How to make Bigger more independent for an older child?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

How to make Bigger more independent for an older child?

Post by Tree House Academy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:21 pm

We are almost finished with Unit 3 in Bigger and the only issue I am having is that I am doing it with a 5th grader who needs more independent work. I have tossed around a few ideas in my head - like maybe doing History and Science fewer days a week, etc. My son would fit perfectly into Preparing, but we really wanted to do a year of American History before we start the 4 year cycle (PLUS...we did Child's World History last year). Can anyone help me find some sanity here? Much appreciated. :)

The more I look at it, the more I really think I should have chosen Preparing Hearts for Bryce. :( I went and looked at the placement chart, scope and sequence, etc and I was so focused on American History that I never really paid attention to those. The only thing he really doesn't fit in Preparing with is Poetry, Math (which we do CLE anyway, so it doesn't matter) and Reading. :( Should I just save Bigger for younger ds next year and do Preparing for my older son??? I am really starting to think that may be best. I want his Science and History to be at his level. I know the extensions bring it up to level some - but I need him working more independently. Also, most of the concepts studied in Bigger, he has already covered (he went to ps for 3rd grade). Oh goodness. :(
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

momofabcd

Re: How to make Bigger more independent for an older child?

Post by momofabcd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:16 pm

I don't have an answer for you, I'm interested in this, too. I have a 5th grader who can be very independent. The only reason I chose Bigger is because both dc have been in a christian school that uses Veritas Press. They haven't had American History yet, and Preparing looked like it only covered modern times in the last 6 or so weeks.
I'm not using the science, but do have the extension science book. One thing I'm thinking about doing is having them research each topic further and write up a little report. I've also batted around the idea of just letting them read the history portion themselves and do what the T.M. says to do. I'm also thinking about having them do the poetry independently like in Preparing. I haven't really thought it through much more than that. We don't start for another week or so.
Deena
Mom of A Graduated 2017, B 12th, C 8th MTMM in 2018/2019, D 6th Res to Ref 2018/2019, E 3

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 pm

I had my older child do pretty much all but the read alouds and Bible Independent for 6th grade. If they are up for it you might even be able to have them read the science themselves as well. There are some other books you could add that Carrie has listed for older children. You can see them here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=640&hilit=poor+richard If you have not done a state Study you could add 50 States Under God. We also did A Child's Geography (not the one in CTC) because we had started it and had it. It worked well with Bigger. Another thing is there are always Character things we did not always do but sometimes did The Narrow Way from Pearables. It fits really well with the character in Bigger. You can just link them up by topic. I did have her take things to a deeper level than my other three requiring more copywork and even sometimes going deeper on the projects just as I thought of it.

By nature I tend to mix a lot of stuff and I love that you can do this with HOD. So this could be a chance for you to add in something that you have not gotten to on your shelf if American is what you want right now. We found though our dd had American in ps it was limited and she did not remember much of it. So it was perfect for us. Praying for peace for you and the right decision for your family. :D Hope there is something here that is helpful.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 pm

He can handle the Science - not so much with the History. It is the style of writing in the book that throws him more than the content. Today, I had him read his own, though, and he did really well. Thanks for the suggestions!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:52 am

Oh good! I never had my daughter read the read aloud portion of the history either. It is more difficult reading. I'm glad things are going better. Another thing I did that comes to mind when I read something in the History that was really important I had them make a card on it like the vocabulary cards only for an event in history. Just stuff I wanted them to remember. That was an easy thing to add. I just underlined in the book or bracketed where they needed to go back and read and asked them to write a note card on the event. Just something else that comes to mind that really worked for us. This is something I do all the time with them anyway.

Glad your day was better. Praying you find the perfect balance. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:35 am

Rebecca,

You have two good options here, and I'm not sure which is best for you to do. Since you already have the BHFHG manual with extensions, and you've started that already, I think I'd try doing some of the things mentioned by pp's and see how that goes. I think BHFHG is a very full guide, but I guess you can weigh how much you are thinking you'll want to extend BHFHG with if it would be easier just to do PHFHG. If you're going to be thinking all year you need to add more independent work to BHFHG, and be wishing you'd just done PHFHG because it has more independent work, then I'd do PHFHG. I really do think what you are doing with BHFHG is fine though. You also could take time to really focus on ds's writing if you did BHFHG, which I know was a concern you'd brought up in another post. Perhaps you could just continue doing BHFHG with a main focus on ds's writing instruction? PHFHG may be asking him to be independent in ways he's not quite ready for when it comes to writing. However, if you are feeling the need to try to do these things with him anyway (i.e. guided written narration instruction, creative writing, more independent notebooking, Common Place Book copywork, etc.), then PHFHG would have that planned for you already. I'm talking in circles here, aren't I? I can see strengths of both decisions - praying for you to know what you'd enjoy the most. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:58 am

Rebecca,

When we did Bigger Hearts with our son, we looked at it as a year of training him to read from the guide and to do his own readings. This really helped my son be quite independent and was excellent preparation for learning how to follow written directions! :D

I had him do his own history readings and science readings (because CM says that a child of 9 who is able to read his/her own books should) and mine could. I had him get me when he was done reading and we did the follow-up activity together. However, before coming to get me, he was responsible for reading the directions for the activity (in the bottom left box) and getting everything ready for me as best as possible so that when I arrived, we were ready to go! :D He did his timeline, art, notebooking, and vocabulary (eventually) on his own, reading right from the guide. I just checked them when he was done. He practiced his Bible verse on his own and did his Bible verse copywork on his own. He also read over any questions in the Bible study box, and thought about the answers prior to me coming to discuss with him. Then, we did the Bible Study discussion. We listened to the hymns at lunch with all of the kiddos and me singing along. :D

My son did Cheerful Cursive on his own, following the schedule in the guide. He often read over his English 2 lesson and was started on it by the time I joined him. We always did at least half together though, to make sure that he got it. He always began his math on his own and I would go over the textbook lesson with him after he'd looked it over. :D

I did formally set aside a specific time each day to teach Drawn into the Heart of Reading, as its such an important area to make sure kiddos are thinking beneath the surface of what is read and learning to read with discernment.

My son honestly did the science completely independently, with me just checking in with him to make sure he did his lab sheets correctly and seeing that he had performed the experiment correctly. I did listen to his oral narrations with the science book in hand. Sometimes, he narrated to a younger sibling (with me looking over his shoulder).

The Extension Pack readings are meant to be done independently. In a different thread, I think we visited about practicing the skills of oral narration this year quite a bit and also having him dictate a written narration for you to write down for him (and then having him copy several sentences from it). :D

I honestly think that having him work on his writing and spelling skills this year is a key area that really needs focus before moving into Preparing Hearts. The level of writing in Preparing Hearts continues to rise and placement in Preparing is based on the skills noted in the first page of the placement chart (which includes a good dose of writing and spelling). I fear without those skills in place that moving into Preparing would only suit him in the area of reading material and would crowd out practice of core skills needed for good writing.

These are just my thoughts, and you will certainly know best, however I wanted to give you some food for thought on the many needed skills that are woven within Bigger Hearts.

Blessings,
Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:08 am

Julie: I honestly think that I want everything I see in HOD. LOL I looked at Preparing and got excited. Then I printed CTC and got excited again! :) They are all so great for their own reasons that it is not hard to second guess my choices.

Carrie: Thank you so much. You have definitely illustrated how I can have my son be more independent in the use of the manual. I will start that with him this week. You are correct about the writing and spelling - he is NOT ready to take that up a notch yet. As for DITHR, I always sit down with him during that time. My degree is in English and I LOVE DITHR - it is a joyful time for us both. It is better than my college Lit classes (which I also enjoyed tremendously). :)

And I also just want to say that I really appreciate you having such an investment and interest in what will work for each child. I never feel like you are just trying to "sell me" something. I LOVE that! So many of the curriculum foruns seem like the writer is just trying to always get you to buy more. You are actually telling me to stick with what I have - with means you are totally thinking about my son and my unique situation. God bless you for that! :)
~Rebecca~

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:56 pm

Oh, Rebecca! Thank you for your heartfelt words of encouragement. I am so grateful for the privilege of helping each family along their homeschool journey and rely heavily on the Lord for His help in that calling. :D

Blessings,
Carrie