Embarrassed! I can't figure this one out (no laughing)!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Candice

Embarrassed! I can't figure this one out (no laughing)!

Post by Candice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 pm

For some reason I can't figure out how to do this art activity. Which way (position) do I tape on the "tent". I have not actually attempted it, just reading the directions, and I am already confused! Oh boy, this is embarrassing!

Art Activity (LHTH Unit 3 Day 3)

Have students draw and color
bright stripes on an index card.
Fold the card in half to be a tent.
Have students dip a wadded up
paper towel on black paper to
create white stars in a night sky.
Help students tape the tent to the
black paper with clear tape

Maybe some of you "Olives" know? Thanks!

Candice
Last edited by Candice on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MamaMary

Re: Embarassed! I can't figure this one out (no laughing)!

Post by MamaMary » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Candice wrote:For some reason I can't figure out how to do this art activity. Which way (position) do I tape on the "tent". I have not actually attempted it, just reading the directions, and I am already confused! Oh boy, this is embarassing!

Art Activity (LHTH Unit 3 Day 3)

Have students draw and color
bright stripes on an index card.
Fold the card in half to be a tent.
Have students dip a wadded up
paper towel on black paper to
create white stars in a night sky.
Help students tape the tent to the
black paper with clear tape

Maybe some of you "Olives" know? Thanks!

Candice
Well, I'm not an Olive and I see how it can be confusing and I might even be wrong here, but I'll take a stab at it :?

1- I am thinking you would fold the index card lenthwise so that it looks like a tent?

2- Then you would take a wadded paper towel and dip it in white paint on dip the paint on black paper to look like stars.

3- Lastly, I would tape the tent with the opening facing out to the black paper? That way you could see the black sky (aka: paper) if you looked through the front of the tent?

Ok, now we need to see if an Olive can tell me if I understood it correctly or not? :lol:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

shera

Post by shera » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:43 pm

Well this Olive agrees with Mary but I haven't done this lesson so I don't know if I am right or not.

1. Child draws lines on blank side of index card.
2. Fold card in half (it will make a square not a skinny rectangle)
3. With a wadded up paper towel dipped in white paint dab towel onto black paper.
4. Let dry
5 Tape folded index card onto bottom edge of black paper so when looking through the "tent" you see the sky.

HTH
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

Candice

Post by Candice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:07 pm

Mary and Sarah,

Thank you, my daughter and I are doing it now, I will let you know how it goes. I bet my daughter will be the one to figure it out!

Candice

Candice

Post by Candice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:12 pm

It turned out just fine.

Abraham's tent however, has quite the feminine touch...my daughter painted it yellow and pink and sprinkled it with glitter!

Candice

shera

Post by shera » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:19 pm

:lol: :lol: I'm glad it worked for yah!

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Candice,

We did this a few weeks ago. (Abraham slept in a tent with a lot of pink at our house, too :lol: ...no glitter though. It hasn't been replaced since she "spilled" ALL of it on the floor. :shock: )

I just put a piece of tape on the flat side of the tent and stuck it to the black paper, and then did the other side. I guess maybe it looked like they were camping "in" the stars, but it worked and she got to tell daddy what everything was when he came home for lunch.

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Candice

Post by Candice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:10 pm

Kathleen,

Thanks!
It sounds like your project turned out just fine as well, I love when they are excited to explain what they built/learned.

About the glitter, yep, it got all over the place! Especially when my 10 month old daughter did her "military crawl" through some of it. Now most of my tile in the kitchen has this glittery, fairy dust look!
Wouldn't change it for anything though!

Candice

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Candice wrote: Abraham's tent however, has quite the feminine touch...my daughter painted it yellow and pink and sprinkled it with glitter!

Candice
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:57 am

We have the exact opposite here - all camouflage and boy colors. And glitter? No way! The Lord did make boys and girls different right from the get-go, didn't He?!? :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie