Hi! New to HOD and homeschooling, would love any advice!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Erin

Hi! New to HOD and homeschooling, would love any advice!

Post by Erin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi! Let me introduce myself before my questions :) . My name is Erin, I am 26, my husband is Adam, 27. We have been married for 5.5 years, been together for 9. We have 2 children. Meeah is 3.5 and she came home from Guatemala at 4.5 months. Migel is 2 and he came home from Guatemala at almost 6 months. My husband and I both run at home daycares (me from our home, him from our other house) and we both teach preschool in them. After lots of praying we decided that homeschool is what God wants for us and our children. And He led me to HOD! I picked up the Little hearts for his glory at our local Christian book shop. Then I went online and researched for days on other curriculums, but God turned me back to HOD and I know this is the perfect program for us! In my daycare I have tried lots of different preschool programs, and after looking at Little Hands of Heaven, it is the best I have seen! I ordered it last night and will not only teach my 2 children it as their first home lessons, but I will also be incorporating it into my daycare.
I would love any advice anyone has to give me upon starting my homeschool journey with my family! My experience is only with preschoolers, so I know I got the next 2 years down pretty good :) . But any insights, anything you wish someone would have told you when you started out, anything at all is appreciated! Thanks and God Bless!
Erin
Erin
Mama to my Guatemalan Princesa Meeah, 3.5
and my Guatemalan Principe Migel, 2

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Don't have any advice...I learn something new everyday, so I'm not sure I'll ever have hs'ing "down pat"!! :wink: Just wanted to give you a big, warm welcome to HOD. You are now an official Hodie!! :lol:

Enjoy your next few years...preschool is so much fun, and HOD helps keep the more "serious" years just as fun! I wish I had had more fun during these years, and not stressed out over doing everything....I guess that can be my advice...
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi Erin! It's so nice to meet you and have you here on the boards! I have a lot to learn myself yet with homeschooling. My sons are 11 mos., almost 5 years old, and 8 years old. We've done all of the HOD programs, and I can happily assure you that you and your children will enjoy HOD so much!

As far as advice, I guess one hard lesson I seem to have to keep relearning is that my day goes much more smoothly and happily if I don't answer the phone or work on other projects during my homeschooling time. One other thing is to make sure that "God" is a big part of our day. HOD already does that for me, but I also try to remember to take time to pray with the children and have a personal quiet time for myself. I am not saying that I have always gotten this done (there was a 5 month time span when all I did was soothe my darling crying baby, it seemed)! But, I have realized my attitude is greatly impacted by whether or not I get my quiet time and also whether my children have some down time throughout the day.

Glad you are here! Don't be a stranger!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Candice

Post by Candice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Erin,

Welcome, we are so glad to have you here!

I am quite new to homeschooling myself, so I have many more questions than answers at this point. I know what I have learned so far and I would be happy to share.

I have learned that at this young age, it is about laying a foundation and that this is an important step necessary to ensure success in the future years. This means to me, being most concerned with character buiding and growing a relationship with God. Fortunately, HOD is the perfect choice to accomplish this! Although LHTH certainly has age appropriate academics, more importantly (in my opinion), it has a strong focus on God and the bible. My daughter has learned so much so far, and she has had such fun in doing so! The bible activities, fingerplays, dramatic play and active exploration really speak to her and let her be a little kid. I see how much fun she is having while learning so much in the process and I could not be happier.

Well, I am not sure that qualifies as advice, maybe just sharing my experience so far. I hope you have as much fun with LHTH as we do!

I am sure some more experienced moms can give you some great advice!

Candice

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:01 pm

Welcome Erin! :D We're glad to have you here! There are many, many moms that use "Little Hands to Heaven" in a preschool/home daycare setting. We pray your little ones will enjoy it as much as ours have!

I'm sure the other moms will keep chiming in here with their welcomes and words of wisdom!

Blessings,
Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Welcome, Erin! Glad you are starting your homeschooling adventure with HOD-I sure wish it was around when my big kids were that age :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:55 am

Welcome Erin!
We're still new to hmeschooling, but I will share one thing I've learned. Don't compare yourself (or your kids) to others to much. It leads to frustration and unwanted expense (and stress) of curriculum hopping. I bought LHTH a few years ago, but got sucked in by 2 bigger names. Bought them, tried them, made homeschool no fun before finally coming back to th HOD programs. When I first told my DD that we were doing school with a new program, she said no. But after the first day, she asked for more, so we did more. Now school work is not a dirty word in our house!
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:24 am

just wanted to pop in and say Ni Hao! (HI!) and give you some huggles from one adoptive Mommy to another.. and listen crlacy she gave you some great advice.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫