Can you use the non-US Singapore Math books?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
NicoleJ

Can you use the non-US Singapore Math books?

Post by NicoleJ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:19 pm

We are Aussie's and I was hoping to use the Singapore Math books with the British spellings/measurements, etc. Will this still work with a HOD guide? Do anyone know if you can order non-US Singapore books from HOD? Thanks! Nicole

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Can you use the non-US Singapore Math books?

Post by Carrie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:22 pm

The U.S. Edition is the one that corresponds with the schedule that is included within our guides. Hope that helps! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:39 pm

Carrie wrote:The U.S. Edition is the one that corresponds with the schedule that is included within our guides. Hope that helps! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

So, you couldn't use the guides with non-US Singapore books? Are the non-US books available for purchase from HOD, or would they have to be purchased separately? Thanks!! Nicole

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:21 pm

Nicole,

We only carry the U.S. version of Singapore math, since that is the one that matches the schedules in our guides. You'd have to purchase the non-U.S. version of Singapore math on the Singapore website www.singaporemath.com

Blessings,
Carrie

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks Carrie for clearing that up! :D Is it worth using the non-US Singapore with the HOD guides, or should I purchase the Teacher books that match the non-US Singapore books? Thanks for your help. Nicole

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Depending on what level you are using, you probably want to purchase the Home Instructor Guides if you are going with the non-US version of Singapore. Some of the "singapore way" can be hard to teach without some kind of guide. In the HOD guide, it is written for the US version and the page numbers and lessons will not match exactly - nor will all of the concepts you are wanting when it comes to the measurement parts.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Tree House Academy wrote:Depending on what level you are using, you probably want to purchase the Home Instructor Guides if you are going with the non-US version of Singapore. Some of the "singapore way" can be hard to teach without some kind of guide. In the HOD guide, it is written for the US version and the page numbers and lessons will not match exactly - nor will all of the concepts you are wanting when it comes to the measurement parts.

Thanks so much for your help!! I think I might skip doing HOD for this year as if the maths doesn't match up with my Singapore books,as then there is not a lot of point in doing the manual seeing as I was going to have to skip so much. :(

Thanks for your help! Nicole :)

RachelB

Post by RachelB » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 am

Oh Nicole! Don't skip HOD just because of the math! I'm doing Bigger with my dd this year, and she wasn't ready for 2A math, so I just ordered the 1B textbook and 1B workbook, and are doing it ourselves, and then when we get to 2A, I'll go back and use the lesson plans from Bigger. I would think that ordering the textbook and workbook of what levels you need would work just fine, and then you could use the rest of the curriculum as is! I'd hate to see you and your kids miss out on all the goodness of HOD!
Rachel

mommy to
Kailee - 12
Gracie - 8
Kaden - 7
Mollie - 3
Brynlee - 5 months

2 ^^ in heaven
happily married to Brian for 12 years

2014- 2015 - Using RevtoRev, Preparing, Beyond & maybe LHTH!

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks Rachel! I have decided that I will order singapore 1A & B and 2A & B and Beyond and Bigger and do 1A&B with Beyond over Summer and then start the new year (we start school here in early Feb) using 2A&B using the Bigger manual. Phew! :shock: What a lot of organising this has been! :D

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi Nicole

I am an Aussie too!! I just wanted to add, that I use the US Singapore maths books with LHFHG, but I also have a "targeting" maths book (it goes with the NSW syllabus). I use this with the singapore maths (not everyday, but a few times a week) I usually find the matching subject area (for example numbers 1-10) and do a bit from the Australian text as well. I don't think it is totally necesary, as the Singapore maths really does cover everything really well, but it does give me a bit of "peace of mind" that I am covering what I need to .

Where in Australia are you? We live in Wollongong, South of Sydney.

Love Deb

P.S I asked about using an American maths text when I first started HSing on Aussie Homeschool Classifieds, and got a really positive response, infact some people thought it was great, as their children could calculate very quickly in both metric and imperial??? measures!
Loving, living and learning at home.

Wife to my dearest friend, Mummy to 4 little lovelies
Homeschooling with:

DD 7: BLHFHG
DD 5: LHFHG
DS 3: LHTH
DS 9 weeks...delighting us all with smiles and giggles!!

Living in Australia!!!!

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 am

trustinghim wrote:Hi Nicole

I am an Aussie too!! I just wanted to add, that I use the US Singapore maths books with LHFHG, but I also have a "targeting" maths book (it goes with the NSW syllabus). I use this with the singapore maths (not everyday, but a few times a week) I usually find the matching subject area (for example numbers 1-10) and do a bit from the Australian text as well. I don't think it is totally necesary, as the Singapore maths really does cover everything really well, but it does give me a bit of "peace of mind" that I am covering what I need to .

Where in Australia are you? We live in Wollongong, South of Sydney.

Love Deb

P.S I asked about using an American maths text when I first started HSing on Aussie Homeschool Classifieds, and got a really positive response, infact some people thought it was great, as their children could calculate very quickly in both metric and imperial??? measures!
Hi Deb! Great to meet you on here! I am in WA (3 hours south of Perth). I think I will get the non-US Singapore nooks, but just find the pages that I need in the Sing. wrkbooks - that is, use the fun games etc from the HOD manual but find the corresponding pages in the Sing. book myself, rather than going by the page numbers in the manual.

How have you used HOD? Have you used all the programs? Do you do all the AH things too? Blessings! Nicole