Vocabularly in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heather

Vocabularly in Bigger

Post by Heather » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi ladies,

I was wondering how you chose to set up the vocabulary component in BHFHG. The manual explains that you can use either index cards or a composition book with each letter having 2 pages to copy the words.

From what I understand the steps for the vocabulary lesson is finding the word in the dictionary, copying it and the definition, writing a sentence using the word and adding a simple illustration.

Have you found this works better with the cards or in a notebook? The cards appeal to me because they would provide good alphabetization practice. However, do they provide enough room for an illustration and sentence? How do the kids keep the words alphabetized in the composition notebook? Or do you just not worry about that...as long as the word is on the right page it's fine.

Thanks for your tips!

Heather

mskogen

Re: Vocabularly in Bigger

Post by mskogen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:09 pm

I made a notebooking page because I wanted the bigger page but wanted to be able to put them in ABC order. This has worked very well for us.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi Heather! :D We used the index cards and recipe box. I liked it because my ds could alphabetize them easily, but the pp's idea would make that easily done with copy paper too. Another kind of unique reason I liked using cards is because drawing/coloring has never been my ds's thing. He was not overwhelmed by a "blank page", and the card gave him just the right amount of room to draw and color without it taking him long to do. On the flip side, I have a nephew who is very artistic, and the cards were good for him because he would have drawn and colored all day otherwise. :lol: That being said, I like the idea of a notebook too and may do that this next time to change it up. Whichever one appeals to you best is the one to go for - have fun with BHFHG - we sure did!

:D In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:05 pm

We used index cards in a mini index card binder. It worked great for us. The cards never get lost and it takes a little bit of space. We did not alphabetize them though and this year perhaps we will do that with dividers. Anyway just another way that works. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:37 pm

We used index cards and alphabetized them in a recipe box.

There was plenty of room for Grant to write the definition and sentence on the lined side, then he flipped it and illustrated on the back side.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 pm

I am not a big fan of index cards, so we use the notebook. My son has 2 pages per letter of the alphabet in a spiral bound notebook.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Benelli

Post by Benelli » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 am

We used index cards in with two holes and rings. That worked well for us so my son could practice alphabetizing each time he had to add a vocabulary word.
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:45 pm

We chose index cards for the vocabulary in Preparing. The kids like it and they do the definition and sentence on the front and the illustration on the back. This works great for us. I think they might get carried away with the illustrating and then might run out of room with only two notebook pages per letter.

Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks for everyone's feedback. What I have settled on is using index cards with the boxes. When I was picking out the boxes this evening I saw alphabetized dividers that fit nicely in the box. So of course I had to get those, too! :lol: I think writing on the lined side and drawing on the blank side will work great for my boys. Neither of them are crazy about drawing, so a smaller space will work well for them.

Thanks, Heather

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:37 am

I never thought of having them write on one side and draw on the other - I am such a creature of habit. :lol: Thanks for sharing that idea! Oh, and I bought the dividers too, and that made it super easy to alphabetize the index cards. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

kiloyd

Post by kiloyd » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks for this post! We'll be starting Bigger in a couple weeks.
Katherine
ds 9, Preparing
dd just turned 6, LHFHG
dd 3
and 15 mo old 3 days a week