A plug for dictation...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4froggies

A plug for dictation...

Post by 4froggies » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:34 pm

Just wanted to share with others how happy I am using dictation for our spelling. I was worried at first about using only dictation for spelling, instead of a "formal" program, especially since it has never been a natural subject for my dd. However, I am so pleased with her spelling lately.

The other day, she wrote her narration for history and correctly spelled 2 or 3 words that just happened to be words we had done in dictation that week. So, the spelling is carrying over into "real" writing, which is actually the real reason for spelling, right??? :lol:

Just wanted to share with everyone and encourage others who might be on the fence about dictation. :)
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

striving2Bprov31

Re: A plug for dictation...

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks for sharing that!! We aren't very far into our school year yet, and I have been eager to see how dictation would work. My 9.5 yo daughter is doing dictation. When I first learned about it this past spring I thought, "What? How in the world can that work??" It is so funny how Charlotte Mason methods are so far from our "traditional" mindset. I have had fun explaining this to people when they say, "You use poetry and prose to learn spelling?" or "You don't use history and science textbooks?" I love it... Thanks again!

Happy homeschool to you,

Liz

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:03 am

Yay, I like hearing this.

I am using Preparing for my 10 yo this year, and it's the first time we're trying dictation for spelling. So far so good. However, I finding her short term memory isn't so hot. She leaves out a few words more than misspells. This is gonna help her in more ways that one, that's for sure.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:19 am

We're enjoying dictation too.

I do have 4th grade Rod & Staff spelling that I've been having my daughter do, too - just b/c it's started and we already paid for it. I didn't buy the 5th grade, though, so I think when she finishes this book, we'll do only dictation.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks for sharing this! We've found the same to be true here. Dictation has helped improve my ds's spelling more than anything else we've done. As a previous user of Spelling Power and R & S Spelling - I've moved away from those and found my new home with dictation. It's been a good move for us! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:00 pm

4froggies,

Thanks for the update! :D I had a hard time moving to dictation as our spelling "program" too but have also been very pleased with the results. My boys have carried the spelling over into their daily writing also and write very well within their written narrations and other assignments. The more years we do studied dictation the more sold I am on it as an excellent spelling methodology.

Blessings,
Carrie