Schedule question for Carrie

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4froggies

Schedule question for Carrie

Post by 4froggies » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:23 am

Carrie, I'm trying to come up with our schedule with HOD. We started on Monday, and we are having a great time with the activities, but I can see I need a firm schedule to stick to in order to keep my sanity. :D (I'm a Betty, so schedules don't come easily to me, though!) I noticed in reading the scheduling thread that you rarely have your children scheduled together doing the same thing. They also do chores at different times. I'm thinking this probably helps cut down on any bickering or boisterous behavior (issues we are working on with my ds3 and dd6) . Was this intentional when you designed your schedules?

Also, where do you start when coming up with a new schedule? Do you come up with oldest's schedule and then the next oldest, etc.? (I have four also) Thanks so much. We are really enjoying LHFHG and CTC so far!

Beth
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

Tree House Academy

Re: Schedule question for Carrie

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:34 pm

I am not Carrie...but a book that really helped me create a schedule (in a step by step type process) was Managers of their Homes by Teri Maxwell. I did not follow everything to the letter - Teri Maxwell has to be one of the most organized and detail oriented people ALIVE (LOL) but what I did use was very helpful to me when I was overwhelmed with scheduling. :)

Hope this helps! Rebecca
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:18 am

I'm not Carrie either, and I know she'll answer your message. :D It has helped us to have a set start time to school. It has worked well to have the oldest start independently, then they aren't waiting on me as I take care of toddler's needs. Working first with my youngest doing an HOD guide (this year that's my 6 yo) has worked well. I also try to have them work separate places (i.e. kitchen table, dining room table). This does cut down on behavior issues.

I keep my quietest, least chance of being interrupted teaching time for Reading about History and DITHOR/Emerging Reader's Set/Phonics. I try to have Storytime either during lunch or during a quieter time, as well as the Bible study part during a quite uninterrupted time. The other things are more able to have noise and activity going on with less chance of interrupting the learning. I start with the toddler and make the schedule according to what he's doing - when he's independent and quiet is when I schedule the things I mentioned above. It's worked well to have each of my dc take 30 minutes to play with toddler. While my oldest plays with toddler, I do the Reading about History, etc. with my middle son. When my middle ds plays with toddler, I do the Reading about History, etc. with my oldest son.

I know Carrie will have some great ideas to share, but in the meantime I thought I'd throw these thoughts out there so you have something to think on until she does! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Beth,

The ladies have already given you wonderful tips that are SO helpful. I, too, own Managers of Their Homes and found much within the book that I loved. I took the parts I loved and modified the rest to fit my style (after first trying all of the colored squares for a year and finding that changing one person affected everyone else's squares). :D

So now I begin the year by making a list for each child that is labeled "Teacher Directed", "Semi-Independent", and "Independent". I list each task under one of the headings, so I can easily see how much of me is required. I do stive for a sort of balance among the 3 lists. By listing activities/tasks this way for each kiddo, it is easy to see who is lacking what type of activity. I then add tasks accordingly to help fill -in any holes that I can see on that child's list. I know the first time that I did this it was a dawning to me to realize that some of my kiddos had no semi-independent or independent tasks on their lists! So, how could I possibly expect them not to interrupt me when I was teaching? :lol:

Then, I begin scheduling my "Teacher Directed" time in 15-30 min. chunks (taking into account that when I am teaching, the other kiddos need to be doing either a Semi-Independent task quietly nearby me or need to be doing an independent task away from me in another room). I write a flow chart type schedule for each individual child, making sure that the Semi-Independent or Independent tasks are tasks that can go on for awhile, rather than having an exact finish time (like educational computer, or books on tape, or playtime in the crib, etc.). In this way I am not continually interrupted during my teaching time by a child who has finished a task and is now waiting on me. :wink:

When making my schedule I always remind myself what type of person I am, knowing that I am NOT a morning person. So, I allow myself some grace in the schedule first thing in the morning, making sure my older kiddos begin with their more independent tasks first thing (so they can get started without me, and we can start on time each day). :wink: I also know that I tend to lose my teaching "oomph" in the later afternoon, so I make sure to schedule my teaching time pretty much back-to-back all morning (with morning recess and lunch in between) and then right after lunch to maximize my optimal teaching time for my personality. If I don't take my own style into account, then the best schedule in the world will not get done. :wink:

When scheduling chores, I take into account each child's personality. So, my oldest who is a morning person and a "get-it done" guy starts his days with his chores and heads right into his toughest subject. My next in line, who is NOT a morning person, starts off slowly with an easier low-key subject and eases into school and his chores. My next son in line comes down for breakfast and spends time with daddy first thing in the morning, as this is very important to him, and then cheerfully heads up to play in his room for 45 min. - 1 hour after that (keeping it quiet downstairs for my older sons). :wink: I look at what each child truly desires first thing in the morning and try to match that with the schedule to get everyone off on the right foot (including me)!

Anyway, these are just a few tips that may or may not help you. But, hopefully it will get you thinking about what may work well for your family.

Blessings,
Carrie

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks so much! This really helps. Yesterday went pretty smoothly with a tentative schedule, but I can tell I still have some tweaking to do. I will do what you suggested, Carrie. I actually have MOTH, and it has helped, but I guess I just needed some practical advice on how to schedule our days, especially with HOD. Thanks!

Beth
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:31 am

Beth,

I see I missed answering part of your original question! :lol: I do start scheduling with my little ones in mind first, as they need the most from me teaching and mommying-wise, and thus they drive our schedule whether I want them to or not. :wink:

I also try to get most of my teaching time done in the morning or early afternoon, so I keep that in the forefront of my mind when I'm scheduling me as well. I like to add 10 min. of additional "grace" time to the schedule for each task done independently by my kiddos (knowing it will take longer if I am not watching over them). :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Gwenny

Re: Schedule question for Carrie-BUMP

Post by Gwenny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:11 am

I wanted to bump this old thread because it had some great scheduling tips in it for those interested. :) I know that it's old and Carrie's life has changed and how she has to schedule things now, but it's very helpful. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my12kiddos

Post by my12kiddos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Thank you for the bump :wink: