt

Post by icukirt » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:00 pm

My daughter is a little older, but she loves to color too (at home, in the car, at the store--LOVES to color).
I have found pi-squeak markers that are washable and a God-send for us. They clean up easily and are short and chubby--just right for little hands.

Also food is a big distractor for us. Food keeps my kids quiet...I always try to make healthy choices and give them snacks early in the morning or afternoon so that meals aren't affected too much.

Another big hit at our house is an aquadoodle...we have small ones that are maybe 6"x6" and there is a large floor mat that is a big hit. The biggest mess is water...yeah no big deal.

Depending on how "oral" your child is you can make activities for her to sort. Teddy bear counters moved from bowl to bowl were a big deal for my DD. If yours puts everything in her mouth you could try with goldfish or something she can eat. My daughter liked to pour them from cup to cup.

Today I discovered my daughter likes to sort the mail...give yours the junk mail and she might have 5 minutes of entertainment pulling the inserts out of envelopes.

One other thing I do is put toys in tubs and put them up in the closet and rotate them out to be played with. This keeps your kiddo from getting bored with one activity; though we can all agree sometimes our kiddos will do the same thing OVER and OVER again...

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Kirstin

I've tried the special toy thing. no toys engage her attention for more than 15 seconds. she actually like to color, etc...but i am too nervous about how much crayon is getting on the table to concentrate on my reading. :shock:

i really should use a playpen. we don't have one because we never used it...it is just one more thing to sit around and be "big". i have issues with a cluttered house and playpens looks like clutter to me. i know that is probably silly, but i can't stand to have it sitting around for the 15 per day we would use it.

the snack thing is a good idea...we read after breakfast anyway. maybe we'll just do it at the table..hmmm...

thanks ladies! :)
Kirstin
wife to Scott since 2001
step-mom to ds (14) in private school
mom to ds (5 1/2) will start LHFHG 2009-2010
mom to dd (2) who is speech delayed and has just started speech therapy

1GirlTwinBoys

Post by 1GirlTwinBoys » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:16 am

When my twin boy's were that age, I had a special kitchen cabinet that I would let them get in to stay busy. I had it filled with plastic containers, pots, play food, blocks and big cooking spoons. You could put different little snack foods that she could find and eat. Try to keep the cabinet locked except when you need it so the excitement doesn't wear off. :P
Daughter~ 7 (2nd grade)
Twin Boys~ 6 (1st grade)

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:13 am

What about homemade play dough with a few modeling tools to poke into it while sitting in the high chair?
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Here's a few things my 14 month old likes to do:

~ A Magnadoodle.
~ A paintbrush, a small cup of water, and a piece of black/dark paper ... YAY!
~ A plastic tea set with raisins/cheerios in each cup and in the tea pot.
~ A play kitchen with a basket of play food/dishes and of course, a telephone.
~ Large plastic eggs that will fit the Fisher Price Little People.
~ Small plastic eggs and an empty egg carton.
~ Clothes pins in a container to dump out.
~ Uncooked noodles in a tub with spoons, containers, etc. Sure, she munches on a few, but she doesn't choke on them.
~ Blocks, books, dolls, balls, etc.
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 am

tjswaine wrote: ~ A Magnadoodle.
~ A paintbrush, a small cup of water, and a piece of black/dark paper ... YAY!

Oh yes, these were hits here too :D !
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo