Supplies/Notebooks for Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Patience

Supplies/Notebooks for Bigger

Post by Patience » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:29 am

Hey dear ladies, would anyone be able to link me to past discussion about this topic or share with me what they are using in terms of notebooks for Bigger? I was kind of wanting the kids to have a "MAIN Notebook" where they put all their work, kind of a scrap book, so to speak, and a record of their work. But maybe this would get to complicated and cumbersome. For those of you who have done Bigger, what works best?
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

3musketeers

Re: Supplies/Notebooks for Bigger

Post by 3musketeers » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:44 am

Patience,
I know the ladies will help you find a link. I have seen some discussion on this in the past. I know there will be some more experienced "Biggers" answer as well. We started Bigger in June and here is what I have used. It is working very well.

2- 2" Binders- one for Math (If your math has loose leaf and not workbook style) and one for Language Arts.

For Math I have used (before changing to a wb format this year) a pocket folder with "Work to be done" on one the left pocket then "Work completed" on the right. I set the new assignments for the week in the left. At the end of the week I collect the completed and add them to the binder.
For LA, I then bought 2 spirals and a composition book. I use the spirals for Rod and Staff and Dictation. (I photocopied the dictation passages out of the book and stapled them together. Then we keep them tucked into the spiral). The composition book is for poetry/copywork. (I also photocopied the poems. Stapled them and tuck them into the composition book. I have them color the poem copy. Later I will unstaple and put in binder.) I will put all the spirals and compostion book in the 2"binder. I will also add any writing assignments to the binder as well.

2- 1" Binders, One for History and Art, the other for Science. I used a file folder for timeline. I simply put holes in the side and put it in the front of the binder. I use sheet protectors and have dc add in their assignments in order they are given. You could use dividers to make different sections if you liked.

A set of index cards and a card box- I use these for vocabulary.

A colored set of index cards on a ring- I use this for Bible Verses. I've also heard someone use a photo album with the index cards. That's a good one too.

I hope this helps give a few ideas.
Blessings,
Cindy
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

my3sons

Re: Supplies/Notebooks for Bigger

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:13 am

Here's a past link that should help: