experienced hs'er wanting your input

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Jewell! I'm so glad you are here, and let me say that I think that you are definitely the right place. I've done LHTH and LHFHG, and I agree what the wise ladies here have had to say.

I am confident that even with a large family you will have the time to do this. I'm doing LHFHG now for the second time, and it takes about an hour to an hour and a half for the daily 2 page spread of plans.

We began doing LHFHG half-speed this year. We did the left side of the plans one day, and the right side of the plans the next day, going back and forth like this, planning to take 2 years to do LHFHG. We did do phonics daily. (Just recently, we began doing all of the plans in a day because I felt like my son was ready for it, so we'll finish in about a year and a half instead. It is very easy to choose and alter the pacing with all of the HOD programs due to the multiple age ranges and choices for each program.) I think that you could take 2 years to do LHFHG as well, because your child is only 5, and the age range for LHFHG is ages 5-7. This would give time for his fine motor skills to develop more fully. You could, at any time, begin to do both pages of the daily plans when you felt he was ready for it.

Your 3 yo could easily take part of many of the plans in LHFHG, so maybe start out trying that first and see how it goes.

That being said, we have also done a slower pace with LHTH, doing just a few "boxes" a day, or doing a whole page of plans just 2 or 3 days a week. Thus, taking 1 1/2 years to 2 years to do this. I think you could do that for your 3 yo. LHTH is for ages 2-5, so you'd have plenty of time to complete it and still stay on track, so you could add that in if need be.

Another thing that I've liked about HOD's programs is that you can always choose to move to a higher level of reading when your dc are ready. For instance, one of my son's was ready to begin the Emerging Reader's Set in the middle of LHFHG, so we began doing that. So, if your dc take off in reading (which HOORAY, it seems like they are headed that direction), you can always move them into the next appropriate reading level while still completing the HOD curriculum you are already using.

I think HOD would be a great fit, and I hope to hear your thoughts on all of this after a bit! Welcome, and I know you'll love the ladies on the HOD board!

Blessings,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jewell

reading

Post by jewell » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:55 pm

yes, it's kind of a relief to have a couple who are taking off reading that area after a few who struggled a bit.

As for tonight :? I'm thinking I;ll order the younger one (Little Hands), as we have a little more challenging Phonics for the almost 5 year old right now, and I don't want to burn him out either. He has some trouble sitting still...they say it's because his upper body strength is so poor that if he doesn't move or lean he'll melt into the carpet. It's not ADD. I wonder how many other kiddos are like that...but I digress!

I so appreciate your help. I think I'll "look around" and pray for used copy...or the ability to squeeze the budget hard enough to order.
jewell
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

blessedmomof4

Re: reading

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:18 am

jewell wrote: I think I'll "look around" and pray for used copy...or the ability to squeeze the budget hard enough to order.
jewell
I don't know if you use ebay, but I saw a used copy there before.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

jewell

Post by jewell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:22 am

I'll check again. thanks for the tip. Last time I checked, there was only a copy that costs as much as a new one.
jewell
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

kayrenee

Post by kayrenee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:59 am

Jewell, I sold my previous copy of Little Hearts (of which I just bought a new copy again, LOL) on the swap board at homeschoolreviews.com . I don't see any HOD stuff on there right now, but occasionally it pops up. You might keep an eye out there. But be quick about it... they go fast! I had two inquiries the same day I posted it.

jewell

Post by jewell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:02 am

I'll look there, Donnna
btw, I have 4 girls followd by 6 boys!
Monique
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:06 am

jewell wrote:I'll look there, Donnna
btw, I have 4 girls followd by 6 boys!
Monique
WOAH! That is a house full! Congratulations. My son would be happy at your house. Nothing but girls for him at our house. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

kayrenee

Post by kayrenee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:07 am

jewell wrote:btw, I have 4 girls followd by 6 boys!
Monique
Is that a hint? :wink: :lol: My 9yo wants a little brother in the worst way! We keep telling her it's up to God. :D

jewell

Post by jewell » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 am

aagh...My post from last night disappeared!
Maybe it was me.

Well, I ordered the program for 2-3 year olds, figuring we could do that for now, and jumping to the older one for my nearly 5 year old in the fall if we need to.

But it is a little "scarey" when your 3 year 2 month old son goes into the kitchen, looks at the analog clock and says "It's 4" and he's right. Now I'm not SURE he was telling time, but he does know all his letter/sounds orally or visually, and can order numbers up to 5, maybe higher.....I've had some w/ learning issues, so maybe I'm just off here, but we haven't even worked with him on anything but the letter sounds. And that was mostly the Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD!

jewell
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:53 am

Jewell-
I'm excited for you to do LHTH, and your 3 yo seems like he's ready to learn many things! It sounds like he's going to be a "natural" in school. What a wonderful beginning to learning! Be sure and share with us your "box day". It's becoming somewhat of a tradition we love to share in at HOD!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jewell

Box day

Post by jewell » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:10 am

No, it's not yet...how long does it usually take?
8)
MQ
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:23 am

jewell,

Orders are shipped the next day after you've placed the order (except on Sundays). They go priority mail and are gauranteed anywhere in the U.S. in 3-4 business days! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

jewell

I was WRONG!

Post by jewell » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:47 am

After supper, my husband realized no one had gotten the mail. Since I had some of the resources, and bought the what I didn't second hand, I was just awaiting my Teacher's book.
WOW...It was there! I made all my girls and Terry look at it. Someone they weren't quite as excited, but it was a relief to me now to have to do all the planning. If only I'd kept my preschool plans as I taught over the years...but each child was a bit different and I had different things on hand, so I didn't. sigh.
I love it. I think my 5 year old will do well to help him get into the routine, but will quickly need the older one (in a couple of weeks?..).I don't know if I should just wait and try to challenge him w/ extra/different activities and have something new/ fun for K in the Fall . this is going to be the challendgne sicne both boys know their letter sounds....I need to keep them challenged.
I think whether I order the harder one for my almost 5 year old will depend on what happens w my one year old. We are having some test in the next 10 days, and if he ends up needing surgery, I think I'll order the other one for the 5 year old so it's easier for others to do school w/ him while I'm gone. then again, maybe I could just make folders of worksheets of the wonderful Kumon stuff I already have...
Enough rambling
I was so glad for the treat last night!
I was also intrigued by the reading book for two of my older boys....
jewell
mommy, educator of 10

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Jewell...we will keep your little one in our prayers.
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

jewell

our little guy

Post by jewell » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:54 pm

thanks for the prayers.
He is one, has microcephaly (small brain) and is doing incredibly well. This little guy who was mostly unresponsive to his enviroment in April is walking, very social, interactive and happy! God has been gracious. He would have graciously seen us through if things didn't turn out so "well" too. :D
But little Z has tests coming up to determine if there is a malformation in his GI tract somewhere. He cannot keep down foods above a level 1 baby food. And he self-limits how much he does on that. It breaks this mommy's heart to see him want food, but know he will likely vomit if I give it to him. :cry: This does not seem to be a reflux issue.
Our 15 year old was tube-fed for 4 years, so feeding issues are nothing new. :roll: But we moved, so I don't get to go to the dr.s I'm used to. But there again, God has provided what I believe to be, so far, a good GI dr who is also a brother in Christ.
One test is Wed. Depending on how it turns out, the next one may be the next Tuesday.
Probably more than you really wanted to know! :oops:

But having this curric is good. If I have to be gone w/ him, others can easily take over. If I am at home, but just having feeding issues, it will decrease my prep time.

jewell
jewell
mommy, educator of 10