Math Facts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
shera

Math Facts

Post by shera » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:52 pm

When I was growing up, we only had to memorize our times tables. Now I am hearing a lot of people saying you need to memorize addition tables and subtraction tables. I know in Singapore this type of drill work is not included in the workbook and I have a set of flashcards. When should my child know the addition and subtraction facts? We are currently doing 1a. We just completed the lessons on 7 and 8 so should he know addition facts through 8 by now or what?

Help
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Personally, for my kids, they just memorized addition and subtraction through regular practice, in other words, doing the math problems in their workbooks. We always used objects to add and subtract at first, so that they could grasp the concept, and gradually (like starting in 3rd or 4th grade) moved them to working without objects. By then, the addition and subtraction became automatic. I have found light drill has worked well for them with multiplication-using songs always seems to work for my kids, there are lots of different ones out there. There are also online games that my kids play every now and then-use whatever appeals to you and your child, but keep it light, especially at a young age. Just my opinion :D Hope that helps!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:18 pm

I had mine do drill on addition and subtraction but they were coming from public school and did not know their facts. I do not think I will need to do as much drill with my two that will never have been in ps because I think they will know them. But if they don't I will drill them as well. We drill multiplication and division too. Just have them do flash cards. I am kind of not really involved. It's kind of a game for them so it works. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:19 pm

Opinions vary widely as to how much drill with math facts should be done! :wink: I always err on the side of allowing the facts to sink in on their own through their Singapore math lessons over time. Then, if the facts don't seem to be coming to them very naturally, we will drill them with flashcards.

We are just ready to begin Singapore 3A with my second son, and he can recall most of the facts on his own by now. My first-born however needed the flashcard practice. So, all kiddos are different. :D

Through my public school years, we tried SO MANY different ways to instill math facts in the kiddos little minds. Singing the facts worked for some, timed tests worked for others, programs like Addition the Fun Way worked for a few or Times Tales the Fun Way worked for some also. But, overall we found steady flashcard practice worked for almost all kiddos. It's not flashy but it does work. I'm sure some other moms will chime in with their opinions too.

Blessings,
Carrie