Spanish??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MistyP

Spanish??

Post by MistyP » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:49 am

Any recommendations for Spanish for 5 yo & 6 yo? We live in South Florida and would like to learn Spanish. I would like to add it in 2-3 days a week.

Thanks!!
Misty
Mommy to 6!

dale1088

Re: Spanish??

Post by dale1088 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:18 pm

I have heard that La Clase Divertida is very good. I think it's about $110 retail though, so... :shock:

This year I went to the homeschool store and got a workbook (there are lots) and we are just going to work on those, and get the Spanish/English books that the library has. I will also try to be casual and conversational with them (I know just enough to be dangerous). I think at the young ages your girls are, you can just start out slow with naming objects in spanish, colors, numbers, etc. KWIM?
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

playschool

Post by playschool » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 pm

We will be trying The Easy Spanish. They have a junior version for smaller children as well as one that could span up to Junior High or Highschool. Because I have older children, we will be using the one geared for those ages.

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Misty,

There is a new program out that is called Getting Started With Spanish. I have not used the program, but my son is using their Latin program and is enjoying it.

http://gettingstartedwithspanish.com/
Dixie
Mom to Five: 3 boys and 2 girls

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 am

I purchased "La Clase Divertida" (The Fun Class) at convention this year for about $100.00. We just started it this week with my ds6, ds4 and dd2 year old. It is fun! There are crafts and cooking involved. You learn a little about the Mexican culture in the level 1 kit. It is probably great for your dc's age group. For children 10 and up it might be a little too juvenile.
There is a DVD and practice CD. It's not the most professionally video taped, but the kids don't seem to mind. I have two friends who purchased the same program, so we made a little co-op for doing the crafts and cooking together.
My kids enjoyed it and even 2 year old is repeating after me and want say the vowels on her own. We are planning on taking 3 weeks for each lesson. There are 15 lessons.
I had 2 years of Castillian Spanish, being from South-America and it's all coming back, this is a great start for the little ones. I'm excited!
Here is the link to check it out: https://funclase.com/Level_1.html
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:02 am

Thanks!!
Misty
Mommy to 6!

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:25 pm

check out www.bocabeth.com . she has some great products for young ones and she is always giving great info about other stuff she has heard about. she will answer emails fairly quickly. For instance, i asked her what dictionary she found the most helpful in all her teaching and she wrote back and told me . she is out of Tampa Florida . she sends out at least one email a week with cute videos on Youtube that she has done in various places with children.

i have got to get better at implenting Spanish around our home. it is written on our schedule and somehow it is the last thing to get done. i think doing a little bit every day is what is best. when you don't use it, ya lose it. so now i need to take my own advice and get the ball rolling. One day we were painting and i chose 5 words that were going with our activity and we reviewed them later.
i have been blessed to get usborne's first 11 spanish words and usbourne's first thousand spanish wordss both for only $1 each at Goodwill.(What a find) i love the pictures for me and the ease of looking up words that we come across everyday. We also have some flashcards. i would have to look up who the maker of those are.

Happy Hunting
Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Dixie wrote:Misty,

There is a new program out that is called Getting Started With Spanish. I have not used the program, but my son is using their Latin program and is enjoying it.

http://gettingstartedwithspanish.com/
I just referred a friend to that Latin program :D We are hoping to start Latin in the next year or two.
Misty
Mommy to 6!